Unanswered Can’t squat deep with heavier weight?

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
I just did a deload faze, I was squatting 385 for 3 reps went to squatting 325 and still the same thing can’t squat as deep? Tried stretching everything! I notice my football friends who squat 500 can’t go low either? Why can’t I squat as deep with higher weight?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I just did a deload faze, I was squatting 385 for 3 reps went to squatting 325 and still the same thing can’t squat as deep? Tried stretching everything! I notice my football friends who squat 500 can’t go low either? Why can’t I squat as deep with higher weight?
Probably cause you are lifting to heavy.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I can break parrell with 315 for 10 reps but anything higher I can’t go as deep and tried working my way back up what should I do?
Do warm-up sets with lighter weights. And then up it as you go along. I start with 110x18, 200x15, 250x12, 340x8,8, 250x12, 200x15. When I am going heavy. Right now I am doing light 18 reps every set

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Because you are too weak to squat that weight.
Yah but here’s the thing I hit a pr of 405 and broke parrell! So why when I take 10 to 15 pounds off I can’t go as deep! And if I’m to weak what should I do I did a deload! I can easily rep of 315 ass to grass!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yah but here’s the thing I hit a pr of 405 and broke parrell! So why when I take 10 to 15 pounds off I can’t go as deep! And if I’m to weak what should I do I did a deload! I can easily rep of 315 ass to grass!
Cause you really go as deep as you think with 405.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you want to squat deeper, drop the weight and work on your form. Worked wonders for me back in the day. Hard to tell just from pictures, but I’d guess you use your legs too much. Squats are a hip movement. Use your hips more.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Here we go again.

NONE of your pics anywhere show you squatting low enough. Lighten the weight and do the exercise correctly. People who agree you are squatting correctly are not squatting correctly themselves.

You still have the same problem you had here.
https://anabolicminds.com/community/threads/am-i-squatting-low-enough-pics.310437/#post-6211520
Low enough for what? A powerlifting meet. That squat is plenty low to build leg muscle with the majority of focus being on quads. Im no half repper but you don't need to go ass to grass either

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Low enough for what? A powerlifting meet. That squat is plenty low to build leg muscle with the majority of focus being on quads. Im no half repper but you don't need to go ass to grass either
I wont go lower than that either squatting. I also don't care about trying to hit big numbers.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I wont go lower than that either squatting. I also don't care about trying to hit big numbers.
I start off going ass to grass to get a good stretch, once I work up to a weight I can't do more then 10 reps on I don't break parallel. Broke my ankles a few years back and im too scared of fucking something up

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
Low enough to have your hip crease below your knee which is the correct depth. Like you said, you don't need to go ATG but his lowest is still inches away. I'm not sure what the OP's goal is either but saying you can't go as low with higher weight means it's too heavy. I can add 100 lbs to my squat too if I don't go as deep.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can break parrell with 315 for 10 reps but anything higher I can’t go as deep and tried working my way back up what should I do?
If that is your breaking point from good form vs bad form why not just work with that weight and add more reps or intensity techniques. Over time you should get stronger to support the heavier weight with proper form. I personally would be trying to get 12 15 17 20 reps and so on in the weeks ahead of me. There may be flexibility and mobility issues you need to work out, but until that is determined work in the range you can handle

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
If you want to squat deeper, drop the weight and work on your form. Worked wonders for me back in the day. Hard to tell just from pictures, but I’d guess you use your legs too much. Squats are a hip movement. Use your hips more.
Still think hour good brother
Still think hour?
Ass to Grass Isn't Parallel. Box Squats are Parallel.
Bump! Just realized I was in a different stance in all 3 of those is it better to keep a narrow stance or feet outward

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
And here’s a photo of me going as low as possible with 315 for reps I am 6,3
If your 6 3 you need to evaluate your goals? What is the purpose your working out for? Powerlifting? Athletics? If so what sport? Bodybuilding/hypertrophy? Your at a big disadvantage with your height, so depending on the goal there may be much better options for you as far as exercises you are doing.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
If your 6 3 you need to evaluate your goals? What is the purpose your working out for? Powerlifting? Athletics? If so what sport? Bodybuilding/hypertrophy? Your at a big disadvantage with your height, so depending on the goal there may be much better options for you as far as exercises you are doing.
My goals are to gain srs mass and lift heavy weight I do heavy compounds for strength and isolation for hypertrophy

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My goals are to gain srs mass and lift heavy weight I do heavy compounds for strength and isolation for hypertrophy
If your goals are mass, you should consider your rep range, doesn’t need to be ass to grass, your 6’3. Stay in the low to middle range, do not lock out at the top. Just keep dropping into the bottom (as low as possible) and firing up, then back down. No rest between reps. Also consider other movements. Front squats, hex bar deadlifts, Bulgarian split squats, machine squats, single Db squats, hack squats, leg press etc. also your rep range should be higher with moderate to heavy weight. Think 315 for 20. If you can do 4-5 sets of 315 for 20, your going to have some wheels on you. Guys with huge legs don’t nessesarily go super heavy. Progression is important, but there are many ways to progress. Just don’t get bent outta shape with what limits you, instead find better ways to reach your goal.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Could be that your hips are not built to go that low, it could be too heavy, or you could have bad form.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You are most likely going too heavy and like some already said, work on high reps for awhile and I’m sure you’ll be able to lift heavier.

Btw if it’s mass you’re after the amount of weight is not as important as the amount of reps. I read an article on t-nation (I think) about the most impressive legs they seen, it was some Eastern European that did sets of 8 min with 250!

I catch myself chasing weight too much but it’s not until I’m upping my reps I’m actually catching the weight.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
You are most likely going too heavy and like some already said, work on high reps for awhile and I’m sure you’ll be able to lift heavier.

