Body Fat Measuring

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've been tracking my bf% using my digital scale at home over the past few weeks, but noticed a trend that each time my weight would go up a few lbs my bf% would go up by a relatively similar amount. I understand that water weight can throw off certain bf% measuring methods (such as bioimpedance) but this morning I decided to test the scale out and see how accurate the numbers really could be.

So, first I weighed myself as I usually do. 184lbs, 17.5% bf. Then I weighed myself again, this time pulling down on a nearby shelf to increase my weight by 30 lbs. My bf% shot up by about 5%. Weighed myself a third time, pushing up on the shelf to lose 40 lbs and my bf% dropped by 8%. Seems pretty clear to me that the scale is just taking my height and weight and guessing at my bf%.

So, now that I know that I can't rely on this scale for accurate bf% readings, I was wondering what methods you all typically use to calculate bf% and just how much stock do you put into the numbers you get? Obviously I'd love a quick and convenient method of measuring bf% each day to track it in my log, but I figure quick and convenient methods are probably less likely to be very accurate.

Anyways, just looking for some suggestions. It's been a long, long time since I did any pinch tests (not since I was a PT in the early 2000's) but I'm not against relearning that skill if that's the best recommendation. Thanks!

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There is absolutely 0 method that is correct except very knowledgeable coaches/BBing that basically have laser eyes accuracy. Even dexa scan which is basically scanning your whole body (most precise method) won’t be 100% accurate. For exemple i had a dexa scan last week and was 7.4%. Yesterday by the end of my prep I did another scan and was 9% which is absolutely silly because I’m so peeled you can almost see my fucking organs. You can use those Tools to measure progression weeks after weeks but absolutely nothing is 100% precise. The scale you’re using is one of the silliest method though. Absolutely useless. It says you’re 17% well you know what you could be 12% or you could be 26% and it wouldn’t know

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks @Mathb33

I get that there's no absolutely-certain way to precisely measure bf%, but as you said, the scale I'm using is a joke and it's a waste of my time to even enter the values it gives me into my log. Since I don't train at a gym (I do my workouts at home) and don't have a fitness coach or trainer, I'm just looking for better options that will give me a better idea of what my bf% is. I'm happy to track it daily and then take the average each week if that will give me a better overall estimate; but really I'm just looking for advice on what method everyone's using to track/measure their own, and hoping I can find something that's in the budget for me and worth my time to do (and if the method is quick and convenient to do each day, that's definitely a bonus).

Accuracy is important and I know nothing will be perfect, but I gotta figure just about any other method will be better than what I've been doing until now.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
To my knowledge the pinch measurment can be pretty accurate, but it has to be done by an experienced practicer. Dexa scan should be next best thing. I use Inbody measurement some times, but I don't put much value on the actual level of reading, just where it's heading. I allways use the same Inbody model and have the measurement on same time of day fasted in the morning to minimize variables. But I see it like a scale, doesn't really matter what the value is, but is it bigger/smaller, than last time. Those home scales that offer some BF% measurements are all crap as far as I know. Now that I saw this, I think my scale has BF% and some other features too. Never even entered my age and height to it. Have to see what it says some day just for kicks, lol.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
doesn't really matter what the value is, but is it bigger/smaller, than last time
I like this. That's really what I use my scale for. It's just a compass to tell you if you're going in the right direction or not.