Cardio or Resistance for fastest endurance?

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
Need advice.

Background: I'm 61 and WAY out of shape. I used to lots of resistance AND cardio 20+ years ago -- and every so often about 10 years ago. Got pretty strong. But now, I literally get winded walking down the block. LEVEL. A flight of stairs feels like a marathon (not quite). Also, I'll almost always pull a leg muscle (calf or ham) any time I do fast movements (like sprinting, jumping to return a volleyball, or even lunging to catch a frisbee). So, leg based HIIT is out, for now.

My long term goal is to lose the damn weight. But, honestly, what I really want sooner than later is to stop huffing and puffing just for playing with my grandkids for 2 minutes.

I've been going back to the gym and doing full body resistance workouts but I started wondering if I'd have better progress by just doing long walks or other cardio. Based on my past experience, I'd assumed stressing my body with heavy weights would give me both cardio and muscle benefits and would build endurance faster. But I began to have my doubts, so I thought I'd ask here.

I know most of you are in great shape and have been for years, so maybe you can't relate to the question. But, I'm hoping someone knows which approach will get me past the huffing and puffing quicker.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
for getting into shape i recommend starting at lower weight higher rep resistance training 3 times a week to start-gradually build up to higher weight but not in any rush-keep it at low weight high reps until you build up to higher resistance.

this is the most important thing i tell all my older people-walk as much as you can gradually increasing speed. once you are walking at a good clip start jogging until winded then walk, then jog...keep doing this for up to 2 weeks to a month until you can jog for several miles then walk...once you get up to 3 miles you will have lost considerable weight, i can virtually guarantee this and the more weight you lose the easier it gets and your resistance will have improved dramatically.

drink plenty of fluids-this is very important!!!

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Get active bro, whatever you can handle.

If something gets you breathing more than you would be at rest, then it's going to help your endurance. Log what you do and how long it takes you (date: walked 1.5 miles, time), so you can track your progress. Strive to make progress.

Getting "the weight off" probably means you have a lot of body fat that is making every task more intense than it would be without it. Diet will get you the most results there. Dial it in, clean it up, log it, track your progress, and ask for specific help where you need it.

Keep lifting, work hard in the gym. Don't injure yourself. Take rest days and get plenty of sleep each night, even if it means less TV.

If you haven't seen your doctor for a check up and bloods recently: do so, and do so regularly. Best to make sure that your fatigue isn't a symptom of something serious.

Remember: dedication > motivation. Doesn't matter how you feel, every day you do the work, eat clean and you will make progress!

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
start jogging
Hey, BigT, great to see you again!

I'm 260 pounds! Probably 35%, maybe 40%, FB.

I worry what jogging will do to my knees.

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hey, BigT, great to see you again!

I'm 260 pounds! Probably 35%, maybe 40%, FB.

I worry what jogging will do to my knees.
i didn't say to start jogging right off...reread what i posted. start off slow and easy--work your way into it.

great to see you again too!!!

Kaprice

Kaprice

Awards
  • Established
I read what you said, carefully. :)

In the past when I dedicated myself to fast walking, I got to a pretty fast pace but was still around 240, which still is heavy enough to worry about my knees. No?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
What do you consider "high rep"? 15? 30? 100?
15-20, work way up to 20-25 before increasing weight.

that is right rep rate for increasing your endurance.....

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I read what you said, carefully. :)

In the past when I dedicated myself to fast walking, I got to a pretty fast pace but was still around 240, which still is heavy enough to worry about my knees. No?
have you considered wraps?

i know women and men older and heavier than you who have started on walking/jogging programs.....ease into it-if you incorporate a healthy diet the weight should come off pretty quickly.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I’d hold off jogging. BigT’s advice sounds pretty good. When you’re heavy or getting older especially, but even in general, it’s good to stick with lower impact movements to not hurt yourself. It sounds to me that weight training would be excellent to build up some strength before trying to do any intense cardio if you have that much trouble running and jumping. But like others have said, diet and activity are probably another big focus to try and get weight down. Every movement will get easier as you strip off some body fat.