Calculating macros to cut after a bulk

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established
Hello, I’m trying to cut down on some weight and lose some body fat. I recently got done bulking and am looking for some advice on how to keep most of the muscle gained but lose some fat. I weigh 208lbs and I’m trying to figure how many calories I should cut down to and off that figure out my fat/ carb intake. Can someone help me a bit? Thanks in advance!

Nspire

Nspire

Awards
Hello, I’m trying to cut down on some weight and lose some body fat. I recently got done bulking and am looking for some advice on how to keep most of the muscle gained but lose some fat. I weigh 208lbs and I’m trying to figure how many calories I should cut down to and off that figure out my fat/ carb intake. Can someone help me a bit? Thanks in advance!
I am no pro and learning myself but I use an app called My Macros + and it calculated exactly as my nutritionist had suggested for my macros. I look forward to other responses so I can learn as well.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If you wanna keep the muscle you gained you should spend some time maintain that weight or try to keep gaining. Every single person I see that trys to cut right after a bulk just goes back to looking the same unless there on gear and even then they still loose everything once there off. The guys who recomp or bulk for long periods and maintain there new size are the ones who continue to get better. If your dead set on cutting don't just drop calories, do a slow reverse diet from where your at now

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established
If you wanna keep the muscle you gained you should spend some time maintain that weight or try to keep gaining. Every single person I see that trys to cut right after a bulk just goes back to looking the same unless there on gear and even then they still loose everything once there off. The guys who recomp or bulk for long periods and maintain there new size are the ones who continue to get better. If your dead set on cutting don't just drop calories, do a slow reverse diet from where your at now
I bulked got about 9 1/2 months so I spent some time in that phase. I backed my calories off by about 600 and plan on doing light cardio 2 times a week. I’m also on a fat burner as well. I’m keeping my protein levels the same (over 250g)

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I bulked got about 9 1/2 months so I spent some time in that phase. I backed my calories off by about 600 and plan on doing light cardio 2 times a week. I’m also on a fat burner as well. I’m keeping my protein levels the same (over 250g)
Were you tracking macros/calories during your bulk? If so you'll have an easier time with it. If you were bulking for 9 months and putting on weight consistently, you should be able to work backwards from your intake to determine your maintenance cals.

I agree with Smont - take the first few weeks very slowly with the cut. I would suggest sticking close to maintenance cals for the first 4-5 weeks to see how your body responds.

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established
Were you tracking macros/calories during your bulk? If so you'll have an easier time with it. If you were bulking for 9 months and putting on weight consistently, you should be able to work backwards from your intake to determine your maintenance cals.

I agree with Smont - take the first few weeks very slowly with the cut. I would suggest sticking close to maintenance cals for the first 4-5 weeks to see how your body responds.
Is there a calculator online where you I put your credentials and it gives you a caloric maintenance level?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Is there a calculator online where you I put your credentials and it gives you a caloric maintenance level?
They aren't always accurate, but it's a good starting point. If you google 'TDEE calc' there should be a few different links and options.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We cannot tell you specifically how many calories you need. You need to figure out your TDEE and go from there. You should know what that is though if you were bulking. Depending on how aggressive you want your cut to be, you can either eat anywhere from a few hundred to five hundred calories below your maintenance.

In terms of macros, that is highly dependent as well. Some people thrive on low carbs while other cannot function. Generally, you could go with a 40/40/20 macro split C/P/F. However, I would suggest setting protein high during a cut (1.5g/lb), fats should be at least 20% of your macros and the rest I would make carbs. Just do not go below 20% on your fats as a rule of thumb.

You could also try carb cycling. It is effective whether cutting, bulking, or recomping. Here is a good article to read on carb cycle. Do not follow the article for the low fats on cutting when carb cycling though.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We cannot tell you specifically how many calories you need. You need to figure out your TDEE and go from there. You should know what that is though if you were bulking. Depending on how aggressive you want your cut to be, you can either eat anywhere from a few hundred to five hundred calories below your maintenance.

In terms of macros, that is highly dependent as well. Some people thrive on low carbs while other cannot function. Generally, you could go with a 40/40/20 macro split C/P/F. However, I would suggest setting protein high during a cut (1.5g/lb), fats should be at least 20% of your macros and the rest I would make carbs. Just do not go below 20% on your fats as a rule of thumb.

You could also try carb cycling. It is effective whether cutting, bulking, or recomping. Here is a good article to read on carb cycle. Do not follow the article for the low fats on cutting when carb cycling though.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/carb-cycling-codex