Casein

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Been really busy lately so I've been consuming a few scoops of casein each night before bed recently to help me hit my macros but I've found that it leaves me sedated and numbed all day. I theorise that this is down to either the casomorphins in the casein and/or the excessive buildup of calcium (a few times the RDA) and glutamate overnight. Additionally, its possible I'm somewhat allergic to dairy.

Is there any way of remedying these effects?

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
Some people just don't get on as well with different casein man. Layman speak I know. I too felt similar after trying it out on a night so I now just have my protein with milk and peanut butter before bed as opposed to my usual water in a shake. Milk is mainly casein so will slow down absorption to a degree.

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
Where I've put "different casein" I am just being stupid. I meant some people don't get in with casein. I don't know the reason why I just moved on from it.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Everyone is effected differently. I myself have never had any feelings like you have decribed. In fact I notice zero diefferent between types of whey.

Dz23

Dz23

Awards
Everyone is effected differently. I myself have never had any feelings like you have decribed. In fact I notice zero diefferent between types of whey.
Everyone's different. casein point. Thank you good night

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
cobri66

cobri66

Awards
Isn't cottage cheese a cheap alternative to casein?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Isn't cottage cheese a cheap alternative to casein?
Yes, but if the OP is having problems with casein powder, he will probably have issues with that as well.

is there any reason you are drinking casein shakes pre bed, OP? There is not need to. As long as you are hitting your protein requirements, you do not need protein before bed. If you do choose to eat pre bed, any protein source will suffice. Your body will not go catabolic during the time you sleep.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Currently doing IF, fasting until working out each day. The constraints of my work and education mean that i usually start my workout at 19:00, finishing an hour and a half later.
After that, if I try to be asleep by 00:00 i do struggling to consume adequate protein otherwise

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been opting for casein as it's slow digestion time means i can give my body 7 hours for absorbing up to 160gs protein which should allow for better utilisation

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Doing IF but also being concerned about keeping food in your stomach for a prolonged period (into your fasting time) seems backwards.

Plus casein isn't agreeing with you, I say to drop it. Use a blend or a whey in its place.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Currently doing IF, fasting until working out each day. The constraints of my work and education mean that i usually start my workout at 19:00, finishing an hour and a half later.
After that, if I try to be asleep by 00:00 i do struggling to consume adequate protein otherwise
I've been opting for casein as it's slow digestion time means i can give my body 7 hours for absorbing up to 160gs protein which should allow for better utilisation
Again, you do not need casein before bed. You do not even need to eat before bed.

No offense, if you're concerned about keeping protein synthesis high, IF is not the right type of diet to follow. It is oxymoronic. Why do you struggle with protein intake? Is your eating window not long enough?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I say cut it out. I ve been taking powder mixed with cottage cheese. In addition do cottage cheese mixed with whey protein and never had this issue. Been doing this a long time