Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Heath Herring

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s initial trip to Minnesota on August 9th just got bigger with today’s signing of the UFC Welterweight Title bout between Champion Georges St-Pierre and number one contender Jon Fitch, which will headline the UFC 87 card at Target Center.

It will be St-Pierre’s first bout since he regained his crown from Matt Serra at UFC 83 on April 19th. In Fitch, he will be facing a former Division I wrestler who has won eight consecutive UFC bouts without a loss, the longest streak in modern-day UFC history.

“He’s a very, very tough guy,” said St-Pierre of Fitch. “I’m gonna have to train hard and be very well prepared because he may be my toughest fight yet.”

“The whole goal is to get the belt and be in the position where guys can’t duck me, run away, or say they don’t want to fight me,” said Fitch. “If I have the belt, there’s no excuse, and if you say you’re the best, then we’re gonna fight. This is gonna be a tough fight, but I’m gonna make sure I’m sharp that night, and wherever the fight needs to go, that’s fine with me.”

In other action on the UFC 87 card, heavyweight sensation Brock Lesnar returns home for a pivotal bout in his rise up the UFC ranks. Lesnar was originally scheduled to face UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman on August

9th, but a knee injury has forced ‘The Hammer’ to withdraw from the show. Lesnar’s opponent will be announced shortly.

Lightweight contenders Kenny Florian and Roger Huerta will also throw down in a highly anticipated bout that may determine a future challenger for the 155-pound crown.

Tickets for UFC 87: Seek and Destroy go on sale Sunday May 25th at 12 Noon CT and will be priced at $600, $400, $250, $125, $75 and $50. Tickets for UFC 87 will be available at Target Center's Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, online at ticketmaster.com or by calling 651.989.5151.

UFC® : Ultimate Fighting Championship®

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
OMG sweet!

I must get the 50 dollar tix. :head:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I say either Heath or Cheick gets Lesnar. Werdum/Vera are fighting at 85, so they're taken already.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
How about they bring in The Undertaker. I heard he's got a sick gogo-plata :D

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
How about they bring in The Undertaker. I heard he's got a sick gogo-plata :D
hahahahahaahahahahahaha oh my god the dead man will choke slam his way to victory:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Herring/Lesnar could be interesting. The benefit to LEsnar is Herring has little to no takedown defense whatsoever so I am seeing Lesnar via early tko stoppage

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Interesting fight since Heath is a veteran, but I see Lesnar taking it.

Stackt

Stackt

Awards
Lesnar should be better ....I thought his first fight he could of won w/o that stupid rule hitting back of the head : (

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My powers continue to serve me well. This might be a replay of Heath/Erikson from years ago in PRIDE. It would be hilarious to see Brock go 0-2 in the UFC.
I would be seriously demoralized.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would be seriously demoralized.
You would be further demoralized if Kimbo lost this upcoming fight, only to face Brock in a rink-a-dink promotion after he loses to Herring.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You would be further demoralized if Kimbo lost this upcoming fight, only to face Brock in a rink-a-dink promotion after he loses to Herring.
I have higher hopes for Lesnar then Kimbo. I think Lesnar has far greater potential. Plus, Kimbo has a far higher risk of a short lived carrier. All it takes is one loss and the flood gates will open about, "oohhhh I told you so, Kimbo sucks" people have been laying in wait, rabid foaming to drop the ax on him and if Elite XC is primarily concerned about whats Now & Hot, then the Kimbo phenomenon may dwindle quickly. Lesnar however, has legitimate talent in speed, agility, power, highly respectable wrestling history, but may lack in "real" fight smarts compared to Kimbo. I think if Lesnar progresses talent wise, he'll have much greater staying power. I don't think Lesnar's first loss did anything to de-poof the enthusiasm surrounding him. It certainly didn't help to increase his stock, but he received a lot of grace and invested hope didn't seem to dissolve. However, I think Kimbo may be alloted one, maybe two losses before he has to re-gather the homies to film a backyard brawl. He seems to be the guy you love to hate (and I understand the argument behind his disdain; promotes a bad image and draws bad fans), I'm not completely in agreement with that, but I've had this conversation.

I'm more concerned about the Kimbo/Mike Tyson fight anyway :dance:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys are hilarious. I'm really not Kimbo's number one fan. He's probably not even top 5. I've always defended him out of principle, not fanaticism. Defense out of principle, you can appreciate that Mullet, Esq. :hammer:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys are hilarious. I'm really not Kimbo's number one fan. He's probably not even top 5. I've always defended him out of principle, not fanaticism. Defense out of principle, you can appreciate that Mullet, Esq. :hammer:
Defense vis-a-vis principles is my middle name, bruv.

I was only joking about Lesnar. He is very legitimate, in my opinion; wrestlers with far lesser pedigree have faired exceptionally well in the UFC. I would be much more skeptical had Lesnar debuted and had his subsequent fights in PRIDE, however. UFC as an organization is a favorable domain for wrestlers.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
People I like more then Kimbo, in no particular hierarchy:

1. Fedor
2. Sakuraba
3. Gomi
4. BJ Penn
5. GSP
6. Rampage
7. Anderson Silva
8. Lesnar (with high hopes)
9. CroCop
9. Bret Heart from the old WWF Heart Foundation Tag Team
10. The Ultimate Warrior
11. Sting, before he became The Crow reincarnate.
12. Cung Le

and then Kimbo

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Completely OT, but is it blasphemy if I feel GSP is a more complete fighter than Anderson Silva? Before anybody attacks, I simply feel that GSP has faced the highest calibre opponents, in what was, at one time, the UFC's most competitive division.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Completely OT, but is it blasphemy if I feel GSP is a more complete fighter than Anderson Silva? Before anybody attacks, I simply feel that GSP has faced the highest calibre opponents, in what was, at one time, the UFC's most competitive division.
I don't have enough insight to compare, contrast and pick those two fighters apart. I think GSP has more relative power, striking efficiency may go to Silva, take down dominance goes to GSP. There is a lot to consider. Judging by both of their last fights, perhaps using the GSP vs Hughes may be a better comparison then GSP vs Serra, I'm not sure people thought much of Serra, but GSP "dominated" his opponent, whereas, Silva defeated his opponent.

Maybe a cut & past polling template would serve well.

GSP or Silva:

Striking Accuracy:
Striking Power:

Kicking Power:
Kicking Accuracy

Take Down Ability:
Take Down Defense:

General Awareness:
Mental Strength & Confidence:
Composure:

G&P Efficiency:

Ground Control:
Ground Defense:

General Speed & Agility or Quickness:
General Power:
General Strength:

Flexibility:
Conditioning:

Fight Intelligence:

I'm sure the list can go on.... but I'll go first after this.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP or Silva:

Striking Accuracy: Silva
Striking Power: GSP

Kicking Power: Silva
Kicking Accuracy Silva

Take Down Ability: GSP
Take Down Defense: GSP

General Awareness: GSP
Mental Strength & Confidence: Silva
Composure: Silva

G&P Efficiency: GSP

Ground Control: GSP
Ground Defense: Silva

General Speed & Agility or Quickness: GSP
General Power: GSP
General Strength: GSP

Flexibility: Silva
Conditioning: GSP

Fight Intelligence: GSP

Edit: Adding

General Ground Game: Silva
General Stand Up: GSP

Add to the list at will, I am definitely not the most insightful, fight savvy person here, perhaps one of the least.

I have 12 to 8, GSP. From my very limited and perhaps short sighted poll.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Possibly, due to this background in Karate, GSP's striking may actually be overrated; that is, at least in terms of its efficiency and accuracy, and maybe to a degree in his power.

Make no mistake, I feel Anderson's defeat of Hendo really showed his versatility; and his defeat over Lutter most definitely showed his ability to overcome adversity (greater than GSP's, IMO). However, with that being said, both Lutter and Hendo pushed Anderson further than GSP has been pushed since losing to Serra. GSP has been other-worldly dominant in his fights since last April. As you said, I feel Anderson's victories have been, at least in my opinion, less clinical and complete than GSP's.

EDIT:

GSP's loss to Serra was a double-edged sword - that fight both pushed him towards this new level, and keeps people from being as zealous about him as they were previously.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think GSP is more complete in the sense that he has no weakness. Andy's wrestling is very sub-par and may end up being his downfall. However, Andy has something that GSP does not: dominance in a particular aspect of the game. His striking is just on another level now.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think GSP is more complete in the sense that he has no weakness. Andy's wrestling is very sub-par and may end up being his downfall. However, Andy has something that GSP does not: dominance in a particular aspect of the game. His striking is just on another level now.
True - however, with that being said, you could make the case that GSP's wrestling is more dominant - comparatively - than is Anderson's striking. His TD success rate is 80%...80%! That is phenomenal. Especially since the Serra loss, he has had maybe one TD attempt stuffed - if that.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
GSP or Silva:

Striking Accuracy: Silva
Striking Power: GSP

Kicking Power: Silva
Kicking Accuracy Silva

Take Down Ability: GSP
Take Down Defense: GSP

General Awareness: GSP
Mental Strength & Confidence: Silva
Composure: Silva

G&P Efficiency: GSP

Ground Control: GSP
Ground Defense: Silva

General Speed & Agility or Quickness: GSP
General Power: GSP
General Strength: GSP

Flexibility: Silva
Conditioning: GSP

Fight Intelligence: GSP

Edit: Adding

General Ground Game: Silva
General Stand Up: GSP

Add to the list at will, I am definitely not the most insightful, fight savvy person here, perhaps one of the least.

I have 12 to 8, GSP. From my very limited and perhaps short sighted poll.
I don't agree with the bolded ones. General Stand Up : GSP is ridiculous. Stand up is the way you beat GSP. A 170 Liddell would make for the best chance of beating him.

I think Anderson has more striking power. He doesn't look like it, but he ends fights with a few strikes quickly. He dropped Leben the first time with 2 or 3 punches while Terry Martin landed 3 straight bombs on his chin, and it didn't drop him.

Speed and agility and general awareness and fight intelligence are pretty even if you ask me (in a pound-4-pound sense), although Anderson's comes out in the striking game more whereas GSP shows it more in a wrestling sense.

Anderson's chin is much better too. Anderson is just way more dangerous too. GSP may dominate you more from start to finish, but with Silva, one mistake and the fight can be painfully over 3 seconds later.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't agree with the bolded ones. General Stand Up : GSP is ridiculous. Stand up is the way you beat GSP. A 170 Liddell would make for the best chance of beating him.

I think Anderson has more striking power. He doesn't look like it, but he ends fights with a few strikes quickly. He dropped Leben the first time with 2 or 3 punches while Terry Martin landed 3 straight bombs on his chin, and it didn't drop him.

Speed and agility and general awareness and fight intelligence are pretty even if you ask me (in a pound-4-pound sense), although Anderson's comes out in the striking game more whereas GSP shows it more in a wrestling sense.

Anderson's chin is much better too. Anderson is just way more dangerous too. GSP may dominate you more from start to finish, but with Silva, one mistake and the fight can be painfully over 3 seconds later.
GSP is beyond a doubt faster and more agile than Anderson, no question there. I said above I felt GSP's power (striking) is and was overrated, so no disagreement there.

I feel you are wrong about "Stand up is the way you beat GSP. A 170 Liddell would make for the best chance of beating him". I agree his stand-up is overrated, but it is not as if standing and trading with him is a sound strategy (see: Penn). BJ has incredibly heavy hands, and GSP withstood a very close stand-up battle there, and his TD has improved since then. BJ's hands are constantly lauded for how heavy they are, and GSP withstood that.

I think you are rating GSP's chin respective to his loss to Serra, which is not very reflective of his entire career.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I thought Anderson did reasonably well against Henderson defending those TDs from the clinch. Hendo only had 1 that I remember. Silva's guard is just plain nasty too with those upkicks.

His fight with Lutter is definitely troubling, though. Can he defend against a guy with a good shot? Hell, Lutter's isn't even that great at all. Were his knees just bad from surgery against Lutter?

I'm excited to see him fight Okami. Hope that one's next.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
GSP is beyond a doubt faster and more agile than Anderson, no question there. I said above I felt GSP's power (striking) is and was overrated, so no disagreement there.

I feel you are wrong about "Stand up is the way you beat GSP. A 170 Liddell would make for the best chance of beating him". I agree his stand-up is overrated, but it is not as if standing and trading with him is a sound strategy (see: Penn). BJ has incredibly heavy hands, and GSP withstood a very close stand-up battle there, and his TD has improved since then. BJ's hands are constantly lauded for how heavy they are, and GSP withstood that.

I think you are rating GSP's chin respective to his loss to Serra, which is not very reflective of his entire career.
Maybe the chin thing is unfair in that the Serra strike was more back of the head. At the same time, I've never seen Anderson really flinch from any strike so GSP may have a good chin but I still think Anderson's is better.

I say standup is the way to beat GSP because on the ground, he will end up on top of you. He always is able to pass guard so you can't sub him very easily. Maybe you could dirty box a little in the clinch, but it's likely that he'll take you down. He's shown weakness in the standup against Serra and BJ. I don't think anyone other than BJ and Hughes :)twisted:) has a good shot at beating him, though.

Off topic: Did anyone see that Mark Hughes may start fighting again? There's an article on MMAweekly about it. :blink:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I think it's undeniable this is a different GSP than first faced BJ - I feel he would take that matchup 70-75% of the time.

I see what you are saying about GSP's chin, but you have to judge his body of work as a whole; other than the Serra fight, his other fights, even as far back as UCC/TKO did not trouble me in terms of his chin. Serra/GSP was Rahman/Lewis, IMO - not a very fair indicatory of GSP's general chin strength.

As well, like you said, Lutter nearly finished Anderson. GSP has barely lost a round since losing to Serra (has he?). While Anderson is bar none the most dangerous striker in the game, he has not faced as complete a fighter as St.Pierre. GSP is a better MMA-wrestler than Hendo.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Well, I think it's undeniable this is a different GSP than first faced BJ - I feel he would take that matchup 70-75% of the time.

I see what you are saying about GSP's chin, but you have to judge his body of work as a whole; other than the Serra fight, his other fights, even as far back as UCC/TKO did not trouble me in terms of his chin. Serra/GSP was Rahman/Lewis, IMO - not a very fair indicatory of GSP's general chin strength.

As well, like you said, Lutter nearly finished Anderson. GSP has barely lost a round since losing to Serra (has he?). While Anderson is bar none the most dangerous striker in the game, he has not faced as complete a fighter as St.Pierre. GSP is a better MMA-wrestler than Hendo.
He arguably lost one round against Kos, but I agree with you in that he is a better overall fighter than Anderson. Anderson is the king of a shitty division, while GSP is dominant in a much deeper talent pool. GSP is #2 P4P imo. We all know who #1 is.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He arguably lost one round against Kos, but I agree with you in that he is a better overall fighter than Anderson. Anderson is the king of a shitty division, while GSP is dominant in a much deeper talent pool. GSP is #2 P4P imo. We all know who #1 is.
Yeah, that was my thought process. Anderson is doing what Chuck did a few years ago - dominate a very weak pool. Marquardt, Luter, were these really fighters we thought were dominant, title-contending fighters? Throw in Rich who had never seen a clinch, apparently, and his run is not that impressive.

I think it goes:

1) Fedya
2) GSP
3) Anderson
4) JZ (I really just dislike Aoki, and that NC was pathetic on his part)
5) A number of fighters, IMO.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I got:
1) Fedor
2) GSP
3) Anderson
4) Penn
5) Faber

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got:
1) Fedor
2) GSP
3) Anderson
4) Penn
5) Faber
I would put Penn as my #5 slot, but would not include Faber. I think he is a very impressive cat, but I feel he wouldn't fair well at 155 in the UFC. I feel everybody else on that list could theoretically move up a weight class, aside from Fedya, and do well.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I would put Penn as my #5 slot, but would not include Faber. I think he is a very impressive cat, but I feel he wouldn't fair well at 155 in the UFC. I feel everybody else on that list could theoretically move up a weight class, aside from Fedya, and do well.
Looking at it that way I agree with you, but P4P really means how talented one is at their own weight class, not necessarily how well they would fair against those bigger than them. But he would get crushed at 155 no doubt, look at his fight against Tyson Griffin.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Truth.

Oh, btw, I am getting a free OEB in five weeks! They look like they are from a decent pedigree as well, so I lucked out.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I had made contact with an owner, through kijiji, looking to re-home her Victorian. It eventually came down to us and another couple; while we were definitely more qualified, they told the children they could come see it whenever they wish. Anyway, this woman felt extremely bad (she allowed her children to choose) and introduced me to her friend with a breeding program. The first woman called in a favor to the breeder, and I got hooked up!

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Well, I had made contact with an owner, through kijiji, looking to re-home her Victorian. It eventually came down to us and another couple; while we were definitely more qualified, they told the children they could come see it whenever they wish. Anyway, this woman felt extremely bad (she allowed her children to choose) and introduced me to her friend with a breeding program. The first woman called in a favor to the breeder, and I got hooked up!
You just saved yourself a grand. An arkansas giant bulldog is an OEB crossed with an APBT, so my dog is half OEB. Or if you want to get technical he is approx. half APBT, 1/4 english bulldog, 1/8 American bulldog and 1/8 Bullmastiff. While an OEB is 1/2 English Bulldog, 1/6 APBT, 1/6 American bulldog, and 1/6 Bullmastiff. Ya I have too much time on my hands. Congrats tho. If he's anything like Twinkle he'll be strong as hell and dumb as fvck.