Caloric Deficit Vs LISS

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've always been able to cut easily via caloric deficit plus HIIT and accomplish BF goals in short periods (2, maybe 3 months tops). But there is a great sacrifice in strength in doing so.

Right now after 10 years of habit, I'm reverse dieting to see how my metabolism reacts... and it's blowing my mind. I'm up 300-500 calories daily and not only is the scale not going up, but my squat belt is getting looser and strength is doing well.

My plan was to go on a hard cut mid Dec for 8 weeks leading into a Mexico trip.

Problem is, I don't want to sacrifice this gain train I'm on with the cut date being only 3 weeks away.

I'm contemplating maintaining, or even slightly increasing calories further but adding in 30 minute LISS sessions.

I'd love to hear constructive thoughts on it as I'm possibly overthinking everything. I have a LOT of time and I'm 90% certain I'll be happy with a 10lb cut. I have 80 days from today. In fact even 8lbs puts me where I was last time which I was quite happy with but I think I'm holding more lean mass now than then.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I want to add, I removed LISS from my routine a few weeks ago to focus on strength. (was doing about 45min lifting + 20-30min LISS. Now I'm doing 60-90min lifting only).

So my thoughts are... adding maybe 4 days of LISS. 30MIN sessions.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had and continue to have great success with reverse dieting. When I started my cut I was closer to 2600/day. Ive slowly increased to where I am now, around 3100/day and losing at the same pace as I was back at 2600. Slow, spaced out increases were key, I think.

I’ve been at a deficit for a while now and starting to increase strength in some areas, so not all is lost. Squat is climbing again, at least.

LISS also, but my schedule doesn’t support much of it. I like high incline walking when I do it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have had and continue to have great success with reverse dieting. When I started my cut I was closer to 2600/day. Ive slowly increased to where I am now, around 3100/day and losing at the same pace as I was back at 2600. Slow, spaced out increases were key, I think.

I’ve been at a deficit for a while now and starting to increase strength in some areas, so not all is lost. Squat is climbing again, at least.

LISS also, but my schedule doesn’t support much of it. I like high incline walking when I do it.
What incline and speed do you use?

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you don’t do a 10 minute walk after eating, that would be something to consider. A short walk after eating can help digestion and help keep your metabolism firing. Plus, I noticed it really helps me with my state of mind (it’s relaxing and helps me with stress management). Doesn’t have to be anything crazy either. I have a couple routes at work and a treadmill at home to take care of it.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
a treadmill at home to take care of it.
I work from home so I try to get on the treadmill after each meal if my meetings allow for it. Best part of working at home for sure!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What incline and speed do you use?
I work up to a full incline, “12” on my machine. The warmup now is like :30 increases from 3-6-9-12, then if I feel really fatigued I’ll work down earlier the same way.

Speed is generally 2.7-3, with a +/- of .3. If I’m grabbing the rails I back it down. If not, I push it.

To prevent myself from unknowing grabbing the rails I usually hold a football. It’s something to occupy my hands that doesn’t involve a distraction (such as a phone).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I work up to a full incline, “12” on my machine. The warmup now is like :30 increases from 3-6-9-12, then if I feel really fatigued I’ll work down earlier the same way.

Speed is generally 2.7-3, with a +/- of .3. If I’m grabbing the rails I back it down. If not, I push it.

To prevent myself from unknowing grabbing the rails I usually hold a football. It’s something to occupy my hands that doesn’t involve a distraction (such as a phone).
I was doing a 2.5-2.7mph speed on a 5-7incline while practicing my spanish (lol duolingo). I usually did 20 minutes of that as a warmup then would do like 1/4 mile sprints at a medium pace run so not really full out HIIT but needed it to kill the boredom. I always kept that at a +1 incline, then would essentially go 1:1 with walk/run.