Body Fat Problems (Correct Version 10/23/20)

Chefboyardrew

Chefboyardrew

Awards
I'm having Trouble Losing Body Fat. I'm also Losing Muscle While Gaining Strength. I've been dieting heavy and lost six pounds since the last time I went on the Inbody(Bodyfat, Muscle Mass, etc) Machine. I considered this an accomplishment. Six pounds of weight loss in one month. But the personal trainer who ran the test said that my diet is trash and that I need to work out more. I am at 33.6% body fat at the moment. He told me that I am holding my weight well though since I don't look like my body fat is that high.

I believe that I eat mostly healthy. I cook a large pot of vegetables about once a week. It will usually have multi- colored vegetables for micronutrients. It will usually have red, green, orange, yellow, and white vegetables in it(onions). I also cook them in olive oil and garlic. I also use MyFitnessPal and eat around 2100 calories a day. I aim to get to around 175 lbs. I'm using a calorie calculator. It says that you multiply your Goal Body Weight(175) times 12 and the amount you get (2100) is the amount of calories you should eat a day.

I also eat around 80 to 160 grams of protein a day. I am getting stronger in the gym. I am lifting more weight. But for some reason, I lost 2.4 grams of skeletal muscle mass. Any Ideas?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
what is your current weight?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I currently weigh 210.6 lbs.
my best advice is slow and easy, don't be in a rush to get to 175. around 12 years ago when i 1st joined this forum i weighed a solid 265 at around 15% bf. my joints couldn't hold up to the heavy workouts required to maintain muscle tone at that weight as i got older. it took me around 4 years to get to 180, and now at 62 i have good muscle tone and stay very lean at between 175-190.

if you get in too big of a hurry and rush things, your chances of ending up with loose and hanging skin are multiplied.

good luck to you!!!

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
my best advice is slow and easy, don't be in a rush to get to 175. around 12 years ago when i 1st joined this forum i weighed a solid 265 at around 15% bf. my joints couldn't hold up to the heavy workouts required to maintain muscle tone at that weight as i got older. it took me around 4 years to get to 180, and now at 62 i have good muscle tone and stay very lean at between 175-190.

if you get in too big of a hurry and rush things, your chances of ending up with loose and hanging skin are multiplied.

good luck to you!!!
hows your diet?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hows your diet?
right now it's kinda loose. i need to tighten it up since fall/winter is here...i work outdoors and burn a ton of cals in warm months here in indiana. i also run 3-7 miles 5 times a week along with lifting 3 times weekly. i watch things pretty closely and will make adjustments to diet as needed, but i can get away with lots of cheat foods during summer months and still maintain---at 62 im not looking to compete just keep good muscle tone and be as healthy as possible.

Chefboyardrew

Chefboyardrew

Awards
hows your diet?
I have a couple links below. One shows the in-body machine results. The other one shows a pot of vegetables that are usually consumed about once a week. I also eat 80 to 160 grams of protein a day on average. I try to eat mostly whole foods(not the store). I admit, I do eat McDonald's and gas station sandwiches sometimes. But I always fit them into my macros. I try to get a large amount of vegetables(2 servings a few timesa week), protein, and healthy carbs into my diet.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm having Trouble Losing Body Fat. I'm also Losing Muscle While Gaining Strength. I've been dieting heavy and lost six pounds since the last time I went on the Inbody(Bodyfat, Muscle Mass, etc) Machine. I considered this an accomplishment. Six pounds of weight loss in one month.
Congrats! That is an accomplishment, don't feel discouraged.

But the personal trainer who ran the test said that my diet is trash and that I need to work out more.
I can't speak perfectly on this without all the info, but he sounds rude and just pushing sessions. It "may" be true and maybe he wasn't as blunt, but there is a proper way to address this with clients/potential clients (pet peeve of how many trainers act).

I also eat around 80 to 160 grams of protein a day. I am getting stronger in the gym. I am lifting more weight. But for some reason, I lost 2.4 grams of skeletal muscle mass. Any Ideas?
If you are getting stronger and feeling better while losing weight I wouldn't be super worried about muscle loss.

That said I would aim to solidify the protein more. 80-160 is a very wide range, shoot to get that number more consistent, especially if worried about muscle loss.

In general body comp aren't super accurate (they can be useful tho!) so don't get too discouraged with any specific reading. They are very prone to swings due to water and muscle is typically measured with the water content on these devices so losses of water can show up as losses in lean body mass/muscle.

Keep doing what you are doing, but if worried about muscle loss I'd simply just make sure to get closer to your protein intake goals daily and make sure you are hitting the weights enough, but your diet isn't trash (especially if you are losing weight) and you sound like you are on the right path.

chavezn155

chavezn155

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Seems like you’re doing okay. Just be careful with the oil and make sure you track as exact as possible. If your body fat is 33% that’s honestly pretty high so you do have a good amount of fat to lose. Your big goal for bodyfat should be to get to around 15% not just for looks but also for your health. Since your bodyfat is high you’ll need less calories than you’re eating because you’re supposed to feed your lean body mass not your overall weight. Start with 1,800 calories and if you’re not losing 2 or more pounds a week lower your calories by 100 until you start losing weight. Once your weight plateaus for a few weeks with your calories you can either drop the calories by another 100 or increase your cardio. You can lose a good amount of weight fast if your calories are on point, your cardio is on point and if your weight training is on point. 1,800 calories, cardio 5-6 days a week aiming to keep your heart rate between 125-145 for 30 minutes and lift weights 3-4 times a week trying to hit most of your major muscle groups each workout so you can really speed up your metabolism. The weights part should only take 20-30 minutes each workout.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Only accurate way to measure body fat is to be dead and cut it off and weigh it. Lol if your getting stronger you are not losing muscle. It’s water and glycogen. If the weight stops going down lower calories or increase cardio. Just stay with it and you will get there.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm having Trouble Losing Body Fat. I'm also Losing Muscle While Gaining Strength. I've been dieting heavy and lost six pounds since the last time I went on the Inbody(Bodyfat, Muscle Mass, etc) Machine. I considered this an accomplishment. Six pounds of weight loss in one month. But the personal trainer who ran the test said that my diet is trash and that I need to work out more. I am at 33.6% body fat at the moment. He told me that I am holding my weight well though since I don't look like my body fat is that high.

I believe that I eat mostly healthy. I cook a large pot of vegetables about once a week. It will usually have multi- colored vegetables for micronutrients. It will usually have red, green, orange, yellow, and white vegetables in it(onions). I also cook them in olive oil and garlic. I also use MyFitnessPal and eat around 2100 calories a day. I aim to get to around 175 lbs. I'm using a calorie calculator. It says that you multiply your Goal Body Weight(175) times 12 and the amount you get (2100) is the amount of calories you should eat a day.

Up your protein intake. At minimum you want a gram per pound of body weight you want to be. So you needs to be eating at least 175 grams of protein per day. 80 grams is about what a 12 year old should it.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

good luck to you!!!
Nice advice and should try it.

Chefboyardrew

Chefboyardrew

Awards

good luck to you!!!
Thanks. I find that I can gain weight very quickly but it takes a while to lose it. I'll just be patient. I might take me a year or year-and-a-half to get down to 175.

Chefboyardrew

Chefboyardrew

Awards
Thanks. I find that I can gain weight very quickly but it takes a while to lose it. I'll just be patient. I might take me a year or year-and-a-half to get down to 175.
It might take a year to a year and a half*

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my attitude is to look at it as a marathon rather than a sprint...also it's like doing a cycle, you might make make gains on a heavy, harsh cycle but lose those gains during/after pct-lighter cycles with less harsh compounds have been much easier for me to maintain gains over the long term.

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my attitude is to look at it as a marathon rather than a sprint...also it's like doing a cycle, you might make make gains on a heavy, harsh cycle but lose those gains during/after pct-lighter cycles with less harsh compounds have been much easier for me to maintain gains over the long term.
That's amazing. Got exciting info. Thanks a lot.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That's amazing. Got exciting info. Thanks a lot.
used to do the harsher stuff like superdrol back when ph's were legal, did the yoyo thing for many years-great gains only to loose them after pct...seriously, the less harsh stuff like andro's don't give close to the gains of the harsher stuff, but it is truly easier to maintain those gains on anro cycles---at least this has been my experience over the last 15 years or so.