CAN'T WIN!!!

joemoney

Awards
So, I feel like I can't win in the diet/nutrition game.... I used to be heavy back when I was younger/ early 20's, mid to later 20's I did paleo and dropped weight. Now if I drop carbs/cals I get skinnier but the stomach remains, if I up carbs/cals I put on weight but just in the stomach and face! What the **** do I do lol???

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So, I feel like I can't win in the diet/nutrition game.... I used to be heavy back when I was younger/ early 20's, mid to later 20's I did paleo and dropped weight. Now if I drop carbs/cals I get skinnier but the stomach remains, if I up carbs/cals I put on weight but just in the stomach and face! What the **** do I do lol???
Pics and what does your diet and exercise regiment look like? Are you in a deficit?

joemoney

Awards
I'll get some pics ASAP, as far as deficit/surplus; couldn't say at the moment. I was just speaking in general, wondering if a little thing here or there could be the magic key to unlocking this mystery lol

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'll get some pics ASAP, as far as deficit/surplus; couldn't say at the moment. I was just speaking in general, wondering if a little thing here or there could be the magic key to unlocking this mystery lol
Well carbs could be holding water weight. Calories are key. If your in a deficit you will drop weight. I would start tracking calories, and I would watch how many carbs your taking in. Start tracking and try a 50% protein, 30% healthy fat, 20% carb diet

joemoney

Awards
And that's always been a thing, I never intake soo many carbs. Literally high carb for me would be 1 packet of oatmeal in the AM, maybe a cup, cup and a half of jasmine rice for lunch. Probably a cup of jasmine rice post workout with my meal, but other than that no carbs or very minimal (protein shake).

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Weird. Again. I would start tracking macro's. You might be taking in more than you thought

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It could possibly be a hormone issue. Hormones can affect where someone tends to store their body fat. I wouldn’t jump to that, but if you’ve never had a hormone panel done, you might want to check with your doctor about that.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree with what was said above about tracking calories. Be honest with your tracking too, especially with fats. It's easy to overlook a few tbsp's of peanut butter or an extra serving of almonds if you aren't paying close attention, and those adjustments can set you 300-400calories over your goal.

Also, how long are you cutting carbs for? If you can successfully cut carbs and lose weight, I would recommend lengthening your cut to allow your body to tap into the stubborn fat areas. Most people store fat similarly, and stomach fat is the last to go. I would commit to a 2-3 month cu and tracking calories daily. With a longer dieting period you should begin to see the stomach fat go away

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well carbs could be holding water weight. Calories are key. If your in a deficit you will drop weight. I would start tracking calories, and I would watch how many carbs your taking in. Start tracking and try a 50% protein, 30% healthy fat, 20% carb diet
Yep ^^^^ exactly what I would have said. Tracking is key and personally (as an ex fatty) I run a similar split to this on a cut.

Imo the key is maintaining a small deficit for a longer spell. Typically people cut too hard and fast meaning they are losing as much muscle as fat - yeah sure the scales go down but the aesthetic doesn’t improve.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Great advice in here, and I agree 100%. What do your daily workout regimen look like?

joemoney

Awards
Yep ^^^^ exactly what I would have said. Tracking is key and personally (as an ex fatty) I run a similar split to this on a cut.

Imo the key is maintaining a small deficit for a longer spell. Typically people cut too hard and fast meaning they are losing as much muscle as fat - yeah sure the scales go down but the aesthetic doesn’t improve.
Which is what I feel happened to me, during my paleo phase yeah I dropped weight but I also feel like some decent muscle went with it.

joemoney

Awards
Great advice in here, and I agree 100%. What do your daily workout regimen look like?
Mondays LEGS Tuesday ARMS Wednesday OFF Thursday CHEST Friday Shoulders Saturday BACK.... This is my routine now, I switch it every so often and exercises are switched up some every week.. Typically 4,5,6 exercises depending on the body part with some supersets here n there. Cardio has been 30 min 4 times a week.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Mondays LEGS Tuesday ARMS Wednesday OFF Thursday CHEST Friday Shoulders Saturday BACK.... This is my routine now, I switch it every so often and exercises are switched up some every week.. Typically 4,5,6 exercises depending on the body part with some supersets here n there. Cardio has been 30 min 4 times a week.
Looks like a good set, but again how is your diet now?

joemoney

Awards
Looks like a good set, but again how is your diet now?
So at the moment, like I said I'm not tracking honestly. I did up calories/carbs as I felt I was getting too thin (not the belly, face/neck/arms/etc). For bfast, I'll usually have 1 packet of low sugar oatmeal (publix brand) with a cup of egg whites. Lunch, usually either ground turkey or chicken breast (8 oz)(seasoned/flavored) with about a cup of jasmine rice maybe a cup and a half. Post workout, similar meal (8 oz) chicken/turkey breast/some other protein with a cup of rice. Prior to bed, protein shake (2 scoops of ON WHEY at the moment) with half a cup of oatmeal and a spoon of peanut butter. That's what I'm messing with at the current time...

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Try tracking your calories. If your to high your gonna gain. If deficit your gonna lose

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Which is what I feel happened to me, during my paleo phase yeah I dropped weight but I also feel like some decent muscle went with it.
The reality is that you will lose muscle on a cut. If you asked most people how they felt during a cut, they would all most likely say that they feel skinny and small. But that comes with the result of losing body fat. You can't have it all.

I would agree with tracking calories. If your current body fat is bothering you, make an effort to change it. Set yourself up to be in a small calorie deficit and STICK WITH IT. You won't feel strong or make much progress with weight training, and that's okay. Cutting is temporary, but if you can shed some of the unwanted fat you'll be able to add more muscle in the future

joemoney

Awards
joemoney,have you tried HIIT cardio?
Not really BEAST73, I was doing good when doing the stepmill. I cut back on it and started doing the treadmill but I sweat way more on the stairs. I figure stairs is my go to as I sweat like a beast (for me at least).

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you really want to get things together, track calories. Also, if you do up carbs, expect to look a little fluffier. Not because you are gaining fat, but it is probably water and/or glycogen. You may not like the way a little extra water makes you look, but it will help performance.

Lastly, remember, we all hold fat in different areas. You may just hold a little more fat in your ab area and that could be natural for your body type. If you are dieting naturally, it may be difficult to eliminate fat in every little area.

One more thing that may help is try to diet for the least amount of time. If one diets for too long, especially for naturals, the person could start dipping into their lean muscle. You can try to avoid this by utilizing refeeds and cheats. When transitioning to a bulk, slowly increase calories and do not go to far over maintenance.