Bulking * interesting question*

jgrigs

Awards
Hey Guys ,

I consider myself a skinny guy , I guess would fall under the category of a "hard gainer". In the last
2 years I have been really going at it really hard. My highest goal would be a few years from now to reach
about 175lbs , fill out my problems areas. Upper pecs , front delts , traps. I really lack in these areas , and then
maintain that Physique consistently into my older age.

I have changed my approach twice , and now im confused , because there is so much info out there.

My first approach was to drop my body fat to around 10 pct where I felt comfortable and then raise my calories
about 600 calories over my maintenance and keep my protein to a 1gr per body weight. All my meals were small
and spread apart into 6 meals. With all the expected nutriets. I was doing 2 body parts per day and working out 4 X
a week. With a balance workout with 3 sets and 8-10 rep range , with expected progression.

I got fed up becuz my new trainer convinced me , that as a hardgainer I was doing it all wrong.

He changed my diet and now im eating about 4000 calories , Spread into 7 meals. And I really increased my carbs. My protein
is now at 2gr per body weight and im now pumping in more shakes and adding Vitargo and I am taking alot more supplemets
Glutamine , Fish oils , Bcaa , Zma , Creatine. My calories are high but it consists of alot of healthy foods , Lean mets , Fish , Nuts , Natural peanut butter , yams , Simple carms , and skim milk with my shakes , also alot of greens.

My training increased aswell , I am now mixing it up with 5 and 4 sets varying from 10-12 rep range to 8-10. I am also hitting 1 muscle
per day and 5 days at the gym.

These are 2 proven methods , But 1 side , will tell you even if u bulk 75% of the weight u gain needs to be cut off , and you can just gain
it in a slow and steady manner without all the extra effort and use of a cutting cycle.

The other side will tell u , if u dont train harder and cause higher tension and muscular hypertrophy , you wont shock your muscles into
growing , and if u do that you need all the extra carbs protein and calories , to handle that intensity.

Im asking the body building world for a direct answer ?! Do they both work , and why does each approach have good arguments against
the other?

I'd especially like some input from actuall skinny guys who reached their goals

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
The one truth about training and diet is that while there are some tried and true methods, not everything works for everybody.
People are all different. Some have higher metabolisms, some lower. Some put on muscle easily some not so much.
There is always a lot of trial and error until you find the right workout and diet that your body responds to.
If some one tries to tell you that this routine is the best or the "right way" to train, or this is the best diet to follow.
That's not a workout or diet, it's a religion.
Do some research, incorporate what you learn into your routine, and you will find out what works for you.
Good luck.
Peace

johnathan1995

johnathan1995

Awards
I used to be really skinny too but not anymore.i used to train damn hard as only train my upper body and didn't care enough of my diet or sleep.not after I start incorporating those compound movements like bench press,squats dead lifts,overhead presses,rows and train my whole body and also always try to keep the intensity up and push my muscles to failure with heavy weights with good form.and counting my macros and calories really helped to control my body fat and weight management.and I've also always make sure I get 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night.its not that complicated actually.just gotta train hard,eat right and sleep enough and all will come.if you want different goals then just tweak you're diet an training a little to reach that goal.always do lots of research the best place to learn is here or bodybuilding.com in my opinion.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Where in the world did you pull a 75% loss of gains from off season? If you lean out correctly, you should loose next to nothing. Obviously fast metabolisms, hard gainers, ectomorphic body frames are quicker to drop but still this can be calculated for.

Your trainer is right: If your a hard gainer then 4000 calories is gonna be what you need. Protein should be more like 1.5x BW but as a basic model I would say "What weight do you WANT to be - thats your minimal # in grams." Carbs gotta be high, more than protein. Fats stay lower, only the ones you need to lube the engine. For you, more like 60-70g.

It's been proven that the most effective way to stimulate hypertrophy is training to failure. Getting to the last rep you cannot possibly accomplish. It has the most significant effects on testosterone and IGF release but also raises cortisol during training due to the stress inflected. Not a big deal - cortisol is necessary for catabolic pathways in our metabolism to lead for the greater good. Too much is a problem.

This can all be done in the 2nd model you provided. Bigger muscle groups get the 10-12 rep range, smaller ones go 8-10. Dont keep changing too soon! In order to shock the body it needs to become comfortable with its current routine.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
i went from 160 to 195 over the span of 1-2 years with a cut in between...

I was eating up 3600-3800 calories to gain a lb a week.....

But I was doing a bunch of different routines....as long as you don't feel bored with your current workout then no need to change it unless you don't feel like its not hard enough

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
i went from 160 to 195 over the span of 1-2 years with a cut in between...

I was eating up 3600-3800 calories to gain a lb a week.....

But I was doing a bunch of different routines....as long as you don't feel bored with your current workout then no need to change it unless you don't feel like its not hard enough
Highly disagree, especially in a bulk. Stick with big motions and leave the iso stuff for cutting and details. It's important to remain consistent as to really get the most growth of the body part. You shouldn't be switching things up before 4 weeks and even then only moving from something like incline bench to incline dumbbell. When going for big weight gain keep it simple and basic

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Highly disagree, especially in a bulk. Stick with big motions and leave the iso stuff for cutting and details. It's important to remain consistent as to really get the most growth of the body part. You shouldn't be switching things up before 4 weeks and even then only moving from something like incline bench to incline dumbbell. When going for big weight gain keep it simple and abasic
agree 100% bud!