BPS: COMBUSTIONing my way through post surgery weight loss

He's right - I didn't mean cut your losses, I meant call a wait you truly believe you can conquer if you're willing to grind it out & promise yourself I CAN, I WILL! while you do it. If you can tell by your training that that number is 390, don't try 405 - and don't take 385. Load up 390 & give it hell.

Well, I feel good about 375, and I'll try 405. Lol

I know what y'all both are saying. I just want to toss some weight. I'm ok with failing too. If you aren't failing, you aren't trying 110%.
 
Well, I feel good about 375, and I'll try 405. Lol

I know what y'all both are saying. I just want to toss some weight. I'm ok with failing too. If you aren't failing, you aren't trying 110%.

Then we better see 405 ;)


I'm not into actual powerlifting so I don't know what they would say. But when I am trying to max or come close, for the first few sets I will only rest around a minute. As I get into my heavier sets I'll rest 2-3 mins. Enough to recover some and mentally prepare for the next set, but not long enough I start to cool down.
 
ATP production will recover 95% in 4.5 min, & cap out at 98% after 8 min of rest. 100% takes hours & hours (duh, captain obvious here). But for this reason (and based on my own results) I'll rest 4-5 full minutes before a true 1RM attempt in the gym. I take 60-90 sec rests until I'm at least using 315. I want to get hot as possible until I take my long rest so that I'm warm as possible after the 5 min to avoid injury during the big lift. I'll also use very motivating music, but I won't turn it up loud til about a minute out, if that - you need to be really present for the lift, but getting amped up too soon is just going to wear you out.

Broscience. Trust me bro. I'm not a doctor ;)
 
Broscience. Trust me bro. I'm not a doctor ;)

...and that's how it will be done. 60s to 275, 90 to 315, 4-5m for the rest.

500 by October....

Mine is because I crushed my big toe with a 35, sad but true. Lol.

First ever broken bone too!

Ouch. Hey, the story could've been a lot worse.
 
I feel rested this morning, surprisingly. I was up every hour, almost wide awake, and have a shortness of breath feeling. I haven't felt this way since I used to smoke cigarettes. I have no idea what could've caused it.

Back and abs today, and roughly 2,000 cals. I'll probably stay way low until Thursday, then refeed right before my squat attempt. Food will be posted later.
 
....my lats are more sore than my chest is, from chest day.
 
I'm still having shortness of breath, and I had a couple of rough coughs in the gym. My strength was there but my stamina was not, so I had to go lighter on rows to keep my breathing consistent.

Hopefully I'm not getting sick. Fortunately, I only have arms left for week 9's exercises. If I need a couple days rest I have them saved up.
 
Barbell Bent One Arm Row 95

Set 1 : 25x10
Set 2 : 50x10
Set 3 : 75x8
Set 4 : 60x10
Set 5 : 65x10
Set 6 : 60x10

(Did 100x8 last week)

Meadows Row 112.5

Set 1 : 60x15
Set 2 : 75x15
Set 3 : 60x15

-these felt easy on my lats, but my breathing prevented me from going any heavier.

T Bar Lying Row 153.33

Set 1 : 90x10
Set 2 : 115x10 PR?
Set 3 : 115x10

-these were super hard on the lungs. Te weight pulling your chest into the pad had me gasping. I feel like with better breathing I could've rowed 3 plates.

Dumbbell Bent Arm Pullover 93.33

Set 1 : 70x10
Set 2 : 60x10
Set 3 : 60x10

Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug 86.67
-3s squeeze at top. I really focused on squeezing the back-traps as opposed to just the top traps.

Set 1 : 65x10
Set 2 : 65x10
Set 3 : 65x10

Super Set:

Hyperextensions - Back Extensions 4.5

Set 1 : 3x15
Set 2 : 3x13

Seated Calf Raise 307.5
-2 Drop sets

1:
Set 1 : 205x15
Set 2 : 180x10
Set 3 : 135x8
Set 4 : 90x10
Set 5 : 45x10

2:
Set 6 : 180x14
Set 7 : 135x7
Set 8 : 90x10

Notes:

It's too bad I didn't feel better. I really felt strong, but I just could not catch my breath. I set my timer for 60s rests, but ended up needing an additional 10 to 15 seconds between sets.
 
Are allergies causing the shortness of breath? Humidity? One arm rows are looking great. Congrats on the TBar PR. I love those!
 
Are allergies causing the shortness of breath? Humidity? One arm rows are looking great. Congrats on the TBar PR. I love those!

