Carb Timing on "off" days (Leangains)

E

E_Scapegoat

Awards
The "anabolic" window is open for 24 hours after the workout, and drops from there. So a carb refeed should take place in that 24 hour timespan from that perspective, whether a rest day takes place in that time or not?

On the other hand, Carb backloading claims that all carbs, especially on off days, should be confined to the evening.

So which is better for off days (only the day AFTER a hard workout)?
1: Low carb all day:
I have tried to go low carb all day on all my rest days, but that totally burns me out.

2: Moderate Carbs with the first meal of the off day, and Low carb until next workout
Takes advantage of anabolic window

3: Moderate Carbs with the last meal of the off day, with low carbs earlier in the day.
Taking advantage of Carb Backloading method (but since I workout early the next morning, it seems like the workout wouldn't take advantage of being "fasted". (Although if this makes more sense, I could just go hog-wild on carbs the day before after the workout))

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The "anabolic" window is open for 24 hours after the workout, and drops from there. So a carb refeed should take place in that 24 hour timespan from that perspective, whether a rest day takes place in that time or not?

A refeed can be utilized anyday during the week, just fit it in regardless if a training or off-day. Ken "Skip" Hill uses his "Skiploads" or refeeds mostly on offdays, they will play their part and raise t3, leptin, and hormone levels in the end

On the other hand, Carb backloading claims that all carbs, especially on off days, should be confined to the evening.

As does the Biortyhm Diet by Borge, which is what most people do , different ways to skin the cat

http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.com/vforums/content.php?108-The-Biorhythm-Diet

So which is better for off days (only the day AFTER a hard workout)?
1: Low carb all day:
I have tried to go low carb all day on all my rest days, but that totally burns me out.

Not worth it, keep your calories nearly the same and drop carbs a touch on off days if you want, swinging macros will delay recovery and also make you feel horrible come the end of a cut and your kcals are so low, would be better off keeping your calories pro/fat consistent and manipulating carbs by a touch ( i drop 25g on off days even on an IF Lifestyle no difference in results if the kcals are the same over the 24 hour period or 7 day week

2: Moderate Carbs with the first meal of the off day, and Low carb until next workout
Takes advantage of anabolic window

3: Moderate Carbs with the last meal of the off day, with low carbs earlier in the day.
Taking advantage of Carb Backloading method (but since I workout early the next morning, it seems like the workout wouldn't take advantage of being "fasted". (Although if this makes more sense, I could just go hog-wild on carbs the day before after the workout))

Neither will matter, total calories matters if your in a deficit you will lose weight not what your macro break downs are.

E

E_Scapegoat

Awards
This is for a lean bulk/recomp. It sounds like i should keep carbs in on off days, but keep them low gi until evening. Also that I shouldn't go hog-wild on carbs after training, but let it spike up. Should the fat% to carbs drop with the day too, or should i keep fat levels steady and keep most of the carbs AND total calories at night.

Nit-picking, I know.

Thank God for bulk bcaa powder for early workouts on Intermittent Fasting!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This is for a lean bulk/recomp. It sounds like i should keep carbs in on off days, but keep them low gi until evening. Also that I shouldn't go hog-wild on carbs after training, but let it spike up. Should the fat% to carbs drop with the day too, or should i keep fat levels steady and keep most of the carbs AND total calories at night.

Nit-picking, I know.

Thank God for bulk bcaa powder for early workouts on Intermittent Fasting!
Keep pro/fat the same.
GI does not matter man...

http://alanaragon.com/glycemic-index
http://www.drivelinebaseball.com/2010/10/04/nutrition-prepost-workout-guidelines-alan-aragon/
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/