Brazilian jiu-jitsu

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
Anyone tried this or currently do this? I’ve always been interested in it and have heavily considered trying it for cardio as a weight loss tool.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Anyone tried this or currently do this? I’ve always been interested in it and have heavily considered trying it for cardio as a weight loss tool.
Yep, I've wrestled all my youth from age 5-21, did boxing and bjj from 17-21 and just got back into all of it recently. In the learning stages of bjj I'd say it's not the greatest for getting in shape but once your rolling on a regular basis and if you have a competitive group of guys it will eventually be a fantastic way to get your cardio in and while it's not going to build any muscle, it will develop a different type of strength you get from the grappling at a high intensity.

If you really want to kick it up a notch after the classes get yourself a pair of boxing gloves and go beat up the heavy bag. Maybe just take a couple lessons on striking so you know what you're doing first, not only does it look very awkward when someone who doesn't really know what they're doing is hitting the bag but if you don't know how to throw crunches properly and you practice throwing sloppy punches or unrealistic combinations you only get good at doing stuff that's not helpful. so you want to learn how to throw things correctly so you can practice them correctly so you can get good at doing them correctly. Just like anything else

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yep, I've wrestled all my youth from age 5-21, did boxing and bjj from 17-21 and just got back into all of it recently. In the learning stages of bjj I'd say it's not the greatest for getting in shape but once your rolling on a regular basis and if you have a competitive group of guys it will eventually be a fantastic way to get your cardio in and while it's not going to build any muscle, it will develop a different type of strength you get from the grappling at a high intensity.

If you really want to kick it up a notch after the classes get yourself a pair of boxing gloves and go beat up the heavy bag. Maybe just take a couple lessons on striking so you know what you're doing first, not only does it look very awkward when someone who doesn't really know what they're doing is hitting the bag but if you don't know how to throw crunches properly and you practice throwing sloppy punches or unrealistic combinations you only get good at doing stuff that's not helpful. so you want to learn how to throw things correctly so you can practice them correctly so you can get good at doing them correctly. Just like anything else
I use talk to text for all of that so if anything looks funky that's why lol

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards

Yeah I used to box competitively back in the day. It was the best shape physically I’ve ever been in. I’m actually contemplating using boxing as a method to get back in shape in the form of HIIT.

I’ve always been interested in BJJ though as I have heard it’s not only the most effective martial art in the world but it’s also just amazing to get that flexibility, conditioning and learning ways of counters and so forth.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah I used to box competitively back in the day. It was the best shape physically I’ve ever been in. I’m actually contemplating using boxing as a method to get back in shape in the form of HIIT.

I’ve always been interested in BJJ though as I have heard it’s not only the most effective martial art in the world but it’s also just amazing to get that flexibility, conditioning and learning ways of counters and so forth.
I'd say it's arguably the most important martial arts, that's why every top MMA fighter practices bjj and wrestling. It's like the core of the MMA fighters game.

In a street fight if you only knew bjj and nothing else, probably not the most effective. If you could only pick one to be the most effective for a street fight I would have to guess it be boxing or kickboxing.

I was training for a fight "boxing" the past few months and the guy pulled out last minute, I'm trying again in September. I'm 37 and my last fight was at age 20-21 lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If it goes well and my feet hold up il probably try to squeeze a MMA fight in too, that's something I haven't done since I was 19 lol.

Old man trying to play the young mans game one last time before it's too late

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
When my trainer was out looking for opponents his approach was this, **** you not lol.

" I got a guy who's tough as nails and he got rocks in his hands, but he's pushing 40 and hasn't fought in 200 years "

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
When my trainer was out looking for opponents his approach was this, **** you not lol.

" I got a guy who's tough as nails and he got rocks in his hands, but he's pushing 40 and hasn't fought in 200 years "
Man when I was boxing at age 17-20 I was in there with a lot of guys that were older. To be honest some of them were in just as good as shape as I was.

Keep at it and let us know how it goes. I’d love to compete in the BJJ. My biggest challenge will be getting the nerve to walk in for the first time but in doing so I think I’ll get a lot of my confidence back and move forward with my life.

That divorce wrecked me man mentally more than anything. I gotta find my mojo again if you know what I mean.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Man when I was boxing at age 17-20 I was in there with a lot of guys that were older. To be honest some of them were in just as good as shape as I was.

Keep at it and let us know how it goes. I’d love to compete in the BJJ. My biggest challenge will be getting the nerve to walk in for the first time but in doing so I think I’ll get a lot of my confidence back and move forward with my life.

That divorce wrecked me man mentally more than anything. I gotta find my mojo again if you know what I mean.
I don't know what every gym is like, but at our gym we do boxing, MMA, bjj, kickboxing, wrestling, strongman/weightlifting.

All ages from 5 year old boys and girls to professional men and women boxers, pro MMA fighters ect. And everyone is welcome, no1 cares if your good or not they find a place for you to work in and learn. Unless your trying to join a top gym loaded with pro fighters and big money trainers, you have no reason not to go try it. There most likely going to be glad to teach you and you will make friends

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
I don't know what every gym is like, but at our gym we do boxing, MMA, bjj, kickboxing, wrestling, strongman/weightlifting.

All ages from 5 year old boys and girls to professional men and women boxers, pro MMA fighters ect. And everyone is welcome, no1 cares if your good or not they find a place for you to work in and learn. Unless your trying to join a top gym loaded with pro fighters and big money trainers, you have no reason not to go try it. There most likely going to be glad to teach you and you will make friends
That’s what I’m hoping for and is probably the reality of it. Do you think I should work on getting in shape before going or do you think I should use it as a tool to get in shape?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That’s what I’m hoping for and is probably the reality of it. Do you think I should work on getting in shape before going or do you think I should use it as a tool to get in shape?
If you wait to get in shape you will use that as a excuse not to go. Just go

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've had ppl tell me they need to get in shape so they can start going back to the gym..... Say that out loud to yourself and think about how it sounds lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The correct statement would be, I need to go to the gym to get back in shape

MikeWay

Awards
I did Judo for a few years when I was a kid. I don’t know why, maybe this is my natur, but while I was doing judo, I was thin. I remember it was good cardio training for me. While I did Judo I felt very energetic. Now, I mostly run in the park or on a treadmill like this at home.

lamarclark09

Awards
Yes, I try it and I lose 3000 calories in a week. Bjj training is helpful in weight loss. But it depends on training and then you can lose the calories. If you do the bjj training three times a week it means you burn 2100 to 3000 calories.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 12
Supplements 0
MMA 7
Lord_Of_Iron Nutrition / Health 2
35 and Older 1