Calories for a successful cut

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hi Guys,

I am quite new to the counting of calories thing, I have quite a bit of fat im wanting to cut, but unsure where my calories should be... ive read a few different things.

I am 6 foot 2, weigh 98kgs and around 20%bf and 26 years old

I read i should be around 2,500 calories, others say 2,000... ive been sitting on 2,500 the past week, but havent done much working out as i injured my shoulder... just a bit confused where to go, i want to smash out this fat fast, hoping to lose 5-6 % in 6 weeks

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
To figure your TDEE you can multiply your weight 98 x 2.20462 = 216.053 to get your weight in pounds, then multiply it by 11 = 2376.583
Your TDEE = 2376.583

Or this site can give you an estimation based on more factors. https://tdeecalculator.net
When I punch in your numbers I get the following information.

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 7.35.51 PM.png

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
MyFitnessPal is a decent free app to track with

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ Yep i love myfitness pal. I'd download that app and just search online for tdee calculators and macronutrient calculators and they will give you the numbers based on your height, weight, age, and activity level.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
...I read i should be around 2,500 calories, others say 2,000... ive been sitting on 2,500 the past week, but havent done much working out as i injured my shoulder... just a bit confused where to go, i want to smash out this fat fast, hoping to lose 5-6 % in 6 weeks
The information other's gave is great, but calorie maintenance will vary per person. There is no magic number that an online calculator will spit out that fits you perfectly. Use these calculators as a guide, and track your macros consistently to learn where you fall as an individual. As mentioned, myfitnesspal is my favorite for tracking macros.

If you're new to tracking, and you've been consistent with 2500 calories per day and you aren't seeing progress, lower your calories a bit. But make sure you're tracking everything, everything. A seemingly insignificant 200-300 calories off per day can make or break progress, so be sure you are honest with your tracking and consistent with your methods.

Also, one more thing, don't expect to lose 5-6% bodyfat over a 6 week period. I would set a more realistic goal so you won't get discouraged. I would choose a body weight goal rather than a bodyfat % goal, as bodyfat can be difficult to track accurately. The bathroom scale doesn't lie, and its a fool proof tool for tracking progress. With a 6 week diet, you should aim to lose approx. 6-8 pounds if you're on point with your macros and training/cardio

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The information other's gave is great, but calorie maintenance will vary per person. There is no magic number that an online calculator will spit out that fits you perfectly. Use these calculators as a guide, and track your macros consistently to learn where you fall as an individual. As mentioned, myfitnesspal is my favorite for tracking macros.

If you're new to tracking, and you've been consistent with 2500 calories per day and you aren't seeing progress, lower your calories a bit. But make sure you're tracking everything, everything. A seemingly insignificant 200-300 calories off per day can make or break progress, so be sure you are honest with your tracking and consistent with your methods.

Also, one more thing, don't expect to lose 5-6% bodyfat over a 6 week period. I would set a more realistic goal so you won't get discouraged. I would choose a body weight goal rather than a bodyfat % goal, as bodyfat can be difficult to track accurately. The bathroom scale doesn't lie, and its a fool proof tool for tracking progress. With a 6 week diet, you should aim to lose approx. 6-8 pounds if you're on point with your macros and training/cardio
Thanks for the info, tge reasoning behind the 6% loss expectation is i used the be around 10-12% for years then a gew injuries and depression set me back, im hoping there is some kind of muscle memory thing + im going to hit HIIT like crazy

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info, tge reasoning behind the 6% loss expectation is i used the be around 10-12% for years then a gew injuries and depression set me back, im hoping there is some kind of muscle memory thing + im going to hit HIIT like crazy
You got it man. Best of luck on your goals. Don't kill yourself trying to get too lean too quick though. The more consistent and patient you are, the better your results will be. Trying to speed fat loss can result in a slower metabolism, and it can leave you feeling like sh*t, I've been there before haha