Bodybuilding Trainer in NYC Recommendation

tm346

Awards
Hi AnabolicMinds --

I am a casual lifter looking to get much more hardcore about bodybuilding. Looking to make serious gains over the next few years. 35, male, slim/toned but underdeveloped. I live in downtown Manhattan. I wonder if anyone has any recommendations on a personal trainer focused on bodybuilding. Ideally looking for a trainer who has access to a private gym in ideally Lower Manhattan.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks.

tm346

Awards
Also just to clarify - not looking to compete in any way. Just want to get huge.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also just to clarify - not looking to compete in any way. Just want to get huge.
Your gonna have better luck on Facebook or maybe even looking through Instagram for a trainer that's hands on in a specific location.

Even if you type bodybuilding coaches in Manhattan NY into Google you will get some leads.

Look up there information, reviews, experience.

Your gonna wanna see 5+ years bodybuilding coaching experience, the more the better, along with good reviews and make sure the trainer has pictures of themselves. I'm not saying they need to look like Mr. Olympia. But they should have a transformation comparison of themselves and there clients. Don't just look for written reviews look for reviews from real people who show their before and afters.

While a general fitness 2 year transformation might look good, a 2 year transformation from a bodybuilding coach should be much more dramatic. A good bodybuilding coach will put 10lbs of real muscle tissue a year on there clients.

And there's a massive difference between someone gaining 10 lb and someone gaining 10 lb of actual muscle

tm346

Awards
Thanks for the insight, Smont. Agreed with everything you wrote there. I had a 15-20 lb of actual muscle goal in mind per year... is that a feasible goal or should I be aiming for 10?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks for the insight, Smont. Agreed with everything you wrote there. I had a 15-20 lb of actual muscle goal in mind per year... is that a feasible goal or should I be aiming for 10?
Not many ppl in history have added 20lbs of muscle per year outside there first cycle or 2. Most the biggest pro bodybuilders in the world with the best genetics, perfect diets and massive steroid doses only average about 10lbs a year of muscle.

The problem is the average person can't decipher the difference between muscle tissue and gaining body weight, water weight and stored glycogen in the muscles will appear to be muscle but it's not.

On an off-season blast someone might gain 40 or 50 lb without gaining any noticeable amount of body fat but it's not 50 lb of muscle they're lucky if it's 10 and that will hold true 99 out of 100 times and you'll see it as soon as they die it down for a competition where they're only four or five pounds heavier on stage even though they put on 50 pounds in their off season.

How much should you aim for each year, sky's the limit aim for 100 lb a year you're not going to get it though doesn't mean you shouldn't try to to harder you try the more you're going to get but 10 lb a year is an extremely successful year.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is why we see a bodybuilder weight in at say 250 on stage, at the end of their off season they might weigh 300 lb and still have abs but they did not gain 50 lb of muscle, next contest they'll step on stage they'll probably weigh 252 or 254. Just having the gear in your system lets you hold carbohydrates and minerals and water in your muscles and it makes them look complete like a balloon, round and full and it looks like muscle tissue and I got to be honest it's the look most of us are going for it that big balloon muscle look. But it's mostly cosmetic.

Go to the grocery store and look at 20lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast. That's 20 lbs of muscle, it's a rediculous amount. But even then, that is probably holding 5-8lbs of fluid in it, that's why if you go cook a 1 lb chicken breast you only end up with like three quarters of a pound after it's cooked.

Depending on your starting size it's not abnormal to go through a good off season for Mass gaining phase and put on 30 or 40 lb then you die it back down and you repeat the process by the end of the year 10 lb of actual muscle gained is a dramatic difference. I've taken pictures of myself over the years and every time I'm 10 lb heavier or 10 lb lighter but with the same body fat the difference is so significant it's insane

tm346

Awards
Appreciate the info and reality check! Setting my sights on 10lbs of quality muscle a year. Can't wait to kick things into gear with a serious coach/trainer.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Appreciate the info and reality check! Setting my sights on 10lbs of quality muscle a year. Can't wait to kick things into gear with a serious coach/trainer.
Good luck dude, it's not absurd to put on more then 10 that first year of getting serious, especially if you have never stuck to a legit bodybuilding style meal plan for a extended period of time. I have friends in NY ( not Manhattan) but still close enough that il ask about trainers in that area. Welcome to anabolics minds

tm346

Awards
Good luck dude, it's not absurd to put on more then 10 that first year of getting serious, especially if you have never stuck to a legit bodybuilding style meal plan for a extended period of time. I have friends in NY ( not Manhattan) but still close enough that il ask about trainers in that area. Welcome to anabolics minds
I'd appreciate it! Will post some progress updates in here when I am no longer skinny!

tm346

Awards
Get in the gym and eat first
I've been lifting and following some basic diet plans for around a year... ready or not, I think it's time I seek some expertise so I can start getting real gains.