Best Substitute for Tate Press?

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tate press is hard for me to do because the tendons around me elbow pop back and forth over it and it's quite discomforting. More so, I feel when it happens I have just a slight moment where my grip decreases and I worry that if I try and go up higher in weight tht could be an issue. Any suggestions as to what might be the best replacement for it?

Much obliged.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not familiar with JM Press. How is it done? I'm about to look it up on YouTube, but I know that whenever I do this I always find videos that do lifts slightly differently. Example I recently looked up split squat and got different methods lol.

I'm asking as the Tate press is part of the 5x5 routine that I've recently started.

Thanks for the help.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look up the westside video or dave tates video for the JM press. And its a mix of an extension and close grip bench press. So you lay flat with a close grip, index finger on the smooth. Hold the bar right over your chest/shoulders. Lower the bar till its about 5-6 inches above your chest in the straight line over your upper chest. The video will show it all.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look up the westside video or dave tates video for the JM press. And its a mix of an extension and close grip bench press. So you lay flat with a close grip, index finger on the smooth. Hold the bar right over your chest/shoulders. Lower the bar till its about 5-6 inches above your chest in the straight line over your upper chest. The video will show it all.
Cool thanks.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gave these a try and doing them fully and correctly does the same to my elbow. If I do them a little more like a close grip bench then the actual Jim press then the elbow is fine. I'm going to keep working it as a warm up with light weights and see if maybe I just need to slowly strengthen my tendons. Next time I'm going to try the board press.