Bulk Casein, whey, or weight gainer?

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
So I've got a meet coming and really am thinking about nailing the next 16 weeks that I've got to prep. Was thinking about buying a weight gainer (mammoth or mutant) - then started contemplating just buying main ingredients separately - then asked myself - is it really going to be much better than whey concentrate and food? What's your thoughts on this?

My main thought obviously was just to have something easy and convenient that I don't really have to weigh up/put in a blender. I'll be lean bulking for the competition so I thought it may be useful just to be able to add calories in easy to plan scoop (if not gaining enough can just add another scoop to the day)

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I always opt to go the whey/casein protein and food. Weight gainers are convenient, but they're usually quite expensive (price per serving wise). I would suggest adding your own carbs and fats to your shakes. My go-to's are oat flour (quick oats in a blender) to mix with whey, and raw almonds or walnuts for fat sources. I find this route to be a lot cheaper, and its nice to be able to customize your shakes to meet your macro/calorie needs.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Yah I was thinking maybe oat flour and maltodextrin as carb sources. Aside from that most of my fats come from foods.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Yah I was thinking maybe oat flour and maltodextrin as carb sources. Aside from that most of my fats come from foods.
Yeah that's my recommendation. Other's may think differently, but I find weight gainer powder to be overpriced for what you're really getting. There are some products with "fancy" carbs in them that some people really notice benefits from, but I prefer to keep it cost effective and stick with cheaper whole food sources. I've heard of guys adding quinoa into their whey shakes too. Never tried it, but I guess its another carb to consider haha

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Oils are good for kcals and fats - Olive and Coconut (etc...) can be carried around in a gym bag with the protein. I agree that "weight gainers" (ie. calories) are over-priced.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
Anyone ever try chick pea flour? High in carbs and protein

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Buy whey in bulk, and add your own carbs --> Oats,, berries, banana's, or pack some carbs on the side (Trail mix, granola, rice cakes, breads, dried fruits, cereals)
add your own fats --> Oil's, nut butters
Will be cheaper per serving than buying a gainer and include far more micronutrients. Better than buying a huge gainer and getting maybe 15-20 servings out of it.

ForceOfNature

Awards
Mass gainer is more convenient. If you have trouble hitting your cals for the day, go with a mass gainer but if you can hit your cals with food then go with a whey/casein blend. Also, if your going with a mass gainer, don't go with mutant, it's loaded with ****. I would recommend quick mass, serious mass, carnivor mass, big time or pro complex gainer. There all high quality but the most bang for your buck would be serious mass.

DonnieM

DonnieM

Awards
  • Established
Just do a "smoothie" with your favourite protein+maltodextrine+oils+fruit.