Can someone explain the "Warrior Diet"??

jakesnake771

Awards
So my friend who isn't that overweight (maybe 20 pounds or so) has done various plans in the past to lose weight, including the ketosis.

So recently he is on this Warrior Diet fix where he eats 1 large meal at night a day. He says he has lost some weight and doesnt wake up hungry or get hungry throughout the day. I was wondering how this works or makes sense because from all that I know about nutrition (which I think is more than some) I can't for the life of me figure out how this would work.

jsheely

jsheely

Awards
  • Established
That really sounds like a terrible idea, especially if you're trying to gain or maintain muscle mass.

jakesnake771

Awards
not sure where he got the idea from, I can ask him and post a link, but yeah it seems like it either wouldn't do anything or have negative effects. His metabolism would be so low at that point that it would seem like he would put on something.

I don't know if he is concerned about his muscle so much as he is about dropping some weight. I'll ask him later and reply.

mjm007

Awards
Im reading up on the diet at the moment as a way of cutting. It seems to have a bit of merit to the actual formula. The idea is under-eating during the day only eating fruit and veg and little protein with very low carbs if any, and then at night eating a large meal or meals, usually after your workout when body is depleted.
By eating the fruits and veg during the day you are detoxing the body and increasing sensitivity so when you consume your evening meal your body will use the protein, fats and carbs more effectively.

So a little bit more reading up on it and I might have a go for a few weeks on it to see how effective the diet is.

RedneckDB

Awards
sounds interesting, do you have any links to some info about that?

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Google Ori Hofmekler, you will find all kinds of links about the Warrior Diet. The diet only has benefits if you believe that the benefits of giving your body a break from digesting foods (and possibly detoxing at the same time) is greater than the benefits of constant feedings to gain muscle. I feel better eating very lightly during the day, but that is definately an individual thing. I don't advocate the Warrior Diet but it does have some merits you might use in your overall arsenal from time to time.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
It's pretty simple actually.

You fast 14-16 hours (that includes sleeping) and the "feast". You eat until satisfied, wait 20 mins or so and if you are still hungry eat some more. If you just have to have a little something to take the edge off during the fasting phase, you eat a handleful of nuts or piece of fruit.

The purpose/theory is in evolution. Man used to wake up and go hunting and run around all day and return to the tribe at night and have a big feast.

His theory is that fast allows production of growth hormone for a longer period of time. When you feast you utilize insulin. When you feast you eat off instinct...the body knows what nutrients you need and will seek them out.

http://www.warriordiet.com/

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
"Ori Hofmekler is a very lean and fit former columnist for Penthouse magazine"

LOLZ!...I could never do this. I need to eat every 2 hours or I start wanting to murder the people around me and eat them.

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
"Ori Hofmekler is a very lean and fit former columnist for Penthouse magazine"

LOLZ!...I could never do this. I need to eat every 2 hours or I start wanting to murder the people around me and eat them.
This diet would be more popular if Ori would have gotten a fitness model to be his body double. He is fit and lean but he looks like he just escaped from a POW camp.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
This diet would be more popular if Ori would have gotten a fitness model to be his body double. He is fit and lean but he looks like he just escaped from a POW camp.
I think it's his face haha. I saw some pics of him flexing his abs, he is ripped. That face though....looks like a crackhead.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
He doesn't really seem to be doing the diet the same way..unless he figures protein shakes all day is considered fasting lol;
"Non-Workout Day Plan

Wake at 5:30 am

8:30 am

30g micellar casein, 4g fish oil, 1/2 cup blueberries

12:30 pm

30g micellar casein, 4g fish oil, 1 apple

3:30 pm

30g micellar casein, 4g fish oil, 1/2 cup strawberries

6:30 pm

Feast time – See here for an example of one of my feasts.

Workout Day Plan

Workout at 2:30 pm – start on empty stomach, drink 20g BCAAs through workout.

4:00 pm – Post-workout

60g Micellar Casein, 60g Waxy Maize Starch, 3-4 Strawberries

Feast time – See here for an example of one of my feasts."

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
This diet is interesting; I've heard a lot of people say they have lost a significant amount strength on it?

Personally, I would stick with something like the keto, caveman, or metabolic diet.

Burner

Awards
He doesn't really seem to be doing the diet the same way..unless he figures protein shakes all day is considered fasting lol;
"Non-Workout Day Plan

3:30 pm

30g micellar casein, 4g fish oil, 1/2 cup strawberries

Feast time – See here for an example of one of my feasts.

Workout Day Plan

Workout at 2:30 pm – start on empty stomach, drink 20g BCAAs through workout.

4:00 pm – Post-workout

60g Micellar Casein, 60g Waxy Maize Starch, 3-4 Strawberries

Feast time – See here for an example of one of my feasts."
Yeah, I should have pointed you all to the first day where he outlines his "modified" warrior diet.
http://www.xyque.com/freedom-with-the-warrior-diet/

He starts off only having berries and BCAA's during the day, then makes tweaks as he see's necessary.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I should have pointed you all to the first day where he outlines his "modified" warrior diet.
http://www.xyque.com/freedom-with-the-warrior-diet/

He starts off only having berries and BCAA's during the day, then makes tweaks as he see's necessary.
Yea that would explain why he gained muscle and lost fat to me though. Interesting concept. I would rather do it his way than the original. His description of eating berries makes me crave them haha.