Carnivore cult: ketogenic diet, and 5,3,1 log

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone been doing the keto diet for about a month now and I'm really loving it, I have noticed there has been a lot of controversy wether or not a keto diet is effective for lifters so I decided to do a log on my successes and mistakes.

I my current lifts are

Bench 225
Squat 315
Deadlift 365

Current weight 220
Goal weight 180-190

I'm not the strongest person I'm currently coming off of a bad year hurt my shoulder really bad last fall so couldn't train for about 6 months decided to lose some weight went from about 280 down to now 220-225 depending on the day so my lifts have dropped considerably.

Fitness activities include.

Weight lifting
Biking
Yoga
Running

Want to get into some form of martial art.

I love fitness and challenging my body and mind it has been an important facet of my life since I was about 16 I'm 28 now. So enough about me lets get this started!

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Training and diet have been pretty good these past few weeks. My cheat day is today literally almost crashed yesterday. Made the big mistake of not eating all day and getting hungry. The wife and I went out last night to buy her a new bike and on the way home we decided to get lazy and go to Denny's for dinner first time I've been there in years. All those pictures of bread and potatoes almost got me but I stayed strong. Ended up crushing 13oz steak, 8 eggs, two ham slices, and double order broccoli.

Today's my cheat day though and we're going to a carnival!!! I'm gonna throw down on crabs today ablest a few corn dogs and a elephant ear or two. I'll try and remember to take picks of all my shame lol!

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed brother! What assistance work will you be doing with 531?

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
This sounds good, have been interested in keto diet + strength training for a while now. In to follow your progress!

What prompted you to do the ketogenic diet?

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Was already dieting but hit a sticking point and was watching some of mark bells YouTube and saw how much success he had doing it.

For assistance work I do a modified version of periodization bible: Dave Tate, I will post my routines up tomorrow.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1437530493.051737.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1437530517.433731.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1437530532.055072.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1437530547.505405.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1437530559.408685.jpg
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1437530572.193715.jpg

This was the damage for today at the fair, found out Siratcha on a corndog tastes amazing!

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Feel like crap today after eating all those carbs. Never really realized how sluggish I get after eating a lot of carbs, turned into a zombie yesterday after all that and didn't really want to do anything.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1437661593.116763.jpg

Omelette are saving my mind when it comes to breakfast, to me the hardest thing about the keto diet is texture! Everything you can eat is mostly mushy, soft, or liquid. So getting a nice layered flavor meal helps me out a lot. My cheat meal this week really hurt me lol! Monday I was weighing in around 223 on Wednesday morning after my cheat day I shot up to 231 today I'm down to 230 so gonna be another day or two before I she'd all that water weight again probably. This next week I'm gonna keep my carb night/day a little more under control. In all honesty all I really had a craving for last week was a cantaloupe. Just one whole nice cold cantaloupe so I think that's what I'm going to throw down on this Sunday. This past week was just fluke I don't normally eat like that on my cheat days but it's the fair which only comes once a year.

Today I'm doing squats, deadlifts were a little sticky this week I'm on 5,5,5, this week normally I can hit around 8 reps on my max 5 this week I only hit 5, but hey that's the goal so be happy. I'm hoping to be back to last years squaring weight by January/February (425ish) if I can do that at my current weight but hopefully lower I will be ecstatic! Bench has been really slow going because of my shoulder, really trying to work on bringing up my tries to take over for my shoulder. Tries have always been a weak point for me not really because there week but because I alway neglected them. I was alway way more concerned about "beach muscles" when I was a kid. Reading about 5,3,1 and cube method have really taught me to pay attention to your week points and focus on them, so right now I'm doing tris with a little more volume then standard program, same with Lats I'm doing Lats three days a week.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
Today's routine

Squats
1x8x185
3x5x200
1x5x230
1x7x260

Deadlift
3x12x230

Narrow stance sled squat
3x12,12,12x500

Seated calf raises
3x20,20,20x60

Cable rope crunch
2x15,15x140

Hanging knee ups
2x10,10

Ab wheel
2x8,8

Decline twisting crunch
2x8,6

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure mct oil is more effective then caffeine for me. 4 tbsp get me wired.

EpicThighGrl2

EpicThighGrl2

Awards
That omelette looks delicious!

Too many carbs in one meal always make me really sluggish, too. High-carb meals for lunch at work basically kill my productivity for the rest of the day :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 12
SkRaw85 Injury / Rehab 141
AlexPowell Workout Logs 317
Supplements 16
kukuies420 Supplements 23