My wife said she thinks it's allergy related too because of all the yard work I did this weekend. I don't really know...

Thanks Mark!
 
I hate you're not feeling well! I hope it's just allergies and clears up throughout the day! You really pushed out an awesome workout despite it all!!
 
Hope you feel better!

That is a helluva workout for not feeling well, way to go!


I agree man. It sucks being in the gym and not feeling good!
Good job pushing through!!
 
Hope you feel better bro. One thing to note: you said your lats were quite sore from that workout, yet you went lighter than before. I bet using a lighter wait the mind / muscle connection was dialed right in and your lats just got abused! Great work.
 
Great PR! Damn I wasn't on AM this weekend and you have like 5 pages to catch up on, mr. Popular:)

I hate you're not feeling well! I hope it's just allergies and clears up throughout the day! You really pushed out an awesome workout despite it all!!

Hope you feel better!

That is a helluva workout for not feeling well, way to go!

I agree man. It sucks being in the gym and not feeling good!
Good job pushing through!!

Hope you feel better bro. One thing to note: you said your lats were quite sore from that workout, yet you went lighter than before. I bet using a lighter wait the mind / muscle connection was dialed right in and your lats just got abused! Great work.

Thanks everyone!

I never felt 100% today, but I think my lung capacity started improving around noon. Stayed with normal dosing on Combustion and DCP 2.0 despite feeling bad. Unfortunately, I'm behind on foods. I forced my meats down at least.

I'd love to keep my arm workout tomorrow, but I'm going to keep an open mind for a rest day if I don't feel better.
 
Still feeling funny, but, I went ahead and loaded the workouts for week 10 into my phone/JeFit, and I'm excited to lift tomorrow. Arms tomorrow, shoulders/chest Wednesday, maybe a repeat back on Thursday?, then 415x1 on squats Friday.
 
Still feeling funny, but, I went ahead and loaded the workouts for week 10 into my phone/JeFit, and I'm excited to lift tomorrow. Arms tomorrow, shoulders/chest Wednesday, maybe a repeat back on Thursday?, then 415x1 on squats Friday.

Just be careful! Can't have you hurting yourself! :)
 
Lol that squat attempt just keeps going up...

Wait til you're feeling well if you're not - you can still have a great (prob better) leg workout not maxing out. Do it for real if you want for real results. Feeling sick & being underfed is not part of peaking lol

Congrats on the big Tbar PR
 
Still felt off, so I took today off as a grow day.

Lol that squat attempt just keeps going up...

Trying for some mental manipulation...
 
Still felt off, so I took today off as a grow day. Trying for some mental manipulation...
"I command you to grow" Enjoy the day off. Lol
 
Wise decision. Hit it tomorrow, nice and healthy.

I agree. I'm feeling much better already.

That's cause you WILL get it ;)

I'm getting excited...

I'll probably try Thursday. Legs are feeling better already. Tomorrow night I'll slap in some extra carbs, and double my protein shake Thursday morning with ground oats. I'll get 'er.
 
Woohoo! Sounds like a determined man!! Maybe you just needed the rest!!
 
60s rests on Tricep Ex's

Triceps Rope Pushdown 183.33

Warmup-
Set 1 : 60x15
Set 2 : 80x15
Work-
Set 3 : 110x20
Set 4 : 120x13
Set 5 : 110x12
Set 6 : 110x10
Set 7 : 110x8

Dip Machine 228
-no lockout, 3s neg

Set 1 : 150x8
Set 2 : 170x8
Set 3 : 180x8


Dumbbell Tricep Kickback 50.67
-Pronated

Set 1 : 35x8
Set 2 : 40x8*
Set 3 : 35x8

--I think 40x8 is a PR for Pronated kickbacks. I log these under the same as regular kickbacks, so I dunno.

30s rests on all bicep exercises:

Dumbbell Bicep Curl 50.67

Set 1 : 40x8
Set 2 : 35x8
Set 3 : 30x8

EZ Bar Curl 96
- 3-4s descent

Set 1 : 80x6
Set 2 : 70x5 drop
Set 3 : 60x1
Set 4 : 60x6

Dumbbell Hammer Curls 53.33
-1s flex

Warmup-
Set 1 : 20x5
Set 2 : 20x5

Set 3 : 40x10
Set 4 : 30x6 drop
Set 5 : 25x4
Set 6 : 25x7 drop
Set 7 : 20x3

Reverse Preacher EZ Bar Curls 63.33
-1s flex

Set 1 : 50x8
Set 2 : 50x7
Set 3 : 30x8


Leaning Calf Raises (pad at lower back). 840
-SS w/ Guillotine curls

Set 1 : 400x33
Set 2 : 400x25


Guillotine Curls 169
-2 drop sets-
1:
Set 1 : 130x9
Set 2 : 100x5
Set 3 : 80x9
Set 4 : 60x9
2:
Set 5 : 100x15
Set 6 : 80x8
Set 7 : 60x7 (2-3s flexes)
Set 8 : 50x3

