Bovine colostrum

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking for some feedback on this. Anyone used it before, and if so, what were the effects? I ordered some based on some reading, but like everything else, seems to be mixed results. Trying to find something that might help with my digestive issues. Glutamine seemed to work for a while, but not so much lately. It’s a real drag not being able to eat and drink what I want without the disgusting consequences 🤮. My GI tract used to be bulletproof. No longer seems to be the case.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
What type of bovine colostrum are you talking about? A commercially available supplement, like a pill, or actual raw bovine colostrum?

I've done both, and prefer the raw variety if you can get it from a good source.

I had some GI issues after a nasty infection and long-term antibiotic use. I used raw bovine colostrum, about a cup a day to help improve my gut health. It took about 8 weeks of drinking the stuff, but it helped. The raw kind is very good, it's about 50% fat, so the taste is very pleasant and creamy, like heavy whipping cream.

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This isn’t raw. I picked up the Symbiotic brand that contains 240 capsules. 4 caps is the recommended dose, but I may go higher depending on results. Apparently this is cold pasteurized (I think this is mandatory in order to sell it, as raw colostrum can contain E. coli). Overall it sounds interesting as a healthy super-food. I’ll post back once I’ve been taking it for awhile.

Brocodeout69

Brocodeout69

Awards
Never had good luck with pill form.

Raw colostrum can be purchased anywhere raw milk can be purchased, i.e. in 44 US states.

The problem with processed forms of bovine colostrum is the fractionation process.

Most manufacturers separate the fat and casein fractions. This reduces the colostrum to its serum which actually corresponds to whey proteins. The serum then gets cold filtered and offered as a liquid, or dried and sold in pill form.

Whole colostrum however consists of more than just the whey proteins. Also the physiologically important caseins and the whole spectrum of fatty acids belong to a bioactive colostrum. The fractionation removes important ingredients from the colostrum whereby synergistic interactions are lost.

Raw colostrum does go through a sterilization process that destroys most pathogens, like E. coli, listeria, etc

Regardless, good luck!

Last edited: