Bicep Tenodesis and SLAP Tear Recovery

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I haven't been on here for years a lot has change. This is my 2nd shoulder surgery in 2 years. The first addressed pain in the front of my shoulder with a subacromial decompression and a little repair to my rotator cuff and labrum but the doctor wasn't aggressive enough and didn't realize I had multiple problems. During rehab I injured it again and had a lot more pain in the rear of my shoulder.

The 2nd surgery which I had today was much more aggressive as the doctor went in and fixed anything that looked like it would be causing me pain. On the sheet he lists bicep tenodesis, SLAP Tear, RC tear, and subacromial decompression. I was hoping he wouldn't have to do the tenodesis but I figured as much because the area has been inflamed for so long. I saw the SLAP Tear on the MRI even though he played it down before the surgery aferwards he told my wife he had to address it.

My question is for those who have had these surgeries before and what were the results after physical therapy? Will I be 100% again or close to it? Due to my shoulder problems and plantar faciitis I haven't been able to continuously workout for years so I don't even know where I'm at but I'm excited to get back to lifting early next year. Thanks in advance for your replies

Mystere3

Awards
I'm not a big fan of tenodesis. I have biceps tendinosis that bothers me occasionally and a partial cuff and labral tear that I'm just living with. If i ever end up having surgery I'd just get a tendon release rather than tenodesis.

As far as recovery goes, it'll def be better once you're done with rehab but it'll be a long road back.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Yea we didn't discuss what he would do if he found something wrong with my bicep and I didn't know about the tendon release but he told my wife I did have some wear on the bicep so I have to trust he made the right decision. So will my bicep be able to grow like normal when I start working out again? I've lost quite a few inches off my arms over the past few years and was looking forward to gaining it all back.

Mystere3

Awards
Depends on how the pain is; tenodesis is typically done in an older, less active population. Idk how it'd work going forward. The long head of the biceps tendon is only responsible for 15% of strength from the bicep though.