Cod liver oil ok?

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Trying to find ones that don’t upset stomach as far as fish oil. Most fish oils in general bother me but thought about just cod and see if that solves it. Let me know if cod has same effect?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Trying to find ones that don’t upset stomach as far as fish oil. Most fish oils in general bother me but thought about just cod and see if that solves it. Let me know if cod has same effect?
Usually has to do with freshness of product. Rancid product will produce a rancid tummy. I've used both vitamin shoppe liquid cod liver oil, and vitacost liquid cod liver oil with good results from both.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Right. Question is cod liver just as effective as fish oil? Different form
Of fish so didn’t know. I’ve never used cod, just regular fish oil and never agrees with me. It’s why I want to try cod liver oil but not sure of quality or effectiveness

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Of fish so didn’t know. I’ve never used cod, just regular fish oil and never agrees with me. It’s why I want to try cod liver oil but not sure of quality or effectiveness
Cod liver oil will have high levels of vitamin A and D, so it's going to be better than regular fish oil.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Depends on why you want to supplement with it. Most supplement Fish Oil for the EPA + DHA and you get that in Cod Oil, it just tends to need larger amounts to reach the levels of EPA + DHA many may shoot for.

Cod liver oil will have high levels of vitamin A and D, so it's going to be better than regular fish oil.
I wouldn't say better just because of those, most I know use Fish Oil for the EPA + DHA, but if you need more Vitamin D and A or need it all in one product that might be more convenient. Subsequently though having those in there may make it harder to reach optimal EPA + DHA without getting into higher amounts of those vitamins.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Depends on why you want to supplement with it. Most supplement Fish Oil for the EPA + DHA and you get that in Cod Oil, it just tends to need larger amounts to reach the levels of EPA + DHA many may shoot for.

I wouldn't say better just because of those, most I know use Fish Oil for the EPA + DHA, but if you need more Vitamin D and A or need it all in one product that might be more convenient. Subsequently though having those in there may make it harder to reach optimal EPA + DHA without getting into higher amounts of those vitamins.
True, goal dependant. I've personally used both solo, and if had to choose a solo option, would go with the Cod.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
370 mg cod liver per soft gel is mine. I took 3 for around 1000 mg cod liver. Doesn’t say what epa is etc?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ugh, I used to take cod liver oil as a kid. I really hated the taste.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Probably not any fish oil that doesn’t bother stomach. Think I tried them all