Blood flow as it relates to injury/surgery recovery

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Please correct if wrong, and point in the right direction. From what Ive read, cartilage is slow to repair due to a lack of blood flow in general, as compared to muscle repair. I have just had surgery to repair a SLAP tear, and am looking for additional things I can do to help recovery. For instance, is cold or heat better to help inprove blood flow to the area, and aid recovery? Im told Super Cissus is a big help, but how much? Is it a megadose above and beyond what is recommeded by USP? If you think Im in the wrong forum please direct me to the right one - there is no "Injury" forum, which is hard to believe. Maybe body builders never get injured....

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
The thing about Cissus that worries me when it comes to recovery is that while back there were claims that it doesn't increase recovery time as much as it masks the pain. Kind of similar to pain killers. I remember reading people claiming that the pain came back when they discontinued its use. I honestly did not keep track of the subject, but it is something I would look into if I am recovering from surgery otherwise it can lead to false feeling of recovery and pushing myself into more damage.

pcn

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Excellent point, especially since I havent felt the need for pain killers much after the surgery. And that does concern me, since the doctor prescribed 60 Percosets (325mg) for my surgery, and my wife only got like 12 after her hysterectomy... That kind of implied to me that he expected some pain on my part.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Please correct if wrong, and point in the right direction. From what Ive read, cartilage is slow to repair due to a lack of blood flow in general, as compared to muscle repair. I have just had surgery to repair a SLAP tear, and am looking for additional things I can do to help recovery. For instance, is cold or heat better to help inprove blood flow to the area, and aid recovery? Im told Super Cissus is a big help, but how much? Is it a megadose above and beyond what is recommeded by USP? If you think Im in the wrong forum please direct me to the right one - there is no "Injury" forum, which is hard to believe. Maybe body builders never get injured....
i had a slap repair along w infra and supra tears this past april. time and patience my friend, that's what gonna help recovery. it's a slow process. i had a round of pt for about a month, then started slooowly doing internal/external rotation. i didn't get turned loose by the surgeon to start real training for 5 months.

my shoulder feels better now than it has in years.

time and patience...

fyi, i'm 99% sure i've got another slap on the opposite arm. gonna get it fixed prolly next summer