any one know much about sciatica nerve problems?

inda11

inda11

Awards
I'm getting a shooting pain from lower back to hamstring after heavy pendlay rows

Raiph

Raiph

Awards
Just had treatment for a similar issue, mine occurred when running/rugby training, I've had a pretty comprehensive injury catalogue, and two serious shoulder reconstructions, which was the precipitate for my hip/back pain according to my physio. The explanation my physio gave me is this the tight muscles in my lower back (which are a result of muscular imbalance further up my back, but could be a stand alone problem in your case) are pinching the sciatic nerve which in turn causes spasms on the muscles over my sacroillaic joint (look it up on google images) which again pinches the nerve lower down. This gets worse with heavy or repetitive movement, which stands to reason. My problems are probably a lot more entrenched, a lot of years of semi-pro rugby and serious shoulder issues have made me an injury prone guy! But after a couple of months of treatment I'm starting to get better. One thing I found helped was sports massage and dry needling (a bit like acupuncture), so maybe they're worth a try. A simple exercise the physio gave me to do towards the beginning of my treatment was to sit on the edge of my bed, with the unaffected leg foot on the ground, and extend the affected leg out so it was straight, with my hands cupping my ham strings then lean (or hunch, as she described it, saying it was the only time she'd ask me to use poor posture) into the stretch while moving my foot back and forth as if doing a calf raise. I would do this for 3 sets of 1 min. It really showed me it was the nerve not muscular, as when I moved my neck into the stretch I felt the nerve twitch a little (or the resulting pain from it being moved at least). Hope this helps and isn't TMI!

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Just had treatment for a similar issue, mine occurred when running/rugby training, I've had a pretty comprehensive injury catalogue, and two serious shoulder reconstructions, which was the precipitate for my hip/back pain according to my physio. The explanation my physio gave me is this the tight muscles in my lower back (which are a result of muscular imbalance further up my back, but could be a stand alone problem in your case) are pinching the sciatic nerve which in turn causes spasms on the muscles over my sacroillaic joint (look it up on google images) which again pinches the nerve lower down. This gets worse with heavy or repetitive movement, which stands to reason. My problems are probably a lot more entrenched, a lot of years of semi-pro rugby and serious shoulder issues have made me an injury prone guy! But after a couple of months of treatment I'm starting to get better. One thing I found helped was sports massage and dry needling (a bit like acupuncture), so maybe they're worth a try. A simple exercise the physio gave me to do towards the beginning of my treatment was to sit on the edge of my bed, with the unaffected leg foot on the ground, and extend the affected leg out so it was straight, with my hands cupping my ham strings then lean (or hunch, as she described it, saying it was the only time she'd ask me to use poor posture) into the stretch while moving my foot back and forth as if doing a calf raise. I would do this for 3 sets of 1 min. It really showed me it was the nerve not muscular, as when I moved my neck into the stretch I felt the nerve twitch a little (or the resulting pain from it being moved at least). Hope this helps and isn't TMI!
I believe this is called nerve flossing.

miami2az2011

Awards
Hi, I need some advise. I accidentally hit the sciatic nerve while injecting wistrol in my butt (yeah I went too low). It happened almost 4 weeks ago. At the beginning I couldn't move my leg, and the pain was killing so I went to the ER and they gave me some pain killers. The leg is fine now but the pain and burning had concentrated on my foot. I cant even sleep at night because of the pain. I am also limping. I went to the neurologist and he gave me GABAPENTIN 300Mg and send me home. Obviously I don't think is nerve damage coz my leg is fine.

How long does it take for the pain and burning to go away? any recommendation on treatments? has anyone experimented the same? please help!

Here2Learn33

Awards
i had horrible pain from my sciatica and all i had to do was change shoes and it hasnt been back since. Are you wearing shocks or air max shoes?

miami2az2011

Awards
Sciatica

I am not sure. It says NIKE AIR so I'm assuming air ;( the pain is on my foot now, it hurts and burns ;( it has been a month and nothing seems to help. I pinched my nerve with an injection accidentally