Can you get the fish oil smell out of clothes?

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
I usually use a container for my vitamins, but the other day I just put it in my pocket. It was a mistake now my favorite shorts smell like freakin anchovies. Anyone know how to get the smell out? I have washed the shorts at least five times already and the smell is still there.

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
A time-tested way to get horrible things out of clothes is to soak overnight in a sink of water with about 1/2 ounce of Pine Sol cleaner thrown in. Agitate it occasionally, then wash the item by itself the next day in the washing machine.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
its an oil...you need something to break it down. Soak in Dawn dish-soap.

donnareed

Awards
Depends on what the fabric is. I'm assuming these are workout shorts or athletic shorts of some kind. Dawn Plus Odor Eraser is dish detergent designed to remove odors from plastic (tupperware etc.) and I've had good luck with it on nylon blends, Gortex, some other synthetics - just soak the shorts in a lot of it for a couple of hours. If the shorts are mostly natural fiber (cotton blend or similar), then use tide with febreeze and add some oxyclean to the wash. If they are one of the nylon-based blends (especially the moisture-wicking ones) then you're probably S.O.L.. Even if the odor seems to be gone after you wash them, as soon as they get warm you'll smell it again. If the label mentions nylon, dri-fit or vapor-wick, I'd chuck them. Good luck.