Concealed Carry

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm Click on 'Chest Holster'. Tipped off to this by a FAM buddy of mine. You always have full control (unlike small of the back or even strong-side hip). Available even when seat belted in to your vehicle. Conceals under a T-Shirt, especially for 'In shape" people like members of this board. Get the 'Muzzle Up" version for concealed carry, obviously. If you have a single action, you may want to carry Condition 3, but that's up to you. Open carry: Support the concept (like no helmet laws), but you better be have a good security holster and be well versed in weapon retention - some people aren't intimidated by the exposed carry of a weapon... or it might be "shoot me first", from behind.
I've always disliked ankle and chest rigs, just aren't for me. Last I checked there's only been one case of in all of the United States of someone taking a weapon form some one open carrying. I used a kydex holster made by Black Dog Concealment. Great setup.

TheKing7

Awards
I'm a broke ass college kid so I conceal carry my Keltec p11. Thing has some decent kick when fired but it is a reliable and cheap option. Of course I plan to expand my collection, but right now the timing is not good and it does the job. I use an in the waistband holster made by DeSantis called the Pro Stealth I believe. I like it and think it suits me and thats what its all about.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I'm a broke ass college kid so I conceal carry my Keltec p11. Thing has some decent kick when fired but it is a reliable and cheap option. Of course I plan to expand my collection, but right now the timing is not good and it does the job. I use an in the waistband holster made by DeSantis called the Pro Stealth I believe. I like it and think it suits me and thats what its all about.
so you live off campus?

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Yep I live off campus. I actually live at home right now and commute because I am just doing clinical affiliations close to home.
alright, figured you knew better but it's hard telling these days. I had a guy who hung with my buddy who never knew you couldn't carry on campus and when I told him he freaked out (and rightfully so).

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I've always disliked ankle and chest rigs, just aren't for me. Last I checked there's only been one case of in all of the United States of someone taking a weapon form some one open carrying. I used a kydex holster made by Black Dog Concealment. Great setup.
That's a statistics game, IMO. The number of civilian open carriers is miniscule, as a whole. It happens to LE often enough:

http://www.policemag.com/list/tag/gun-grabs.aspx

If every CCW'er switched to OC, you would see the numbers go up, IMO (although, yeah, the number of armed people of any type, is still miniscule, compared to the population at large). And the "shoot me first" factor is undeniable. If you were planning to kill for a gas station register, and you walked in and saw a dude in front of you with a pistol on his hip, what would you do?

I'm pro 2A all the way, been carrying for 25 years... but to me, open carry introduces 2 possible detriments, in the hopes of gaining some form of deterrence.

But again, I'm all for it, from a liberty standpoint. I love not being required to wear a helmet when I ride... but I do in most cases. I'll tell you when open carry is great: When you're in training, and need to run down the road for a can of Copenhagen - you don't need to do the gear and wardrobe dance! :)

To each their own, variety is the spice of life! Stay safe.

TheKing7

Awards
alright, figured you knew better but it's hard telling these days. I had a guy who hung with my buddy who never knew you couldn't carry on campus and when I told him he freaked out (and rightfully so).
Damn thats crazy he could have got his ass in some deep ****. Some states you are allowed to carry on college campus, but I am not sure how I feel about that.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I bet a lot of people at VA Tech, circa 2007, wish someone was carrying "Illegally".

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
True...cops deal with more potential grabs from confrontations but then again if you get in a situation like that it could happen to you also. If I lived in the city id have a retention holster for sure. But small country towns I didn't think twice about my kydex holster

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I have mixed feelings. I'm all for carrying on campus plain and simple. Those who are capable should do it. BUT all those people in dorms and crappy apartments have to store their guns somewhere sometimes. So you put it in your dorm...in what safe? Good safes are too heavy to get in there. You bolt a smaller/portable safe down...like campus would let you bolt anything down to their property and cause damage. You have a roommate who also has friends and they come over with or without you knowing it at completely random times...that sketches me out to leave a firearm even in a safe with random people coming over. How about buy a small vehicle safe and keep it in there where you aren't carrying...your parked on campus or on a street/lot so that's sketchy as well. I've thought of 100 reason why it's sketchy owning a gun on campus or while going to school but with that being said I have zero problems carrying a gun on school property. A carried gun is a secured gun, I believe the problems you will run into is when you have to take the gun off your person.

