Can Anyone Explain Why Cues Like "F*ck Sh*t Up" Etc. Work Great?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

Just out of curiosity, can anyone give any data-backed explanations why cues like "F*ck Sh*t Up" etc. work in helping you to stop thinking so much and concentrate on giving your best effort?

I probably over-think more than anyone, and often get distracted in the gym. My other post, explaining cues, definitely helped well.

1. Here are the three reasons why I think the specific cue works well:

a. It is affirmative. It gets people to do something, instead of constantly thinking about doing something.

Affirmative cues such as "stand up" "stay square" etc. work much better than "do not do this", etc.

b. The idea that your actions will make a difference in the present moment is powerful, and gets people to attend to details. While you are probably not tearing up the ground underneath you or actively hurting someone, such a recognition of a relationship can make a difference.

In other parts of our life, if we feel that no matter what we do, it has no impact, it can be de-motivating. Yet, when we think that what we do makes a difference, it really does help. Some of my friends who pick fruit, plant trees, etc. as seasonal labor, and get paid based on output, see the relationship and definitely put their work in.

I remember some classes in biology and math class I took, which were quite challenging. I remember growing to love the sound of the pencil touching the paper and making sounds as I was taking notes, etc. I remember being some of my most focused time ever in the school career.

c. The act of saying something aggressive, such as the "f-word" and "s-word", in an aggressive way may make our brain momentarily get rid of inhibitions, and activate the "fight or flight" HPAA axis response. My neuroscience professor actually called such a popularized term the "4 F response": Fight, Flight, Fright and Sex.

At least in my own life, I do notice that even people who are gentle often respond well to aggressive words and tones in their partners, at least in the bedroom. I never understood why many women seem to like being aggressively spoken to like that.

Either way, it seems like this tough talk can definitely get people out of "thinking about everything mode" and into "concentrate on the present and give 100% mode".

2. Any opinions, data, etc.?

3. If "F*ck Sh*t Up" works, any other methods, etc. to get into it?