Chest training

N

Nathan1722

Awards
I've been lifting for about 8 months now and am seeing great results. I used to follow a friends workout schedule but I ended up over training I'd do chest twice a week and do 5 sets of every exercise. 6-10 reps We would do incline bench, flat bench, wide grip bench, decline bench, peck deck, and dips I stopped doing this about 4 months ago. I now do 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps and my routine is incline DB bench, flat bench, upper and lower cable cross overs, dips and if I feel like it I'll burn out with push ups or peck deck I still do chest twice a week I'm jw if this is a good routine for chest. Thankyou for your replies

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
Depends on what you are doing for all other muscle groups really, pecs in relation to your back or legs are a tiny muscle group.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For chest I will usually do 3-4 push exercises followed by 3-4 fly exercises. For example, flat bench, incline db bench, decline barbell bench, flat db fly, standing cable fly, incline and decline fly.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you know you were overtraining?

N

Nathan1722

Awards
I know I was over training because I started to get weaker I ended up not even being able to bench a plate idk how plus I was getting headaches every night I feel a lot better doing this now and I'm way stronger than before

N

Nathan1722

Awards
Today is my chest and tri day maybe I'll add a couple exercises thankyou

Snow3y

Snow3y

Awards
Are you noticing improvement doing your routine? If so, then stick with it.. If you hit a plateau you'll need to increase your volume (amount of reps/sets - basically the amount of weight lifted in the session)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try a few different things. Changing the entire routine up can help also. Work chest with back. Do super sets, drop sets, reverse pyramid, high reps, DC training ...etc

This is the routine I'm on now. I will only highlight chest though.

Monday is upper body day. 1 exercise per upper body muscle. For chest, I will do heavy weight low rep of BB incline sometimes followed by a flat bench DB fly.

Then on Thursday I hit chest and back or chest and triceps and I will do my version of a full chest routine which includes this:

BB flat
DB incline
Machine decline
Incline DB flys
Cable flys

I change reps weekly so can't really tell you what to do there....but...Monday I go heavy, then my chest day I go higher reps with drop sets, negatives involved in everything.