Cheaper vs expensive whey protein?

robert7107

Awards
Is there a difference in cheaper whey protein compared to expensive protein?

robert7107

Awards
Well if both proteins are exactly the same in what they offer but one is $50 and other is $20... Isn't it a name thing... U paying for $$$ because its cell tech, optimum nutrition....

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well if both proteins are exactly the same in what they offer but one is $50 and other is $20... Isn't it a name thing... U paying for $$$ because its cell tech, optimum nutrition....
You most definitely pay extra for name brands. Personally I buy whatever protein I can find cheapest (in NZ most is produced by Fonterra and what you see is what you get), but overall whey protein is whey protein. The difference lies in concentrate vs isolate etc.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just stay away from any powder that counts Taurine, Glycine or Creatine towards the total protein count.

mrsims

mrsims

Awards
Heres my take on protein powders: Don't stress it too much because in the end protein powders are not whats putting inches on your arms if more muscle is what your looking for. Try to get most of it from your real food so you only have to take one or two scoops max per day. Go about it this route and save a lot of money on any protein powders. So now onto what protein powder: Where I live the local costco sells 6 pound bags of ON gold standard whey for $60. To me thats pretty cheap and gold standard whey is good stuff, but I have ordered bulk unflavored whey isolate and concentrate and did not notice a difference in results. My one word of advice is though is in agreement with Ant: Watch out for amino acid spiking in some powders because your not getting the amount of protein that the label claims. I try to stay away from protein powders that has BCAAs, glutamine or stuff like that premixed in them for this reason.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Some companies will underdose the protein so def avoid them. But normally you wouldn't depend on protein shakes as your main source of protein so in the end it won't make a huge diff whether you take it or not.

Personally I like eating food. Protein powders help make awesome shakes though thats why I but 'em!

ToughMech

Awards
I do agree that real foods are the best source but its not always doable. Then you know at least what you are getting because supplement labels are not accurate many times. I do protein powder once a day for convenience, but I found I did better when I ate eggs pre and post workout as compared to using powders. It upsets me that many proteins contain heavy metals. I did find one that was known for not having any (Solgar) but it taste like crap on its own. Its only good for cooking/shakes. Its also not expensive or a brand that is heavily advertised.

robert7107

Awards
Post work out that's all I use it for.... With some flavourless creatine

jgvg

Awards
You'll also find certain companies don't correctly filter their products, resulting in left over heavy-metals in the end-product (arsonic, mercury, to name a few). Do a quick google search and you should find some lists (muscle milk is notorious for this) - just cross those off and then go for the cheapest from there.