Unanswered Building a Computer (sort of)

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Prolly gonna get a lot of **** for this but I like to game quite a bit. I love macs due to their ease of use, no need for antivirus etc but the problem is their built in graphics cards aren’t the best.

I’m looking at getting the new 2019 that got launched yesterday and I was wondering what y’all thought about it. 8 core processor etc everything seems great even the graphics card seems exceptional compared to past models, but I was thinking I would go with an external graphics card instead and just upgrade everything else.

Thoughts? My current Mac is 4 years old in about a month and aside from poor battery life the thing works really well still.

Just curious if anyone else has done something like this and their experiences.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So this would be for gaming? I know a lot of gamers who prefer computers over consoles and every single one uses a PC.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I was gonna build a PC but after looking in to it with an external GPU macs do almost as well if not better than most PCs (unless top of the line) Less viruses too which has always been an issue. Me and PCs never worked well cause they’d always get infected lol granted I was young but still

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If I custom built a pc I’m sure it would probably be better in the long run but 1) I have no idea how to do that, 2) I’m stupid lol, 3) I don’t have all the time to do that, 4) not portable for work (when I have to do some work on trips), 5) apple care

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Im a hardcore gamer too! External graphic card? Why? What games you plan on gaming? Do you want to run these game at a top tier level with high FPS or no? I can help you quite a bit build that up if you want

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yeah, if you wanted to build a gaming PC, I would recommend a desktop and there are tons of tutorials online. It's fairly easy once you get going. My wife is into WoW and has built a couple on her own as I tend to stick to PS4. Alienware has some good gaming laptops, but they run about as much as a Mac.

I'm not really one way or the other and in fact have a PC and a Mac setup on my office desk and travel with an iPad and PC laptop. You can absolutely use a Mac for gaming, but that comes with a lot of caveats. If it's primarily for gaming and you want portability, I would look at higher end PC laptops, especially for what you're going to spend on the Mac and then the upgrades.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Im a hardcore gamer too! External graphic card? Why? What games you plan on gaming? Do you want to run these game at a top tier level with high FPS or no? I can help you quite a bit build that up if you want
Macs are actually surprisingly good all around EXCEPT for their GPUs, they kinda suck in that department. External GPUs put them on par with pretty much everything else. The biggest thing for me is just not having to worry about viruses honestly. The way the new macs are set up, a single chip houses all the critical stuff that’s commonly infected so basically even if I run windows on a Mac, the chances of getting a virus are super slim now (though probably possible)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Macs are actually surprisingly good all around EXCEPT for their GPUs, they kinda suck in that department. External GPUs put them on par with pretty much everything else. The biggest thing for me is just not having to worry about viruses honestly. The way the new macs are set up, a single chip houses all the critical stuff that’s commonly infected so basically even if I run windows on a Mac, the chances of getting a virus are super slim now (though probably possible)
When was the last time you had a PC? I only ask because you seem extremely worried about viruses and I haven't had a PC virus since the days of Napster and Kazaa in the early 2000s.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Brotha you’ll never convince me that gaming on a Mac is good lol that **** Garbo for gaming. What specs is in your computer?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I changed over about 4 years ago when I went to college.

Looking at the following in the new one
Looks pretty solid overall to me but I don’t know what kind of numbers are great.

2.4 gHz 8 core 9th gen i9
32GB 2400 MHz DDR4 memory
Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB GDDR5 memory (base since I’m gonna prob get an external)
512GB SSD

One I have now is older and it’s pretty good, runs more games well but obviously not on the highest resolution.

Just not having to worry about any antivirus stuff is nice, and having switched over it’s a lot more streamlined. Also it’s waaay easy to put windows on a Mac now a days if I ever wanted windows.