Bout how much zinc is too much/day?

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
Both DT formulas have a generous lil supply of zinc per dose...so if one is taking the several servings in a day, does one have to be careful when stacking in a multi, ZMA n the like?? Currently I am taking one Animal Pak/day (which provides 100% DV, liked to take 2 some days but cut back cuz of this concern), n I occasionally like to take a ZMA/nighttime formula to help with sleep n what not (in addition to my melatonin tab- i keep that around- also ive peeped Animal PM but lil pricey there). Thanks~

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Both DT formulas have a generous lil supply of zinc per dose...so if one is taking the several servings in a day, does one have to be careful when stacking in a multi, ZMA n the like?? Currently I am taking one Animal Pak/day (which provides 100% DV, liked to take 2 some days but cut back cuz of this concern), n I occasionally like to take a ZMA/nighttime formula to help with sleep n what not (in addition to my melatonin tab- i keep that around- also ive peeped Animal PM but lil pricey there). Thanks~
have a read http://njms2.umdnj.edu/hwmedweb/archives/zinc_archive.htm

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i have to wonder if sometimes these things are peripheral, not so much a directly caused b.

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
thx for the input n link. i will need to carefully monitor what i'm doing- i figure better to err on the side of caution

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
I think Animal Pak contains zinc oxide, and if it does its absorbed about 10x less than zinc mono-methione. So i wouldnt even worry about zinc from products that use zinc oxide. Everyone has a different daily zinc requirement, I get about 60mg a day but I rarely eat red meat which is where most people get their zinc.

Most bodybuilders need about 20mg to 50mg a day but it varies from person to person. Zinc is a water sol. mineral so you need to get it everyday.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I think Animal Pak contains zinc oxide, and if it does its absorbed about 10x less than zinc mono-methione. So i wouldnt even worry about zinc from products that use zinc oxide. Everyone has a different daily zinc requirement, I get about 60mg a day but I rarely eat red meat which is where most people get their zinc.

Most bodybuilders need about 20mg to 50mg a day but it varies from person to person. Zinc is a water sol. mineral so you need to get it everyday.
zinc oxide is watersoluble but to say zinc is watersoluble is misleading.
The user would need to check on the type of zinc being taken , then check whether that particular type needs to be consumed daily ie water soluble.

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
The user would need to check on the type of zinc being taken , then check whether that particular type needs to be consumed daily ie water soluble.
Well I didnt say zinc oxide is anything besides useless, the body doesnt absorb it well. Water soluble and fat soluble vitamins and minerals refer to how they are stored in the body. Ascorbic Acid is classified as "water soluble." Doesnt have to do with if you put it in water it will dissolve, it has to do with how long its stored in the body. Vit. and minerals classified as "water sol" means you need a certain amount daily. We were talking about a product that contains zinc oxide (animal pack), compared to the zinc in ZMA.

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards

Oh, ok. Yeah, I almost never eat red meat, save for rare occasions where i'm being polite or jus really feel like it. Eggs and dairy are the only animal products I consume on reg. basis, next being fish like wild salmon. Chances are- I don't get nearly the optimal amount via diet. Thanks for the info Chuck.

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
Thanks for the info/clarification, i'll of course look into that

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Well I didnt say zinc oxide is anything besides useless, the body doesnt absorb it well. Water soluble and fat soluble vitamins and minerals refer to how they are stored in the body. Ascorbic Acid is classified as "water soluble." Doesnt have to do with if you put it in water it will dissolve, it has to do with how long its stored in the body. Vit. and minerals classified as "water sol" means you need a certain amount daily. We were talking about a product that contains zinc oxide (animal pack), compared to the zinc in ZMA.[/QUOte

really id have never i guessed!

broons

Awards
  • Established
When consuming large amounts of zinc, one may want to consider supplementing with copper. A proper balance of zinc:copper is about 10:1.

Zinc and copper are so similar in their atomic structure that they can actually compete with one another, not only for absorption, but also for utilization in the body's biochemical pathways. When your zinc is too high relative to your copper intake, the excess zinc actually interferes with the activity of enzymes, which depend on copper for their biological function, by stepping in to copper's proper binding sites in the enzymes.When copper is not properly incorporated into these enzymes, they can't fulfill their biochemical duties

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
When consuming large amounts of zinc, one may want to consider supplementing with copper. A proper balance of zinc:copper is about 10:1.

Zinc and copper are so similar in their atomic structure that they can actually compete with one another, not only for absorption, but also for utilization in the body's biochemical pathways. When your zinc is too high relative to your copper intake, the excess zinc actually interferes with the activity of enzymes, which depend on copper for their biological function, by stepping in to copper's proper binding sites in the enzymes.When copper is not properly incorporated into these enzymes, they can't fulfill their biochemical duties
the following taken from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=53
bear in mind though you will get copper from your food. Excellent food sources of copper include calf's liver, crimini mushrooms, turnip greens and blackstrap molasses.

Copper is known to react with a variety of other nutrients, including iron, zinc, molybdenum, sulfur, selenium, and vitamin C. However, with respect to food, we haven't seen research evidence showing that other nutrients—including iron and zinc—interfere with absorption of copper. Similarly, while copper is known to interact with a variety of minerals once it has been absorbed up into the body, we have not seen research showing food-related problems in this regard. The situation is somewhat different, however, when it comes to dietary supplements that often provide minerals (or vitamins) in much higher doses than can be obtained from food. There's some evidence, although not conclusive, that zinc supplements, when taken at 50 milligrams or more on a daily basis over an extended period of time, can lower availability of copper. There's also some evidence (once again not conclusive) that high supplemental doses of vitamin C—in a range approaching 1,000 milligrams or more—may decrease copper availability. While not applicable to adults, there is also some evidence that in the formula feeding of infants, too much iron in a formula can lower absorption of copper from that formula.

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
I see that the Diesel Test products couple copper with the zinc

Chuck Diesel

Chuck Diesel

Are you Diesel?
Awards
  • Established
I see that the Diesel Test products couple copper with the zinc
yeah zinc displaces copper, so you gotta take them together. When u make supplements you gotta know what ur doing, or ur just like everyone else, just trying to list some stuff on a label.