Brachioradialis pain due to heavy DB chest workout?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you folks experience this when lifting that one DB up single handed to being a chest workout?
Had pain in my left brachioradialis region recently.(inner forearm where it meets the "crook" in the arm) I thought it was due to bent-over rows and so stopped for one month to see if that would help.-which it did a bit.

I use DBs for chest work and use both hands to lift one off the floor and then one hand to lift the other up(because the other hand is holding the first DB) Still have pain in my left arm which is the one I am using to pull up the last DB. I tried making a stool for the DBs with other DBs so that there is less travel but damn it still hurts and now has affected other chest exercises when using a barbell.

I took a full week off and went yesterday and felt better but only did barbell work no DBs.

I did not have this issue at DB weight in the 70lb and below only now that I have moved up to 80lb or do not know if it is a repetitive motion issue with weight being the tipping factor.

Anyone recommend good regarding rehab for this area?

Pardon the rant. Because I had the first instance ever of the roll of shame.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Look for triggerpoints in the forearm extensors, flexors and biceps. Also look for restrictions in pronation vs supination. This could give you an idea of what muscle is over worked and possibly causing the elbow pain.

Likely a muscle isn't firing correctly - an example of personal experience: Lack of pronation, constant tightness of Extensor carpi radialis brevis. After about 6 months I finally figured out that the extensor carpi ulnaris and extensor carpi digitorum (extensors of wrist in ring/pinky finger region) weren't active at ALL, making the other extensors work major overtime, resulting in chronic inflammation. Activating these made the pain go away the day after, but I am still doing strengthening work to get them up to par with the rest of the extensors.

Could also be an inhibited supinator muscle, making the biceps work overtime to supinate the wrist or vice versa. Are many possibilities.

You could look into neurokinetic therapy and find a practitioner near you for help.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Had this a while back and had to take a lot of time off.

Watch your form, probably a breakdown somewhere along the way.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks everyone. I took another week of any upper body work and then returned to CST and BB yesterday and today and feel only a slight twinge in the area. No DB press yesterday and no bent over row today. I guess I may know for sure tomorrow the situation if any DOMS sets in the area.

I did find some rehab exercises to do as well=stretching mostly and have been using those.

I should mention I do cardio boot camp stuff which involves fast paced burpees and kettle bell swings. But I have been doing that for over a year without known issue.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Time off sucks .... but its better than pushing it and ending up having to take a whole lot more time off :(
Currently on day 10 of 2 weeks off for a similar issue .... left arm and shoulder issue. Going crazy not being able to hit the gym but I know its necessary if I wanna avoid surgery and a more lengthy lay-off from the gym. Been doing mild cardio, lower body and ab work but still not getting the iron fix I need.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well today the region is almost entirely pain free and guess what bench press went up by 20lbs! I entirely stopped DB presses and focused on barbell work.-flat, incline, overhead, etc. No pain when I started but slight twinge by the end of a very long workout.

Things are looking up. I should add that I added heat treatment to the area recently and that really helped.

MonsterJuice

MonsterJuice

Awards
Maybe this will help if you wanna go back to DB. I always put my DBs on something so I can grab them both at the same time then walk a few feet to the bench and sit down. Works for me so I don't have to bend over and pick them up. Exspecially when I'm up in the heavier wait.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have learned my lesson and will eventually work back to DBs once pain or discomfort is entirely gone. No more hoisting a DB like a mug of beer.

MonsterJuice

MonsterJuice

Awards
I have learned my lesson and will eventually work back to DBs once pain or discomfort is entirely gone. No more hoisting a DB like a mug of beer.
Haha yea that's probably a good idea! I've been in your position before. I have a bad shoulder from wrestling in highschool so I have to be careful sometimes! Hope you get back to the DBs sometime brother.

Quest

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get them on both! Glad you feel better.

What I completely do not understand is how some guys do crazy volume on side lateral raises. Reading some of the logs here..
But who knows if its a real log or a supplement SID sale thead?

Must have not hurt themselves yet and not be able to train, my **** hurt just reading it.
50 sets of db side raises, = e room for me hehe.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did DB chest press and overhead press for the first time in months! No pain. Started low and worked up gradually. Very happy. Pain all gone. I pick the DBs up ala Deadlift and then rest them on my knees as I sit down on the bench. Did not try previous best weight. Discretion and all that...