TheKing7

Awards
You made some good points and I 100 percent agree with ya. It's not the issue of law abiding citizens carrying on campus, it's all the other factors of other people possibly have access to a weapon when they should not.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Winter: Walther P99c OWB (belt carry).
Summer: Glock 42 or Glock 26 IWB or OWB if wearing a button up shirt
Everyday. Ever since CC came to Illinois.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Kimber CDP II 3in .45 in galco holster. EDC

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Winter: Walther P99c OWB (belt carry). Summer: Glock 42 or Glock 26 IWB or OWB if wearing a button up shirt Everyday. Ever since CC came to Illinois.
do you use just any regular belt or one made for carrying a gun?

QuinoaSucks

QuinoaSucks

Awards
God I miss living in the country. Driving around with a rifle or shotgun in the back was the sh1t

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
God I miss living in the country. Driving around with a rifle or shotgun in the back was the sh1t
yea I grew up in a town of a few hundred people, one place to eat at and nothing but farmland. Culture shock when I moved north near the city. Can't ride around with 2-3 guns in your backseat without people shaking scared.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
do you use just any regular belt or one made for carrying a gun?
I normally sure a 1.5 inch leather belt. It is actually from Calvin Klein. Its about 2 years old and starting to look bad. But still works. I've tried gun belts and most have broke within the year.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
I normally sure a 1.5 inch leather belt. It is actually from Calvin Klein. Its about 2 years old and starting to look bad. But still works. I've tried gun belts and most have broke within the year.
If you ever order a custom leather holster, I have a sharkskin one, he throw in a 1.5 in sharkskin belt to match. I love it

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
If you ever order a custom leather holster, I have a sharkskin one, he throw in a 1.5 in sharkskin belt to match. I love it
Do you have a Link for the Company? I'm always looking for better.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I've never have a belt break. What causes them to break? Just the fact that they have zero give?

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I've never have a belt break. What causes them to break? Just the fact that they have zero give?
Its where the belt holes are they wear out and break? And I've had one have the belt stud break off. I think the belts I was getting from the gun stores are crap.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Thanks I will look into them.
My other two holsters: milt Sparks and then Mitch Rosen. Amazing amazing amazing wait for it...... Amazing quality hahaha

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I caved in and got a gen4 glock 22 yesterday. Needs a holster now.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
I caved in and got a gen4 glock 22 yesterday. Needs a holster now.
You looking for leather or something else? I have a Blackhawk for my sig p239 and I love it. Finger release safety. Still can get it out fast. But not as slim as a leather can be

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
You looking for leather or something else? I have a Blackhawk for my sig p239 and I love it. Finger release safety. Still can get it out fast. But not as slim as a leather can be
I use to use kydex OWB but I want something inside the waistband now. I don't really care about the material as long as it's comfortable and keeps my gun secure

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I've always felt weird about this but what do you guys/gals think...when you use the bathroom stall at a public place do you feel weird dropping your pants and worrying about someone seeing your gun?

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Look into Blackhawk serpa. You can flip the holster upside down and shake it and the gun won't fall out. It's kydex and I think it comes with a OWB clip and belt loops. It's a finger released holster. It's comfy for me whenever I carry. But I mostly carry IWB leather 1911.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Look into Blackhawk serpa. You can flip the holster upside down and shake it and the gun won't fall out. It's kydex and I think it comes with a OWB clip and belt loops. It's a finger released holster. It's comfy for me whenever I carry. But I mostly carry IWB leather 1911.
I'm familiar with them. You use level 2 serpa?

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
I'm familiar with them. You use level 2 serpa?
Yes sir level 2. Again I'll wear it to the range or out in the fields but it's not something I carry daily

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Keep that SERPA "latch" clean... You saw a lot of them in Iraq... then you didn't, LOL.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I've always felt weird about this but what do you guys/gals think...when you use the bathroom stall at a public place do you feel weird dropping your pants and worrying about someone seeing your gun?
Unholster and put it in the crotch of your pants - you don't need to drop the waistband all the way to the floor - just below your knees.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Unholster and put it in the crotch of your pants - you don't need to drop the waistband all the way to the floor - just below your knees.
ah good thinking. I get weird about stuff like that because I know my home town people don't care but in the city someone may hear that sound a gun makes when unholstered from kydex. Most people wouldn't know that sound but you and I would be like "a gun just came out".

