Coming off TRT - your experience?

kck

Awards
I'm thinking about going on TRT.

Before starting, I thought I'd ask about any negative experiences or problems people have had coming off TRT.

Thanks in advance

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
Well you're going to need to kickstart your htpa again, you'll need to cycle off man.

What is your dosage

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Unless you use HCG or possibly a SERM religiously throughout TRT you are going to lose a lot of HTPA function after coming off. In other words your testosterone levels will likely be 20% or more lower than before TRT. Possibly much lower than that. The leydig cells in your testes will atrophy and will not regain full function. Possible damage to your pituitary gland too, I haven't seen evidence of this however. But I wouldn't doubt it.

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
Unless you use HCG or possibly a SERM religiously throughout TRT you are going to lose a lot of HTPA function after coming off. In other words your testosterone levels will likely be 20% or more lower than before TRT. Possibly much lower than that. The leydig cells in your testes will atrophy and will not regain full function. Possible damage to your pituitary gland too, I haven't seen evidence of this however. But I wouldn't doubt it.
He could use tamoxifen throughout to keep his nuts from shriveling up

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great question OP. In the same boat and watching closely for answers. HCG throughout is a very small expense and well worth the protection IMO....one thing I'd stick to.

RickyB - what would be sufficient in your opinion for hcg. Something like 250iu 3X per week maybe?

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Only time I came completely off TRT was trying for a child because sperm count went to crap. Doc gave HCG only at first and then clomid. I remember especially when adding the clomid I felt almost like I was back on like had awesome pumps and strength boost no negatives at all.. unless your trying for a child I don’t see any benefit to coming off.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
TRT is a medical need. You don't come off of it or cycle it. When your LH/FSH shuts down or doesn't make enough T physiologically you have to make the choice.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
TRT is a medical need. You don't come off of it or cycle it. When your LH/FSH shuts down or doesn't make enough T physiologically you have to make the choice.
100% correct. But it's tough committing to something g like that for life. What if there is a financial problem for example and you cant afford trt for a few years? Cant see what going on in 20 years.....I think that is what makes this a great question.

kck

Awards
Dosage TBD. Protocol would include Testosterone Cypionate, HCG and Arimidex. Waiting for bloodworm and physical before starting.

If I decide to cycle off TRT at 6 months, what would kickstarting my HPTA include. I've done Sarms/PHs and used clomid with success. Is this more complex?

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
Dosage TBD. Protocol would include Testosterone Cypionate, HCG and Arimidex. Waiting for bloodworm and physical before starting.

If I decide to cycle off TRT at 6 months, what would kickstarting my HPTA include. I've done Sarms/PHs and used clomid with success. Is this more complex?
Its the same, youre just restarting your natural t production like you would be if you were on a ph. Both injections (trt) and phs shut down your hormone production naturally, so if you do decide to come off it, you'll need to get yourself rolling again or you could have further issues later on down the road.

kck

Awards
Great question OP. In the same boat and watching closely for answers. HCG throughout is a very small expense and well worth the protection IMO....one thing I'd stick to.

RickyB - what would be sufficient in your opinion for hcg. Something like 250iu 3X per week maybe?
Definitely going with HCG. Are you currently on TRT and considering coming off or considering starting?

Shiznitzz

Shiznitzz

Awards
  • Established
I've used clomid on previous cycles with no problems. I'm hoping no body points me to information that tamoxifen is necessary. I would do if needed.
According to PubMed, there is no advantage of using one over the other as far as the medications are concerned (as a study done on infirtile women for ovulation).

If you take clomid better than tamoxifen then theres no reason why you shouldn't use clomid to cycle off trt.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15845599/

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Definitely going with HCG. Are you currently on TRT and considering coming off or considering starting?
Yea - hcg on cycle seems to make a world of difference with recovery. Plus gives me a nice extra boost on libido. Cant go wrong. I'm seriously considering starting trt.....the only thing stopping me is what I stated....the unknown in a decade etc. I think I'll probably start it up soon though.

kck

Awards
Yea - hcg on cycle seems to make a world of difference with recovery. Plus gives me a nice extra boost on libido. Cant go wrong. I'm seriously considering starting trt.....the only thing stopping me is what I stated....the unknown in a decade etc. I think I'll probably start it up soon though.
Me too. I don't even want to run it for that long. I was thinking more like a couple years, but I could be naive about timing.

RockyP

Awards
I'm thinking about going on TRT.

Before starting, I thought I'd ask about any negative experiences or problems people have had coming off TRT.

Thanks in advance
I was on trt for 5 years for medical reasons. My blood indicated I was not making test on my own anymore. Got on clomid as I was getting off the T and everything restarted. Now I am off the clomid. Is not great, but I stopped being horny all the time so that's a plus.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Am I the only one that thinks it’s weird to get on trt and your first questions is how is it to drop trt? You don’t drop trt... you need it. Perhaps you meant you wanna stay on test year round and you don’t actually need it but you wanna know how it’ll be once you drop that lifestyle in a few years?

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Man I’m reading these comments and I’m lost. How can someone consider dropping trt? Unless you jumped on trt without really needing it there’s no such thing as dropping trt lol.

RockyP

Awards
Man I’m reading these comments and I’m lost. How can someone consider dropping trt? Unless you jumped on trt without really needing it there’s no such thing as dropping trt lol.
Well i got on it because mt T was at 196. But the issues with cholesterol and the constant blood work to check RBC, worrying about what would happen the moment i lose insurance, getting old and the constant being horny I decided to get off. I am not sure how long I will stay off, I will have to see the give and take of both.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well i got on it because mt T was at 196. But the issues with cholesterol and the constant blood work to check RBC, worrying about what would happen the moment i lose insurance, getting old and the constant being horny I decided to get off. I am not sure how long I will stay off, I will have to see the give and take of both.
But don’t you think you’ll be miserable going back to 196ish total testosterone?.. I understand trt can be a struggle but...

RockyP

Awards
But don’t you think you’ll be miserable going back to 196ish total testosterone?.. I understand trt can be a struggle but...
I am not sure what it will be yet. Late Oct i'll do bloodwork and see where it is without clomid. At that point I will make an assessment. Plus now with no being able to go to the gym it would make it worse. I'm about to be 54 so we shall see, but I gotta tell you T also turned me into a bear lol I was already hairy but now it's out of control.