Calculating the rate of fat loss

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok so I read that 40% of fatty tissue in humans is water. So when calculating the rate at which you’ll be shedding fat, do you actually lose [(the amount of fat you burn) x 1.66]g ?

Say I’ll be eating at a 1100kcal weekly deficit for 12 weeks.
1100 x 12 (no. weeks) / 9 (kcal per g of fat) = g of fat burnt off over 12 weeks (assuming very efficient fat burning)
1100 x 12 / 9 = 1466.7g

So at the end of the 12 weeks, should I expect to be 1466.7g lighter (the amount of fat I’m expecting to burn), or should I be 1466.7g x 1.66 lighter (assuming you lose an additional 0.66g of water per 1g of fat as fatty tissue)?
(1.66 being 100/60)

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There is a 70.6% chance that I am correct when I say that in 94.7% of cases you can’t simplify fat burning to that level.

Far too many other processes affect the rate at which you burn fat to even attempt to calculate it like you are......pointless even trying, just eat at your deficit, use the mirror and scales and evaluate as you go.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There is a 70.6% chance that I am correct when I say that in 94.7% of cases you can’t simplify fat burning to that level.

Far too many other processes affect the rate at which you burn fat to even attempt to calculate it like you are......pointless even trying, just eat at your deficit, use the mirror and scales and evaluate as you go.
Pretty much this. There’s no way you’d be able to accurately measure to that detail from figuring out exactly how much you burn to the fluctuations in caloric values of food, etc. Use it as a guide to move in a direction and adjust based on progress.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I appreciate that but I’d like to have a ballpark estimate. I want to be down to ~8% body fat in 12 weeks and I have two meal plans. With one, each week I’d be at a 700kcal deficit and with the other I’d be at a 1100kcal weekly deficit. I’d like to figure out which one I should go with

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Id say give it your best for 8-12 weeks... Then assess progress, jump back up to maintenance cals for 3-4 weeks. If you need more loss, jump back to cut for another 8-12 weeks...

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like Whiskey says... Too much variables... if you have higher testosterone you are gonna burn more fat than someone with low testosterone. That low T person can diet ass off and they will just go catabolic and lose muscle. It’s very subject specific. I suppose if you were in a lab and had blood work taken daily and a scientist was feeding you an exact calorie liquid food and constant monitoring of training stimulus, maybe....... he could dial in a hypothesis this precise. There is no way you will be able to dial in to this level... IMO