Unanswered Blood donations on trt different procedures?

Walrusieo

Walrusieo

Awards
So I went to go donate blood the first time I donated whole blood . Now they are telling me there is procedure for platelets and one for red blood cells . The red blood cell one takes out 2 units of blood instead of the whole blood which only takes 1 unit . Would it be best to donate red blood cells instead of whole units since they take out 2 units when u donate red blood cells vs whole blood is 1 unit ? They also told me I have a high platelet count will that do any harm or they just trying to take my platelets ?

m1k3_d0z4

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just donated platelets yesterday, there is no harm in doing so.

It’s basically the same as a whole blood donation, but it’s a longer process. The blood is drawn from your body and then is cycled threw a machine, where the platelets are separated and filter into a separate bag (it appears yellow in color). The blood is then spun and filtered back into you with a mix of anticoagulants to replace what was taken.

It is a lengthy process, depending on how high of a count you have, anywhere from 1-2 hours. The platelets have a short shelf life and are what is used for cancer patients needing transfusions and are used in ER situations, since platelets are what causes blood clotting.

If you’re just going to donate because you’re on cycle, just do a standard whole blood donation and you’ll be good. If for moral reasons and you have time, by all means do platelets, they are almost always in short supply and high in demand.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The double-red donation is a piece of cake and is what I do each donation. It doubles the time between donations, and takes the equivalent of two donations worth of red cells in one donation (it separates RBC from plasma, and puts the plasma back into your body).

It drops hemoglobin and hematocrit significantly.

Walrusieo

Walrusieo

Awards
The double-red donation is a piece of cake and is what I do each donation. It doubles the time between donations, and takes the equivalent of two donations worth of red cells in one donation (it separates RBC from plasma, and puts the plasma back into your body).

Yea I was planning on doing that next week since it takes out 2 units .

Walrusieo

Walrusieo

Awards

Yea I was planning on doing that next week since it takes out 2 units .

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Edit: Deleted. Potentially dangerous advice, i am in a weird mood this evening.

Last edited: