Best way to protect against mercury in fish?

Astralogic

Awards
Hi, I love Tuna but I'm paranoid about the mercury in it. What is the best antioxident supplement to take that will protect me from the mercury?

Thanks

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read on this subject, there really isn't any supplements or antioxidants to "block" or "protect" from mercury. It would be best to limit your tuna intake, especially canned tuna, and substitute it with other protein sources or wild caught fish. How much are you eating per day?

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
Eat more sardines and kipper snacks... eat less tuna

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi, I love Tuna but I'm paranoid about the mercury in it. What is the best antioxident supplement to take that will protect me from the mercury?

Thanks
There isn't. Go by the recommended intake levels. I.e. for tuna no more than 2 cans per week.

APC80

APC80

Awards
I eat tuna 5-6 times a week and haven't died yet

mn72661

Awards
Certain brands (more expensive organic) are certified for lowest mercury per serving etc. Other than that, some studies indicate natural heavy metal detoxification including chlorella and cilantro can remove substantial levels of heavy metals from the system. BE CAREFUL with detoxifying yourself and do some serious research......You could theoretically block mercury uptake with supplements that help detox heavy metals themselves, eg chlorella and other avenues of jacking up glutathione levels in general............or just eat less tuna.

First, i'd also ask why the interest in tuna? is it the cheap protein source, or the convenience factor? Or something else? As others mentioned above there are other options that can probably satisfy those requirements or at least help you mix it up so weekly tuna consumption is relatively low.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
can't have more then two cans per week!!??? Are u srs
When did i say you can't? I said the recommended intake is 2 cans per week, how much you intake is up to you obviously. It's not like fish/tuna is the only form of protein available.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I eat tuna 5-6 times a week and haven't died yet
Although this is meant to be a funny, this is the view point many have about a lot of things. The issue isn't about dying immediately, its about the damage you do long term.

As an example, I know a very overweight guy who used hormones like they were candy for 5+ years with no real issues (never tested anything, but also felt he didn't need to), but then hit MAJOR heart issues in his early 30's. Could he have gotten these issues anyway? Perhaps. But I have no doubt that the high BP and high viscous blood caused by his use exacerbated the issue.

TLDL; dying now isn't the issue, its what happens 5, 10, 20 years down the track that is

To the OP, eat canned chicken instead or buy things like nut meat, protein powders etc. instead.

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
High dose nac around 2000mg per day should remove mercury toxins

APC80

APC80

Awards
I think I'll cut my tuna consumption down after reading this

jt75

jt75

Awards
  • Established
Most canned tuna is fine and the Mercury content will be minimal but @ 5 times per week or 260 times a year the op is heading into dangerous waters!
Excuse the pun

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Perhaps replace some tuna with sardines if you don't mind the taste/smell. They're smaller fish. I like them with hot sauce and chips/crackers.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I actually just watched a Stoppani Facebook video on this today and if you trust him he says 1-2 cans of albacore or 3-5 cans chunk light per week. He also said selenium can help negate mercury negative effects. He was probably singling out selenium because it's in VitaJym.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Although this is meant to be a funny, this is the view point many have about a lot of things. The issue isn't about dying immediately, its about the damage you do long term.

As an example, I know a very overweight guy who used hormones like they were candy for 5+ years with no real issues (never tested anything, but also felt he didn't need to), but then hit MAJOR heart issues in his early 30's. Could he have gotten these issues anyway? Perhaps. But I have no doubt that the high BP and high viscous blood caused by his use exacerbated the issue.

TLDL; dying now isn't the issue, its what happens 5, 10, 20 years down the track that is

To the OP, eat canned chicken instead or buy things like nut meat, protein powders etc. instead.
I knew a guy who put his hand through a wood chipper once, and he didn't die. I'm thinking about trying it. Don't warn me about danger!

deanX

Awards
i like tuna either, not aware how much mercury they contain per serving.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer