Unanswered Beta blockers

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How many if you guys use beta blockers to manage bp? I've been fighting the worst ED ever for several months and been going crazy over it. MONTHS without being able to resolve. Last night I came across a ncbi study of metoprolol and ed...the exact drug I was prescribed after the first of the year. I stopped administration immediately - I'm really hoping this is the problem, but really curious if qany of you guys have experience with these drugs?

elo76

elo76

Awards
  • Established
When I was at 50mg twice a day with the regular version I experienced ED. I am now down to 50mg of the SuccER version and its alot better. When I was using the regular version it didnt matter what dose it was...it caused ED and also hairloss. Doc said that it was common.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When I was at 50mg twice a day with the regular version I experienced ED. I am now down to 50mg of the SuccER version and its alot better. When I was using the regular version it didnt matter what dose it was...it caused ED and also hairloss. Doc said that it was common.
Appreciate the response brother...I'm on the succ version but also 50mg twice daily. Man I'll be ticked if it was this the whole time....but freaking pumped at the same time now that I finally figured it out. That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Look into Bystolic(nebivolol) it is a vasodilator through nitric oxide and doesn’t suppress cardiac output as much as the others. I had a doc tell me that even females liked it for their sexual health due to increased blood flow to clitoris

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look into Bystolic(nebivolol) it is a vasodilator through nitric oxide and doesn’t suppress cardiac output as much as the others. I had a doc tell me that even females liked it for their sexual health due to increased blood flow to clitoris
I'll definately ask the doc about that. Just stopped taking the metoprolol today ... hoping it clears out pretty fast so I know for sure that's the culprit, the timing lines up though. So I will need something to replace it....a little disappointed the doc made it sound like an inconsequential drug. Could have saved me a lot of stress the last several months that's for sure

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I only post this in case anyone else is looking at these drugs. I've felt like garbage for months and after looking at the fda's list of common side effects....all my crap can be explained from this. I wonder if docs are even aware? Depression, fatigue, low blood sugar, ED...those are the main for me but the list goes on. I'm wondering if this is where my insomnia is coming from too. Crazy stuff....I feel like such a fool. I dont trust these drugs ever but I was so desperate that I just jumped on what they told me to take. Lesson learned, again.

jtmartin18

jtmartin18

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I used to take propranolol for BP which is a beta blocker and to be honest I never had any issues with ED. I have since switched to losartan and I find that I like it better and it seems to have less side effects. The great thing about blood pressure meds is that there are so many different kinds that act in different ways... ACE inhibitors like Lisinopril, calcium channel blockers like Amlodipine, ARBs like Losartan, etc. I would talk to your doctor about trying something that isn’t a beta blocker

Edit: Losartan also is sometimes used to treat LVH and I believe it can potentially reverse it but don’t quote me on that.

Last edited:
THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I only post this in case anyone else is looking at these drugs. I've felt like garbage for months and after looking at the fda's list of common side effects....all my crap can be explained from this. I wonder if docs are even aware? Depression, fatigue, low blood sugar, ED...those are the main for me but the list goes on. I'm wondering if this is where my insomnia is coming from too. Crazy stuff....I feel like such a fool. I dont trust these drugs ever but I was so desperate that I just jumped on what they told me to take. Lesson learned, again.
Good lesson to learn. You’re the ultimate authority on your health. Too much knowledge at our fingertips to not take control. You can honestly make yourself smarter than a dr on a given topic if you dedicate enough time to said topic

Last edited:

Sam stack

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Clonidine is my one of my favorite meds. Super helpful for a bunch of situations

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Was on metropolol and went to Lisinopril which is better for me. It’s ace inhibitor though.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Was on metropolol and went to Lisinopril which is better for me. It’s ace inhibitor though.
That's what I was on...metoprolol. now about 4-5 days out from throwing that crap out it was definately the cause of me several months long ed problems.. and so much other ****. Did you switch because of sides or for other reasons? I definately need something- and not having insurance a cheaper alternative is best the met was only costing me about 30$ a month

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lisinopril is $20 with my insurance for 180 pills.
That's 20mg each and I'm on 40mg daily. It actually works for my BP

(Met)
Met was **** at 50mg and I was going pee too much... also he had me on something else Water Pill.
I had BP spikes often. I think I recall having headaches, cramps (legs) and just didn't feel well on it.

The Lis. is working great. I take my BP twice a day and I'm feeling much better.
90 Day supply for $20 Walgreens.

$10 at Winn Dixi and $13.00 at Costco if you use GoodRX.
I'm not driving to Winn Dixi and we don't belong to Costco yet...

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lisinopril is $20 with my insurance for 180 pills.
That's 20mg each and I'm on 40mg daily. It actually works for my BP

(Met)
Met was **** at 50mg and I was going pee too much... also he had me on something else Water Pill.
I had BP spikes often. I think I recall having headaches, cramps (legs) and just didn't feel well on it.

The Lis. is working great. I take my BP twice a day and I'm feeling much better.
90 Day supply for $20 Walgreens.

$10 at Winn Dixi and $13.00 at Costco if you use GoodRX.
I'm not driving to Winn Dixi and we don't belong to Costco yet...
Thank you! Going to have a chat about options with the doc this week. Nice to come with a couple drugs to ask about instead of just eating the first thing that's offered.