Unanswered Can Anyone Dispel These Fat Loss Myths? Maybe Can Do So With Research?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone,

I really did enjoy the book "Body for Life" as it put together many things about goal setting, resistance training, cardiovascular training, supplementation, etc. But, in Bill Philip's new age talk, I think he misused research studies that he could never cite.

Some of his work made statements that I believe true research refutes. Can anyone support or refute me?

1. "Cardio in a fasted state burns far more fat, including 300% more" than doing in a non-fasted state.

The research I read showed that fasted cardio does burn more fat than non-fasted cardio; however, the difference is probably in the 10-20% range, and that fasted cardio often has less intensity than non-fasted cardio, and that it only works if calories are

2. "Cardio burns off your muscle?"

I think too much cardiovascular training can burn off your muscle. But, I think about 20 minutes is good per session.

Bodyweight finishers and stair climbing does not seem to eat away muscle.

3. "Free days are necessary to help reset your metabolism."

Small refeeds every 72 hours seems the best way. The protein and carbohydrates can get converted into glucose, hence going into glycogen. The insulin release also is beneficial for normalizing leptin levels. I think the amount of food would be less, as in 100 - 200 grams total of insulin producing sources.

4. "If fasted cardio is best, drinking a protein shake or something like Gatorade during the workout is a terrible idea."

5. "If fasted cardio is best, then you need to wait one hour after you eat"

Eating does not slow down metabolism. In fact, after a hard weight training workout, or a weight training workout with cardio afterwards, eating as soon after is necessary for meal replenishment. The fat burning happens during the workout and throughout the day, with little regards to a fasted state or not.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Fasted walking will get rid of fat better than intense cardio. Also improves insulin sensitivity.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The only time fasted would make sense is if you use Yohimbine to help with stubborn fat besides that just do your cardio if you include some on your plan

Good Pubmed Study to prove that point:

These findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless of whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training.

The authors conclude that when moderate endurance exercise is done to lose body fat, fasting before exercise does not enhance lipid utilization; rather, physical activity after a light meal is advisable.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Fasted walking will get rid of fat better than intense cardio. Also improves insulin sensitivity.
I do if so everything I do is fasted but I don't se how walking would burn more then running. Harder you work more calories should be burned. I do construction/ demo mostly concrete as my main thing. On weekends lawn care on a lot of large commercial properties. Kept a phone in my pocket to track miles. Biggest lawn I go 13 miles pushing spreader with 50 lbs and lots of hills. Fat melts off. Winter time I do boxing and add yohimbe. Works way better for me anyway. Walking never feels like I'm doing anything. Also like sprints but too much was getting hard on my knees. If walking works for you though that's great! I've just never seen a difference from it.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lost over 40 pounds this year and only cardio was fasted walking. That said I did OMAD + keto (still do) and a few extended water fasts. I know it’s not what you asked about but if fat loss is your goal I strongly urge you to research water fasting.

I’m also a huge proponent of keto and intermittent fasting. Been bulking for a few weeks and all I’ve changed is adding more calories and I’m having much more success than I expected

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do if so everything I do is fasted but I don't se how walking would burn more then running. Harder you work more calories should be burned. I do construction/ demo mostly concrete as my main thing. On weekends lawn care on a lot of large commercial properties. Kept a phone in my pocket to track miles. Biggest lawn I go 13 miles pushing spreader with 50 lbs and lots of hills. Fat melts off. Winter time I do boxing and add yohimbe. Works way better for me anyway. Walking never feels like I'm doing anything. Also like sprints but too much was getting hard on my knees. If walking works for you though that's great! I've just never seen a difference from it.
Walking works better for fat loss because walking utilizes fat for fuel, running utilizes the muscle glycogen first before getting into fat stores.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hello Everyone,

I really did enjoy the book "Body for Life" as it put together many things about goal setting, resistance training, cardiovascular training, supplementation, etc. But, in Bill Philip's new age talk, I think he misused research studies that he could never cite.

Some of his work made statements that I believe true research refutes. Can anyone support or refute me?

1. "Cardio in a fasted state burns far more fat, including 300% more" than doing in a non-fasted state.

The research I read showed that fasted cardio does burn more fat than non-fasted cardio; however, the difference is probably in the 10-20% range, and that fasted cardio often has less intensity than non-fasted cardio, and that it only works if calories are

You look like you cut yourself off, but I think Solution answered this more than sufficiently. Not sure where the 300% was from, but even if there is more “fat” burned during it the body up-regulates and normalizes this throughout the day (the last study posted and emphasis on the RER in that study).

2. "Cardio burns off your muscle?"

I think too much cardiovascular training can burn off your muscle. But, I think about 20 minutes is good per session.

Bodyweight finishers and stair climbing does not seem to eat away muscle.

This isn’t straightforward and an all or nothing answer like this is hardly ever true, as usual “it depends”. I’d argue for the vast majority of people this isn’t something to worry about (and depending on calorie intake it won’t matter). Maybe deep into contest prep for a bodybuilder or someone super lean and deep into a cut when recovery is tapped out and you have to be more careful I would say LISS would be best and that moderate intensity cardio would probably be the worst option.

3. "Free days are necessary to help reset your metabolism."

Small refeeds every 72 hours seems the best way. The protein and carbohydrates can get converted into glucose, hence going into glycogen. The insulin release also is beneficial for normalizing leptin levels. I think the amount of food would be less, as in 100 - 200 grams total of insulin producing sources.

You aren’t going to “reset” metabolism with a free day/refeed or even a short break. The benefits will probably be mostly psychological.

Refeeds May give a small bump to Leptin, but overall it appears to only give short term benefits of appetite reduction and research seems to indicate a long term “break” or maintenance would be required to restore Leptin and mitigate other adaptive effects of energy restriction.

Again that’s not to say it won’t have benefit, psychological benefits seem underrated for diet success and refueling some glycogen stores surely makes you look, feel, and performing better directly after.

4. "If fasted cardio is best, drinking a protein shake or something like Gatorade during the workout is a terrible idea."

Hope we’ve already established fasted cardio isn’t more beneficial so this is already taken care of.

I’d add if taken into account for total caloric intake consuming macronutrients (primarily protein and carbohydrates) around/during training should provide a better net protein muscle balance and allow you to train harder (if you can tolerate them at these times).

5. "If fasted cardio is best, then you need to wait one hour after you eat"

Eating does not slow down metabolism. In fact, after a hard weight training workout, or a weight training workout with cardio afterwards, eating as soon after is necessary for meal replenishment. The fat burning happens during the workout and throughout the day, with little regards to a fasted state or not.

You’ve got the idea here.
Answered in bold.

Walking works better for fat loss because walking utilizes fat for fuel, running utilizes the muscle glycogen first before getting into fat stores.
That’s too simplified a way of looking at it, we shouldn’t be only worried about what burns more fat in the moment.

Reposting last two studies Solution posted for emphasis (and my own pulled out from each):
Twelve hours after the training session, VO2 was still higher in the FED test, whereas RER was significantly lower in the FED test, indicating greater lipid utilization. The difference was still significant 24 hr after exercise.

A meal replacement shake was provided either immediately prior to exercise for the FED group or immediately following exercise for the FASTED group, with this nutritional provision carried out under the supervision of a research assistant. Both groups showed a significant loss of weight (P = 0.0005) and fat mass (P = 0.02) from baseline, but no significant between-group differences were noted in any outcome measure. These findings indicate that body composition changes associated with aerobic exercise in conjunction with a hypocaloric diet are similar regardless whether or not an individual is fasted prior to training.