Can Anyone Definitively Prove Protein Needs for Active People?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I see some people read a lot, and give opinions.

Is there any single guide that tells us our protein needs.

I see many mixed messages:

1. Traditional bodybuilding meatheads always speak of more protein.

In fact, even educated people like Will Brink speak about eating up to 2 grams per kilogram of bodyweight has no adverse effects.

2. Conversely, there seems to be contrarian advice of some people who believe that:

a. Plant proteins are okay, but animal proteins are toxic
b. Protein needs are only about 55 grams per day
c. Veganism, vegetarian etc. diets are superior.

I agree, this is the other extreme.

3. In truth, once data is analyzed, the answer seems to lie somewhere in the middle:

- 1 gram per pound of bodyweight seems like a good amount, without risking deficiency or excess
- Plant proteins are healthier than animal proteins, but whey protein isolate, egg whites, etc. are still good
- The amino acid pool lasts a day, so complementary proteins really do have value

4. Any definitive research to get answers?

5. Even though bodybuilder's fear protein deficiency, are there any real answers to see if someone is protein deficient, rather than calorie deficient?

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Honestly I don't think anyone can make a proven answer, it's going to vary from person to person. Protein isn't just used for muscle though, lots of bodily functions down to a cellular level rely on protein so I feel like it's better to have a little more than a little less.

I feel like the large majority of people seem to agree that 1 G per 1 lb of body weight is plenty to cover all your needs for your average athlete or gym rat so that's what I try to stick to.

I do also believe the more carbs you eat the less protein you need because carbs are muscle sparing.

But again my answer is here are just as speculative as of everyone else's. If I had to make a bet on whether there's a definitive proven answer or not I would bet there's not.

The only thing I can say for a definite is that having enough or a little too much is going to be better than not having enough if your goal is building muscle and staying in shape.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You have to try it for yourself. I do better on high protein. 300 grams minimum. I’m aware numerous studies say I don’t need that much.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You have to try it for yourself. I do better on high protein. 300 grams minimum. I’m aware numerous studies say I don’t need that much.
Hey, if I'm going to overeat my macros, I'd rather eat too much protein than have too much fat or sugary carbs. I don't know anybody who got out of shape because they ate too many chicken breasts 🤷

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The simple answer is no, there isn’t a definitive amount of protein YOU should eat, it’s always going to be individual as to what is optimal for you (and that will depend on specific goals as well as your individual response and utilisation of nutrient makeup).

so we can only work with general advice that will be ok for most (always people on the extremes of everything)

you also have to consider optimal vs minimum requirement

1g per lb is imo a solid target for general fitness minded people, most will be able to build lean mass optimally or close to optimally with that amount and from a satiety and health standpoint it ticks the boxes for most people.

like jstrong I also do better off more, over 300g (I’m 225lbs) definitely sees me in my best shape but it’s hard to adhere to (without overuse of protein shakes) when work is busy.

Most studies I’ve seen suggest .75g per lb is sufficient for the gym community generally (not talking bb’ers here) so I don’t think being at that level would cause an issue for many

but ultimately it’s like bdsm, you gotta try the different levels to see what you find to be the best for you 🤷

big_jewels

big_jewels

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Layne Norton has done extensive research on this subject, check him out on youtube - BioLayne
When I was in my earlier 20's, I use to take in the higher end, after years of research and self - experimentation, I've found less is more for me and go by a 1 gram per a lbs of lean body mass and still hold onto muscle mass even if I dip under and still make muscle gains be it .5-1lb a year now.