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
You know what's great? Spending $600, buying two hundred rounds of ammo and hitting the range only to discover a .40 Glock pelts you in the friggin forehead 2-3 times every mag with the ejected shells. (Im left handed) this is such crap.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You know what's great? Spending $600, buying two hundred rounds of ammo and hitting the range only to discover a .40 Glock pelts you in the friggin forehead 2-3 times every mag with the ejected shells. (Im left handed) this is such crap.
We shot 500 rounds last time and that fcuker hurt my hand so bad! Lol, a few rounds landed in between my boobs.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
We shot 500 rounds last time and that fcuker hurt my hand so bad! Lol, a few rounds landed in between my boobs.
what caliber? I've never had my hands hurt- even when I weighed 115lbs and shot .44 mag revolvers my wrist and hands didn't hurt.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Nope but I do most of the time take my gun out (when in the stall) and put in my coat jacket or even in the pants, resting by my leg.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what caliber? I've never had my hands hurt- even when I weighed 115lbs and shot .44 mag revolvers my wrist and hands didn't hurt.
It was a Glock 19. My hands are tiny and having fake nails did not help either.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
oh I hadn't thought about girls having nails
It sucked because when I was re-gripping, I would have to press down hard on my nails. This is the reason why I finally stop wearing fake nails. Shooting over nails any day! :D Also, I don't like the grip on the glock. It makes me feel like I'm re-gripping my hands raw on a barbell. :/

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
It sucked because when I was re-gripping, I would have to press down hard on my nails. This is the reason why I finally stop wearing fake nails. Shooting over nails any day! :D Also, I don't like the grip on the glock. It makes me feel like I'm re-gripping my hands raw on a barbell. :/
Couldn't agree more, the only polymer frame i like is the P239 its a single stacked thin line gripped sig, I just feel more comfortable with the checkering and the backstrap/beavertails of 1911s.. but i know i am one of the few.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
was it a gen4 or gen3. It its the rough texture you don't like a gen3 doesn't have that. The Smith and Wesson m&p 9c has a crazy good grip with no rough texture like a gen4 glock.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
was it a gen4 or gen3. It its the rough texture you don't like a gen3 doesn't have that. The Smith and Wesson m&p 9c has a crazy good grip with no rough texture like a gen4 glock.
I'm not sure but I hate the sights on them also. I really like the m&p.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure but I hate the sights on them also. I really like the m&p.
glock sights go one of two ways- you love them or hate them. I can't stand them but don't have the extra cash to spend on Mepro sights right now. I did a trigger job of my friends new glock 19 and installed HD night sights, we where all shooting 2" groups casually at 10 yards. If you know someone who can do a real trigger job for you I would look into it.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
Trigger pull was maybe 4lbs so it wasn't too light, still heavy enough for self defense.

Gainaddict

Gainaddict

Awards
  • Established
I've ready bought meprolight night sights, extended slide and take down releases, reduced weight plunger spring, 6lb striker spring, 6lb trigger spring, Ghost Evo Elite trigger connector, and I picked up a 4lb striker spring and 12 and 13lb recoil spring to play with to see if I can't get my gun shooting better. The friggin thing ejects one or two shells in my face each mag so I'm thinking maybe dropping the stock recoil spring weight down a pound or two may make the brass clear my face 100% of the time. If you are on a budget And love guns buying a glock (or 1911) is just asking to blow money quick on upgrades lol

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tried out a few guns tonight! My favorite.... A Sig p226 and a KAHR cw9!!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've ready bought meprolight night sights, extended slide and take down releases, reduced weight plunger spring, 6lb striker spring, 6lb trigger spring, Ghost Evo Elite trigger connector, and I picked up a 4lb striker spring and 12 and 13lb recoil spring to play with to see if I can't get my gun shooting better. The friggin thing ejects one or two shells in my face each mag so I'm thinking maybe dropping the stock recoil spring weight down a pound or two may make the brass clear my face 100% of the time. If you are on a budget And love guns buying a glock (or 1911) is just asking to blow money quick on upgrades lol
I bought a 1911 and am perfectly happy with it, no upgrades needed.