Changing up the workout (five days straight)

VtaperXO

Awards
Hey guys! I’ve been doing an UPPER/LOWER-PPL training five days straight. I tried to only do 2-3 series of chest on upper days to avoid fatigue on Wednesday (push days) It was working good but I just feel bored right now! I’ve been doing this for more than one year The thing is I can’t go to the gym on Saturdays cause they don’t open on weekends. Also I gotta say that I’d like a split focused more on shoulders (lagged muscle) and maybe having and arm day, I was thinking about Arnold split but i can’t go 6 days. So those are the options I think I have:

*PPL fives days like this: P-P-L-P-P, next week L-P-P-L-P, then P-L-P-P-L and so on.
*PHAT Workout.
*A bro split.
*Arnold split maybe mixing Arnold split with a few workouts but I don’t know how to distribute them.
  • Any idea that you could give me? I know the split doesn’t matter as long as you’re progressing it just I’m bored of the same

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like you might be overthinking it. If it’s boredom, then just switch it. Doesn’t matter that much, just try something new. Same for the shoulder thing. If you want more focus there, just focus on it more. You don’t need any complex programming algorithm to add in more shoulder work.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey guys! I’ve been doing an UPPER/LOWER-PPL training five days straight. I tried to only do 2-3 series of chest on upper days to avoid fatigue on Wednesday (push days) It was working good but I just feel bored right now! I’ve been doing this for more than one year The thing is I can’t go to the gym on Saturdays cause they don’t open on weekends. Also I gotta say that I’d like a split focused more on shoulders (lagged muscle) and maybe having and arm day, I was thinking about Arnold split but i can’t go 6 days. So those are the options I think I have:

*PPL fives days like this: P-P-L-P-P, next week L-P-P-L-P, then P-L-P-P-L and so on.
*PHAT Workout.
*A bro split.
*Arnold split maybe mixing Arnold split with a few workouts but I don’t know how to distribute them.
  • Any idea that you could give me? I know the split doesn’t matter as long as you’re progressing it just I’m bored of the same
Go with the pplpp
Lpplp
Plppl
And so on.

Also you could structure it
Ppl heavy ppl light so your getting heavy power type days and higher rep bodybuilding style days

I always gravitate twords ppl variations

VtaperXO

Awards
Sounds like you might be overthinking it. If it’s boredom, then just switch it. Doesn’t matter that much, just try something new. Same for the shoulder thing. If you want more focus there, just focus on it more. You don’t need any complex programming algorithm to add in more shoulder work.
You're right, maybe it's because I want a high frequency workout but for five days there's not a lot of options.
Thanks bro

VtaperXO

Awards
Go with the pplpp
Lpplp
Plppl
And so on.

Also you could structure it
Ppl heavy ppl light so your getting heavy power type days and higher rep bodybuilding style days

I always gravitate twords ppl variations
Got it smont.
How could I focused more shoulder work with this distribution?
Having a push a (chest focus) and push b(shoulder focus) could be a good idea?
Thanks bro

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Got it smont.
How could I focused more shoulder work with this distribution?
Having a push a (chest focus) and push b(shoulder focus) could be a good idea?
Thanks bro
You could do that for sure, also remember, incline presses give the shoulder work too, even flat presses work the front delt, so if your chest work finished with some kind of high incline press you already gave the front and middle delts some work, so you could follow that with 2 side delt and a rear delt exercise and there getting a lot of work. I do like the shoulder focused day too.

There's soo many ways to skin the cat. When I was trying to bring up shoulders I was training then 3 times a week. One day I'd do rotator cuff exercises, Smith shoulder press, side laterals, and behind the neck press.

The next time I'd do more traditional push with chest followed by shoulders and then I'd have a day where I did heavy flat bench and then my shoulder workout. I think that regardless of how you set it up just make sure you give it at least 6 weeks before you try to switch it up. I found myself changing my routine a little too much to try all the variations

VtaperXO

Awards
You could do that for sure, also remember, incline presses give the shoulder work too, even flat presses work the front delt, so if your chest work finished with some kind of high incline press you already gave the front and middle delts some work, so you could follow that with 2 side delt and a rear delt exercise and there getting a lot of work. I do like the shoulder focused day too.

There's soo many ways to skin the cat. When I was trying to bring up shoulders I was training then 3 times a week. One day I'd do rotator cuff exercises, Smith shoulder press, side laterals, and behind the neck press.

The next time I'd do more traditional push with chest followed by shoulders and then I'd have a day where I did heavy flat bench and then my shoulder workout. I think that regardless of how you set it up just make sure you give it at least 6 weeks before you try to switch it up. I found myself changing my routine a little too much to try all the variations
Exactly, so in my case could be something like that, push a doing traditional presses and then finish with some side delt and rear delt ( or even set it up for pull day as usual), push b would be overhead press, 2 side delts and maybe some flyes for chest. I think would be enough.
Thanks bro 💪

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You're right, maybe it's because I want a high frequency workout but for five days there's not a lot of options.
Thanks bro
Another option that was popular around the old M&M forum that I enjoyed was Push including quads and calves, Pull with hip/hams, repeat, so hitting everything every 2 days during the workout week.

Localaxis

Localaxis

Awards
You can modify the routine to give extra emphasis to your lagging shoulders.
PHAT split:
  • Day 1: Upper Body Power (focus on shoulders)
  • Day 2: Lower Body Power
  • Day 3: Rest
  • Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
  • Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy
  • Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy
  • Day 7: Rest
Also:
Supersets and Giant Sets,
Drop Sets and Rest-Pause Sets,
Functional Training and HIIT,
Periodization (where you vary the intensity and volume over specific time periods),

Have you tried the CrossFit class, I'm dead after them. Thats something new for sure!

VtaperXO

Awards
Another option that was popular around the old M&M forum that I enjoyed was Push including quads and calves, Pull with hip/hams, repeat, so hitting everything every 2 days during the workout week.
I haven't heard of it!
Thanks for the info bro

VtaperXO

Awards
You can modify the routine to give extra emphasis to your lagging shoulders.
PHAT split:
  • Day 1: Upper Body Power (focus on shoulders)
  • Day 2: Lower Body Power
  • Day 3: Rest
  • Day 4: Back and Shoulders Hypertrophy
  • Day 5: Lower Body Hypertrophy
  • Day 6: Chest and Arms Hypertrophy
  • Day 7: Rest
Also:
Supersets and Giant Sets,
Drop Sets and Rest-Pause Sets,
Functional Training and HIIT,
Periodization (where you vary the intensity and volume over specific time periods),

Have you tried the CrossFit class, I'm dead after them. Thats something new for sure!
Seems like a good distribution, I can do do it but with no rest in between.

VtaperXO

Awards
At the end of the day, the most important factors in your training are that you enjoy it enough to stick to the plan and progressively get better at it.
Exactly, at the end I'm just looking for more focus on shoulders and arms, with a classic PPL is kinda difficult but as you told me above having a push b day and so on can definitely work, also that phat distribution can be good.Its more about finding something enjoyable and specific for your goals/lagged muscles.
Thx so much guys!