Can I please get some input on this

audi4796

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
There’s more traffic here so I’m posting it here.

Am I doing too much?

Let’s take chest for example.
I do LINEAR SETS. That’s 3-4 sets of pushing until I can only get 1-3 more reps before racking. (Close to fsilure)

I do 3-4 sets of incline, flat and fly machine

This will be TWICE a week.

I just watched a John meadows video and he seems to pyramid his sets and finally hit a top set so with him training twice a week he does a total of 10 HARD sets for chest

if I can say my sets are hard being shy of close to failure, that Equates to 24 HARD sets a week

because I do not pyramid at all. I feel this could significantly effect my ability to recover and I’d grow better on pyramiding sets, every set for me goes this close to failure . I’m no where near John meadows size so why should I be doing this much.

please help seriously need opinions on this
I’m thinking this amount of effort might just be too much for the size I’m at. And it’s impacting recovery more than it’s helping me grow. At times I’ve felt more doms from doing less. -also this is how all my workouts are. No pyramiding at all. Always a few reps from failure that might be a bit generous, bench is usually 1-2 reps from failure

audi4796

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I think it’s really dumb to assume that I’m like going way to hard in the gym being on gear, but is it possible? Being that I am always 1-3 reps from failure on every exercise

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used to do 40 sets per workout when i was 16-17, not every workout but at least once per week. And i seemed to progress fine.

Now i fo 10-15 sets per workout lol and do nothing but big compounds with maybe 1-2 smaller exercises added (usually either upright rows, lateral raises, calf raises or very rarely some arm work, like every blue moon).

Could i have had progressed more had i gone with less sets? Probably.

But it also depends on whether you are trying to bulk and what is your current stack.

audi4796

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I used to do 40 sets per workout when i was 16-17, not every workout but at least once per week. And i seemed to progress fine.

Now i fo 10-15 sets per workout lol and do nothing but big compounds with maybe 1-2 smaller exercises added (usually either upright rows, lateral raises, calf raises or very rarely some arm work, like every blue moon).

Could i have had progressed more had i gone with less sets? Probably.

But it also depends on whether you are trying to bulk and what is your current stack.
Yeah I just don’t know if I’m doing too much I feel like I might be

test 500 deca 600 dmz 50 msten 30

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah I just don’t know if I’m doing too much I feel like I might be

test 500 deca 600 dmz 50 msten 30
That is a bunch of stuff, over 1.5g a week. If you are progressing i would say it is fine.

danielvp

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There’s more traffic here so I’m posting it here.

Am I doing too much?

Let’s take chest for example.
I do LINEAR SETS. That’s 3-4 sets of pushing until I can only get 1-3 more reps before racking. (Close to fsilure)

I do 3-4 sets of incline, flat and fly machine

This will be TWICE a week.

I just watched a John meadows video and he seems to pyramid his sets and finally hit a top set so with him training twice a week he does a total of 10 HARD sets for chest

if I can say my sets are hard being shy of close to failure, that Equates to 24 HARD sets a week

because I do not pyramid at all. I feel this could significantly effect my ability to recover and I’d grow better on pyramiding sets, every set for me goes this close to failure . I’m no where near John meadows size so why should I be doing this much.

please help seriously need opinions on this
I’m thinking this amount of effort might just be too much for the size I’m at. And it’s impacting recovery more than it’s helping me grow. At times I’ve felt more doms from doing less. -also this is how all my workouts are. No pyramiding at all. Always a few reps from failure that might be a bit generous, bench is usually 1-2 reps from failure
I'm a big fan of John Meadows and really like his pyramids. Especially on incline dumbell press, 5 sets of 8 increasing weight on each set until you can't get 8 reps.

Alchemist11

Alchemist11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why don't you try Seth's chest workout?
Something like this
Incline bench press on Smith machine (each set, you add weight)
4 x 12 plus 2 drop sets 12, 15 reps
Incline DB press
12/24, 12/24, 16/8 (Seth sets, you use one weight for 12 reps and proceed to do 24 reps with half of that)
Incline DB fly's with incline close grip push ups
4 x 10-12

Cest dips with machine fly's
4 x 10
i find it realy enjoyable and good for upper chest growth. If you are on cylce, it's perfect time for that kind of workout

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Numbers really dont mean sh1t. Everyone has different volume tolerances and recovery capacities. You have to look at context:

Session volume
Weekly volume
Recovery capacity (genetics, diet)

The most "optimal" training protocol sees you making the most gainz you possibly can over a period of time (duh), which will mean training with your maximum recoverable volume.

This volume is fluid, not static, and is ultimately unsustainable. Meaning, the more advanced you get, the more you will likely need to periodise volume in order to keep making gainz.

Optimising your volume requires some self-experimentation with different volumes and logging it. Also, different body parts will tend to have different effective volumes.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Let’s not forget diet. Can you even eat taking 30mg msten
One of the biggest reason i do and will avoid orals. If i cant eat how will i grow? And i somewhat already struggle in that department, as i steer away from fatty foods and animal fats it gets kinda hard to get 4k + kcals, for a light eater like me.

trumac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For me 20mg for 4 weeks is plenty. Some people can take more. I’m guessing by the fourth week with the dmz and the msten you won’t be feeling too amazing

audi4796

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
For me 20mg for 4 weeks is plenty. Some people can take more. I’m guessing by the fourth week with the dmz and the msten you won’t be feeling too amazing
Yeah I think it’s already starting gonna just power through

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah I think it’s already starting gonna just power through
I have a few of John meadows programs project colossus, Odin force, and evolutionary which is his new one. His programs are designed very well if you follow them you will grow and progress. Lots of super sets help as well. I’ve always found high volume works really well for growth along with slow controlled reps focusing on that contractions. Once you get that kind muscle connection that’s when you will really see progress.

audi4796

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I have a few of John meadows programs project colossus, Odin force, and evolutionary which is his new one. His programs are designed very well if you follow them you will grow and progress. Lots of super sets help as well. I’ve always found high volume works really well for growth along with slow controlled reps focusing on that contractions. Once you get that kind muscle connection that’s when you will really see progress.
I may get one of his programs

audi4796

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Let me know if you PayPal me or Venmo I’ll send one your way but I only have those 3. His programs are very detailed nutrition, rest, tempo etc.
I honestly probably won’t to be honest idk I’m broke from all the supplements atm