Can you forget how to wrestle?

N

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
I am healing up my arm, I won’t wrestle for another month I wrestled once in March! Am I gonna have to relearn how to wrestle? Is all my hard work gone to waste? I have been getting stronger in the weight since I can’t wrestle!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How long have you been wrestling for? Like anything, you'll need to get back into the routine of it, but you're not going to forget your training.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wouldn’t think you’d forget how to wrestle. It’s been 20 years since I was in TKD and I forgot most of the fancy ****... but the basic technique and reactions are all still there I found out recently.

Nobody expects to get kicked in the face.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The brain never really forget something. You’ll go back, you’ll be rusty for a few days and it’ll all be back quickly enough

N

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
You'll be fine. Just make sure you don't rush it and give yourself plenty of time to fully heal.
Will i still be able to beat the kids I beat last time they have been training while I have been lifting?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Habits learned very young stay around for a lifetime.

N

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
That's the point of competition: seeing if you can. I can't see the future for you.
Habits learned very young stay around for a lifetime.
did Muay Thai for a year when I was like 14 and stopped for wrestling flash forward years later and my teammate is amauture fighter and I destroyed him in sparring! Great to know my skills are still there

Last edited:
F

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I am healing up my arm, I won’t wrestle for another month I wrestled once in March! Am I gonna have to relearn how to wrestle? Is all my hard work gone to waste? I have been getting stronger in the weight since I can’t wrestle!
OP, sorry about your injury. Im in a similar boat right now with a recovering knee.

You cant learn to wrestle in a month, and you cant forget in a month either. The stuff that was truly drilled into me i still have on a very primal level. ANYONE who was EVER a wrestler worth their salt will have a sprawl reflex and at least one move in the bank, forever.

But you WILL get rusty. But that shakes off. When i got back to it, i was to loose on throws and needed to adjust. I would say, if you are worried about forgetting in a month, you havent brainwashed yourself with your moves well enough. Also, go through the motions in your mind, and to the extent you can in your body. Everything starts in your mind and it will take.your body anywhere it has the discipline to go. Live the lifestyle that turns you into what you want to be. In wrestling/fighting recovery is an unfortunate part of the lifestyle. Good luck!

Also, whats all yalls favorite moves? Mine were firemans and jap whizzer.

F

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
did Muay Thai for a year when I was like 14 and stopped for wrestling flash forward years later and my teammate is amauture fighter and I destroyed him in sparring! Great to know my skills are still there
Omg, i am exactly the opposite. Grew up wrestling and trying to learn muay thai and kickboxing now. Lol, still better at wrestling.

N

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
OP, sorry about your injury. Im in a similar boat right now with a recovering knee.

You cant learn to wrestle in a month, and you cant forget in a month either. The stuff that was truly drilled into me i still have on a very primal level. ANYONE who was EVER a wrestler worth their salt will have a sprawl reflex and at least one move in the bank, forever.

But you WILL get rusty. But that shakes off. When i got back to it, i was to loose on throws and needed to adjust. I would say, if you are worried about forgetting in a month, you havent brainwashed yourself with your moves well enough. Also, go through the motions in your mind, and to the extent you can in your body. Everything starts in your mind and it will take.your body anywhere it has the discipline to go. Live the lifestyle that turns you into what you want to be. In wrestling/fighting recovery is an unfortunate part of the lifestyle. Good luck!

Also, whats all yalls favorite moves? Mine were firemans and jap whizzer.
My favorite move was a blast double or high c lift!