Clinical trial to treat androgen-independent prostate cancer (AIPC)

HairyLarry35

Awards
This is an example of one of the clinical trials my hospital is running that I assist in the study. I think a few of you might find it interesting to hear about it now, since the results won't be published for a few years.

BTW, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center is regarded as one of the best (if not THE best) cancer centers in the world.

Check this out:

"Prostate cancers are dependent on the male hormone testosterone for growth. Hormonal therapies that lower the level of cancer-promoting testosterone are among the most effective treatments for prostate cancers that have spread. The effects are not permanent, and over time virtually all tumors progress. Docetaxel is an anticancer drug that is commonly used to treat men with advanced prostate cancer that no longer responds to hormonal therapy ("androgen-independent prostate cancer," or AIPC).

DN-101 (also called calcitriol) is a form of high-dose vitamin D that may enhance the anticancer effects of docetaxel. In this phase III clinical trial, patients with AIPC will be randomly assigned to receive intravenous docetaxel with oral prednisone (the standard treatment) or DN-101 (also given orally) to see which treatment combination is more effective."

Get the full story here: Sloan-Kettering - Find a Clinical Trial

HairyLarry35

Awards
I was at a lecture the other day where doctors are testing a new engineered anti-body that is specific to prostate cancer with a type of isotope attached to it. The anti-body attaches to the site that it is specific to and as the isotope's half-life diminishes, an alpha particle is emitted. The significance of the alpha is that it travels only a short distance, but shreds all of the DNA around it such that it us unrepairable.

Now, which way the alpha goes is unpredictable, BUT if it is attached to the anti-body on the cancer cells, chances of cellular death in the cancer are quite high. Look for more of this type of treatment in the future.

HL

EDIT: and yeah, Vitamin D and its derivatives are really a hot topic right now!