Cheat meals /cheat days

Daff

Daff

Awards
  • Established
im just wandering what people thoughts are on cheat meals/days and how people if people belive in cheat days, cheat days once a week, once a month, small one everyday or just a balanced diet and cheat meals are just an excuess to binge

cheers daff

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like 6 days of on point diet only carbs around workout and upon waking, and one free day to do whatever I want. That has been working for me pretty well. Steadily dropping weight slowly, and slowly dropping BF couple tenths of a percent a week. Very sustainable plan. Now if I had some impending date that I needed to get down to a certain BF for I probably need to get rid of FREE day. But since I don’t have a competition it really works well for me. BTW, I’m in the 14s in BF
This is what I would consider a maintenance or slow cut approach. My goal would be able to get down to about 10, and be able to free eat as often as I like while maintaining the 10-11 BF

Ase_james

Awards
I am not a serious bodybuilder, but I am serious about training and gains and loss
I stay around 12-15% body fat in the cold months. I shoot for 220's in winter and I'm 6'1". But when I cut for summer I still cheat. I'll have a beer on refeed day or eat fries. But I just take my macros and subtract the difference.
I can pretty much eat what I want as long as my day to day is on point or close to it.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can say that I have used my approach and got pretty good results. It literally seemed to not matter whether I had 3000 or 12000 calories. As long as it was kept just to that one day it was as if it never happened... By the time that day came the following week I was leaner than before.... And just as sane....

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im just wandering what people thoughts are on cheat meals/days and how people if people belive in cheat days, cheat days once a week, once a month, small one everyday or just a balanced diet and cheat meals are just an excuess to binge

cheers daff
In the offseason I let up on certain foods I dont eat pre-contest. A piece of pizza, some chocolate, a piece of pumpkin pie with whip cream. A beer some mexican chips.

As far as a cheat day Maybe for a couple days after a competition to get that out of my system, for dieting real hard and long. It just depends.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I make macro friendly versions of the food I enjoy and don’t feel the need for cheat days.
Cut up potato in the air frier - kills my salty crunchy urge
Oreo cheesecake - use the sugar free and follow a weight watchers recipe where a decent sized piece is only 200 cals

exrugger

Awards
For me (note I have hashimotos hypothyroidism) a cheat day is a disaster to my cutting efforts. If I eat 1-2 slices of pizza and some ice cream it takes me a week to get back to my original weight (day after pizza I'll be 3-4lbs heavier a week later ill be the same). So I really only use cheats for:
1. Special occasions or sanity (1× month or try to less)
2. If I'm trying to up my muscle/carb load or notice im starting to look flat.

Currently in week 11 of a 18-20 week cut and hovering around 13% but goal is to hit 9% (started around 17-18), 5'9" 199lbs.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For me (note I have hashimotos hypothyroidism) a cheat day is a disaster to my cutting efforts. If I eat 1-2 slices of pizza and some ice cream it takes me a week to get back to my original weight (day after pizza I'll be 3-4lbs heavier a week later ill be the same). So I really only use cheats for:
1. Special occasions or sanity (1× month or try to less)
2. If I'm trying to up my muscle/carb load or notice im starting to look flat.

Currently in week 11 of a 18-20 week cut and hovering around 13% but goal is to hit 9% (started around 17-18), 5'9" 199lbs.
...but you are on Synthroid or Cytomel right?

exrugger

Awards
Actually I'm not on synthroid yet, my doc said im borderline (most likely due to my clean diet) but I do take New Zealand beef thyroid and it seems to help. I was told by my doc that once your on synthroid that's end game bc your body will stop fighting to produce more T hormones and your then on it the rest of your life. I'm not big into meds so thought I'd try to minimize via natural routes.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually I'm not on synthroid yet, my doc said im borderline (most likely due to my clean diet) but I do take New Zealand beef thyroid and it seems to help. I was told by my doc that once your on synthroid that's end game bc your body will stop fighting to produce more T hormones and your then on it the rest of your life. I'm not big into meds so thought I'd try to minimize via natural routes.
My suggestion to you is that if your body isn’t producing enough T4 now, it’s not going to get any better. With age it’s gonna keep going down hill... Why worry about endogenous production of hormones, If that production sucks? This is hormone replacement, it’s not some drug that your body doesn’t recognize. Your body will sense that you finally have enough T4 in your body and your functions will all improve. I am speaking from personal experience here. Find a doctor that will treat your condition, so you can live a full vigorous lifestyle.

exrugger

Awards
My doctor did offer to treat it with synthroid but I told them if I can naturally get in balance id prefer that (they felt I could as well since im borderline). Blood test to recheck is in about 4 weeks I'll let you know what my numbers look like with the supplementation/ diet. If improved and within normal ranges I'll keep on this route, if not I'll get the synthroid. I will say so far I have noticed more energy, no more need to nap, and more hunger. All good signs but could be placebo, blood tests will tell.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My doctor did offer to treat it with synthroid but I told them if I can naturally get in balance id prefer that (they felt I could as well since im borderline). Blood test to recheck is in about 4 weeks I'll let you know what my numbers look like with the supplementation/ diet. If improved and within normal ranges I'll keep on this route, if not I'll get the synthroid. I will say so far I have noticed more energy, no more need to nap, and more hunger. All good signs but could be placebo, blood tests will tell.
Sounds good! And good luck! Optimization is KEY... Not just normal levels... The way that “normal” AKA “in range” levels are determined have to do with sampling’s of every labs test results. Which includes almost 100% of people who don’t give a crap about OPTIMAL. So going off in range automatically skews you below where you should be.... I’m interested to hear how you make out

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
You won't naturally get it into balance. You can try to mitigate the effects through exercise and diet but the deck is stacked against you with your condition and it will get tougher with age. Have you considered the radiation treatment? I know many people that have done this and its really helped them in the long run.