Calling all New Yorkers

cliff_vtr

Awards
Planning on coming over to the states for a holiday (vacation or whatever you guys call it :). Looking at going NYC for a week in a year or so.

Anyone recommend some nice hotels and what things should be on my "must see whilst in New York"

cheers

Paul

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
This may seem like an odd reccommendation, but this place is a trip
http://www.russianturkishbaths.com/enter.html

I went here last year with my friend and his girlfriend. The Russian bath is nuts. It must be 125 degrees. When it gets so hot you can't stand it you dump a bucket of cold water over your head. Do this a few times and you feel like you are on a drug:) Natural, of course. Beyond the fact that the different steam/sauna type rooms make you feel great, it is a chill place. There was a chick in the Russian bath wearing a bathing suit/dress type of deal. She sat right across from me and spread her legs to reveal herself :thumbsup: I was dating a friend of my friend's girlfriend, so its not like I could do anything about it :( But I have a feeling this place has some potential.

After, we went to the roof deck to drink Russian beer and smoke a joint. A fun time.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Try the seaport suites , a block away from Broadway and central to a subway!!! very cool...check out the Village, so ho and to many other things to list.....

The suites are cool, well priced and near the bridge ( awesome view)

have fun

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Ex-New Yorker.
Great food, great price, better for lunch:
http://www.luparestaurant.com/

You have to hit Museum of Natural History Central Park West at 79th St, you can then see central park and hit the museums on the upper east side.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Ex-New Yorker.
Great food, great price, better for lunch:
http://www.luparestaurant.com/

You have to hit Museum of Natural History Central Park West at 79th St, you can then see central park and hit the museums on the upper east side.
The Natural History Museum is awesome, as is the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). Central Park is always fun because there's always something going on and someone playing music somewhere. I forget where it is, but Sammy's Noodle Bar has great soups and noodles. I think it's right on the edge of the east village. A trip up the Hudson to see some of the smaller, quainter towns is something people usually like to do. A short trip down Route 17B I believe will land you right next to the Delaware River and some incredible scenery, with rafting and kayaking all available at a lot of spots. Water is great now too. Warm enough to swim and crystal clear.

My home of Long Island has some nice spots too. There are a few towns on the north shore like Huntington that are always jumping and have great bar scenes. The south shore has the best beaches with some decent surfing. I recommend Jones Beach and Smith's Point. My two favorites. Further east on the north fork of the island there's a shitload of vinyards that will offer tours and tastings and the like. Plus who knows what festival will be going on in the city when you get here. The south fork of the island has the Hamptons. In the summer it's a great bar/club spot. If you're here on a Sunday I'd recommend going to the Boardy Barn. It's an experience, and everyone there is looking to hook up. Then there are several beach bars you can go to on the shore itself. 7 is a nice spot in the Hamptons, as is Foggy Goggle.

Your best bet is to hook up with someone your first night here and have them show you the town. Nothing better than a local guide, and despite the rumors there's no shortage of nice people in the city or the island.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
"despite the rumors there's no shortage of nice people in the city or the island"
And that's a fact.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a couple off the top of my head:

Empire State Building Get the mp3 headset when you go up to the observation deck

Circle Line Do the three hour tour.

NYC Water Taxi Really Cool.

This is very tourist(ie) stuff. But I'll tell you what...I grew up in Brooklyn NY and it was the very best time I had in recent visits.