Cable Rope High Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension 184
-1 drop set-

Set 1 : 120x16
Set 2 : 100x6
Set 3 : 80x4
Set 4 : 60x8
Set 5 : 50x8
 
Strong numbers and volume! Niiice!
 
Nice job! Those are heavy pronated kickbacks my friend... The reverse preacher is a tough one isn't it. I find it awkward.
 
Wow can you move your arms?! ;) Great job! I like the look of those guillotine curls!!
 
Damn man. I'm not sure if I am anxious to get to this part of the program, or scared?? :censored:
 
Strong numbers and volume! Niiice!

Thanks Mark!

Nice job! Those are heavy pronated kickbacks my friend... The reverse preacher is a tough one isn't it. I find it awkward.

Thanks Simon! I agree, they were awkward. I did inside/outside/inside grip, and the inside grip burned so bad. Made then very hard.

Great arms day man!

Thanks bro!

Wow can you move your arms?! ;) Great job! I like the look of those guillotine curls!!

I love guillotine curls! I'm surprised I had strength left over for them after the 30s rest on everything else.

Damn man. I'm not sure if I am anxious to get to this part of the program, or scared?? :censored:

I added in the calves and the drop sets. Today's exercises was really fast and I did not want to leave the gym yet.
 
Tomorrow is the squat day, I hope. We'll see if my a** is still sore (it was tight the morning when I did some bar only pause squats just for the stretch).

Should be good tomorrow. If not I'll do some chest and shoulders.

Hot, hot day at work today. I mentioned it In JDG's log I believe, but every time as soon as I pop a combustion I get called on a DART and in stuck in the sun for a couple hours. Fortunately I was pre-warned this afternoon so I never took my afternoon dose. I had already drenched my under shirt though.
 
Whew! I bet that's always interesting with the combustion! Glad you got a heads up this time!! Lol
 
With your volume and combustion combined are you noticing any leaning out?

Oh yes, even though my diet has not been consistent. My weekend diet has seemed to have slipped a lot because of summer being here (that's my excuse).
 
I am in my 72° house, folding laundry, and....

..sweating. Lol

#Combustion


Going to break 400 this morning!
 
Workout Logs
Exercise Name1RMLifting Logs

Barbell Speed Squat 60

Set 1 : 45x10, x5

Barbell Squat 247.5
-60s rests

Set 1 : 135x3
Set 2 : 225x3

Barbell Squat 315
-90s rests

Set 1 : 275x1
Set 2 : 315x1

Barbell Squat 375
-5m rests

Set 1 : 345x1
Set 2 : 375x0 (didn't hit parralel by 2-3")
Set 3 : 315x2

Seated Calf Raise 341.67
-1 drop set

Set 1 : 205x20 PR!
Set 2 : 180x10
Set 3 : 135x12
Set 4 : 90x12
Set 5 : 45x20

Lying Leg Curls 108.33

Set 1 : 50x10 before squats
Set 2 : 65x20 after squats

SAD FACE!!!!
 
That's alright! Still a killer leg workout and you're getting stronger every week!!!!
 
That's alright! Still a killer leg workout and you're getting stronger every week!!!!

Thanks Kat! Hopefully I can get in my normal routine Sunday...
 
Gonna take tomorrow off?

I doubt it. I meant for legs Sunday. I try and get in my workouts in weekends if I can because I have more time. Because we have people coming over today most of my normal weekend chores are done already.

I hope the gym is less busy tomorrow. I had the wait 20m to get a squat rack. Pssed me off.
 
I doubt it. I meant for legs Sunday. I try and get in my workouts in weekends if I can because I have more time. Because we have people coming over today most of my normal weekend chores are done already. I hope the gym is less busy tomorrow. I had the wait 20m to get a squat rack. Pssed me off.

Oh wow! That soon for legs again?! You're a beast! Mine are hurting so bad today- I surely couldn't do them again tomorrow! Lol
That's great that you got ahead on weekend chores! Always love that! Now you can enjoy your friends/family! ...oh that is quite frustrating!!!
 
Back
Top