Btw if it’s mass you’re after the amount of weight is not as important as the amount of reps. I read an article on t-nation (I think) about the most impressive legs they seen, it was some Eastern European that did sets of 8 min with 250!

I catch myself chasing weight too much but it’s not until I’m upping my reps I’m actually catching the weight.
Is that you Bobby?

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
OP does not know how to squat. Talk to some guys who do and they can tweak your form. You will find in the beginning that you wont be able to squat anywhere near the weight you are (not) squatting now.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
OP does not know how to squat. Talk to some guys who do and they can tweak your form. You will find in the beginning that you wont be able to squat anywhere near the weight you are (not) squatting now.
Didn’t you just read I break parrell with 315 for reps! When I ask bodybuilders in the gym they tell me I’m doing fine! So that’s why I come on here for more opinions and I can’t squat extremely low with a body weight squat,it’s like my hip flexors won’t are stuck

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Obviously a video would help the most to get the best feedback...I would suggest you do some mobility work though. Sounds like that’s one of the big issues. Just search hip mobility for squats on YouTube and there are several to go through. Remember this will take time and repetition...Even every day if possible! Do this along with lowering the weight and adding some squat variations to help strengthen your overall squat. You may also have weak glutes/hams as was mentioned earlier.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You’ve got to be doing something seriously wrong. You can break parallel with 315, but not anything heavier or lighter? Not even with no weight? I don’t even know what to do. Maybe find a new hobby?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
the guy is 6’3... anatomically he just may not be strong suited to squat and has to find what works best for him. you are all being real disrespectful, saying find another hobby or learn how to squat. The guy is most likely stronger than a lot of you and yes he may have some mobility issues, and the advice to fix it is very valid, but he is simply asking about how to improve. No need to be a jerk about it. I would like to think we would all be trying to help one another, but hey I should know better than that I guess. @NATURALLYHARD I am all ears if you want some more advice, feel free to pm me.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Video from the side and front if possible.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
the guy is 6’3... anatomically he just may not be strong suited to squat and has to find what works best for him. you are all being real disrespectful, saying find another hobby or learn how to squat. The guy is most likely stronger than a lot of you and yes he may have some mobility issues, and the advice to fix it is very valid, but he is simply asking about how to improve. No need to be a jerk about it. I would like to think we would all be trying to help one another, but hey I should know better than that I guess. @NATURALLYHARD I am all ears if you want some more advice, feel free to pm me.
It’s due to OP’s post history, most of these people wouldn’t say stuff lkke this to just anyone looking for help.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s due to OP’s post history, most of these people wouldn’t say stuff lkke this to just anyone looking for help.
Yeah this is pretty much it. He gets good advice all the time and usually ignores it.

My issue in this thread is he’s claiming he can break parallel with 315 but no more than that. And apparently he can’t even get that low without any weight. How is that even possible?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your true goal is "to get to depth" aka parallel which you definitely arent at in those pictures:

1. Assess ankle mobility - place toes 5" from wall in a half kneeling position and see if you can touch the wall with your knee. If not, you have a mobility restriction.
2. You may have to widen your foot placement. Not everyone is built to squat shoulder width. There will be a point where you reach a true structural restriction where your femur runs into your acetabular rim - you cant go any deeper without lumbar compensation. There are youtube videos on "how to find proper foot width for a squat".
3. Lose the fugging boots.

Edit: and if you really dont give a **** about making it to parallel after all, forget what I said and just squat how you are. Keep doing that until your knees start hurting from chronically 3/4 squatting (ligamentous forces are actually highest on the knee just above parallel so reversing at that position is more than likely going to lead to some pain at some point) and then switch to a different exercise like rear foot elevated split squats, sissy squats, hack squat machine, etc.

Empire, like the prior 2 guys have said we've already gone down this road with this kid. Its like deja vu. I cant believe i even wasted my time posting in a new thread of his.

Last edited:
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How is your hamstring strength? Your hamstrings might be weak and then you do not go down all the way because of the weakness.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
You’ve got to be doing something seriously wrong. You can break parallel with 315, but not anything heavier or lighter? Not even with no weight? I don’t even know what to do. Maybe find a new hobby?
I mean I can get to parrell with 315 or less but I can’t get the extremely deep ass to heel squat is what i truly meant!

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
If your true goal is "to get to depth" aka parallel which you definitely arent at in those pictures:

1. Assess ankle mobility - place toes 5" from wall in a half kneeling position and see if you can touch the wall with your knee. If not, you have a mobility restriction.
2. You may have to widen your foot placement. Not everyone is built to squat shoulder width. There will be a point where you reach a true structural restriction where your femur runs into your acetabular rim - you cant go any deeper without lumbar compensation. There are youtube videos on "how to find proper foot width for a squat".
3. Lose the fugging boots.

Edit: and if you really dont give a **** about making it to parallel after all, forget what I said and just squat how you are. Keep doing that until your knees start hurting from chronically 3/4 squatting (ligamentous forces are actually highest on the knee just above parallel so reversing at that position is more than likely going to lead to some pain at some point) and then switch to a different exercise like rear foot elevated split squats, sissy squats, hack squat machine, etc.

Empire, like the prior 2 guys have said we've already gone down this road with this kid. Its like deja vu. I cant believe i even wasted my time posting in a new thread of his.
Hey man I just watched a video of me repping 315 and my foot placement was definitely wider,would that make a huge difference in squat depth?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey man I just watched a video of me repping 315 and my foot placement was definitely wider,would that make a huge difference in squat depth?
If you have a mobility restriction at your ankle(s) or anthropometric hip variant that requires you to squat wider in order to keep the femur from colliding with the acetabulum, most definitely.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How about you post the video for us to check out and help? It would be soooo much easier than guessing off a picture.
100000%.