Can a Kettlebell Ever Be Too Heavy?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I just mail-ordered a 20-kilogram kettlebell. At least for two-handed and one-handed swings, it is working much better than my 12-kilogram kettlebell.

1. Is there an upper limit?

Obviously, something huge like a 200-kilogram kettlebell would be too heavy to even lift off the ground.

2. My guess is it is the same as using a barbell.

There are benefits to super-heavy ones, like the 5-3-1 rep protocols of Jim Wendler.

But, also benefits to the proven 5*5 Rippetoe Texas Method.

Likewise, 10X10 German Volume Training is good.

12*15 bodybuilding is great, too.

Will Brink's Hybrid Program puts them all together in a week-by-week program.

3. Any advice with Kettlebells, such as "buy one you can swing for at least 5 reps, etc.?)

Thanks

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hi Everyone,

I just mail-ordered a 20-kilogram kettlebell. At least for two-handed and one-handed swings, it is working much better than my 12-kilogram kettlebell.

1. Is there an upper limit?

Obviously, something huge like a 200-kilogram kettlebell would be too heavy to even lift off the ground.

2. My guess is it is the same as using a barbell.

There are benefits to super-heavy ones, like the 5-3-1 rep protocols of Jim Wendler.

But, also benefits to the proven 5*5 Rippetoe Texas Method.

Likewise, 10X10 German Volume Training is good.

12*15 bodybuilding is great, too.

Will Brink's Hybrid Program puts them all together in a week-by-week program.

3. Any advice with Kettlebells, such as "buy one you can swing for at least 5 reps, etc.?)

Thanks
i have a 32kg and a 44kg that I use for swings. Granted I’m 230lbs but I’ve used the 44 at 200lbs no problem. I think it’s fantastic for met con, posterior chain work and drilling in that hip hinge movement.

tbh I think a 12 for you (I know you’ve been training years) is way too light. I’ve had people down at 160lbs plus using a 32 and would suggest that’s probably a good target weight for sets of 10-20 swings regardless of bodyweight (24kg for women).

I have a 110lb girl I train using a 16kg no issues so for sure you want to be well north of that.

for things like thrusters, kb cleans etc then 2x16 or or 2x20 I believe is a good target.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
i have a 32kg and a 44kg that I use for swings. Granted I’m 230lbs but I’ve used the 44 at 200lbs no problem. I think it’s fantastic for met con, posterior chain work and drilling in that hip hinge movement.

tbh I think a 12 for you (I know you’ve been training years) is way too light. I’ve had people down at 160lbs plus using a 32 and would suggest that’s probably a good target weight for sets of 10-20 swings regardless of bodyweight (24kg for women).

I have a 110lb girl I train using a 16kg no issues so for sure you want to be well north of that.

for things like thrusters, kb cleans etc then 2x16 or or 2x20 I believe is a good target.
1. Thanks. I had borrowed the 12 kg's from a satellite gym, at my school in China.

2. The 20-kilogram, I bought myself and just tried today.

3. When I get my next paycheck, I may splurge on up to a 50kg, depending on if I can find a good manufacturer.

4. I definitely feel the difference. I want to go super-heavy.

Those two-handed and one-handed KB swings definitely blast the posterior chain.

It feels more comfortable than barbell squats, etc. as I can just drop the KB a few inches to the ground if I cannot possibly do another. My glutes and hamstrings were definitely weak, relative to their size. I definitely will invest more!

Thanks