Best Specific Exercises to Strengthen Abs (and Nothing Else)

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

Two essential questions:

1. What are the best exercises in the world to get lower abs stronger?

2. What are the best exercises in the world to get obliques stronger?

Any research, etc. to stop speculation and bro-science would be great.

As I begin to get back into fitness, I realize how weak my abs are.

Yes, I have the bad anterior pelvic tilt, lateral pelvic tilt, tight hamstrings, hipflexors, weak glutes, lower back.

I realize that very weak ab muscles can make a person look like he has a bigger belly, and no obliques can make love handles look worse.

Even when I was 5% bodyfat fifteen years ago, my midsection still looked bad. I thought they were love handles and a big belly, but my doctor showed wrong.

I would love to do these exercises to get my weakest link better.
Ever since I am learning more about bracing, specifically moving with my lower abs, near the pubic area (and not sucking the whole stomach in), already I can see how very strong abs can be a weak contrast to very weak abs.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Jeff Cavalier Posts These as "Best in the World". Do we agree?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
weighted leg raises + good old fashioned situps.

incorporate weighted leg raises into workout...immediately after workout do situps.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1) You are not going to be able to train abs without other muscles playing some role in stability.
2) Research is not at a point where a study will tell you what is best. You can use EMG data and biomechanics to get a good idea of what will help
3) This depends on if you want isometric strength or contractile strength.
4) Isometric strength makes the most sense when looking at using the abs integrated into the core in movements like squats for example.
5) Isometric strength: Try Abs Wheel, Planks, Russian Planks, Side Planks, Rolling Planks
6) Contractile strength: Leg Raises seem the most specific to lower abs
7) I will not watch that video
8) If you train using movements like squats and deadlifts, your abs are likely not that weak, you likely just do not have good bracing patterns.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
on a different note, you can be strong as hell and have abs that don't look all that impressive-many strongmen don't have visible abs...do you want to strengthen abs for overall core strength or do you just want impressive LOOKING abs?

the workouts between a bodybuilder and a strongman can differ vastly.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You need to focus on core strength to get your abs strong. All the crunches in the world won't help as much as a good overhead squat would.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

I just remember that my core has always been so weak. Even when I was lean, I was slouching, etc.

If I had to list my weak links, core strength would be one of them.

I like Mark Verstegen's "Core Performance" even though his workouts take so long.

So, beyond asthetics, I want stronger, more functional abs, obliques, etc. My movement chain is terrible.

Barn1234

Barn1234

Awards
Honestly things like planks have helped me a lot with preventing poor posture and recovering from slipped discs. Deadbugs are pretty decent too as you can add kit like resistance bands and plates to make the exercise harder. These hollow body hold are pretty decent too, again you can add weights or bands to make it harder. Hope this helps?

btothefman

Awards
I find the ab roller is all I need, no way you can do a set of 50 without Adobe decent ab strength.

There was a recent article on Facebook Tnation they did a study on the best exercise for core strength and I think push ups won it???

Barn1234

Barn1234

Awards
I find the ab roller is all I need, no way you can do a set of 50 without Adobe decent ab strength.

There was a recent article on Facebook Tnation they did a study on the best exercise for core strength and I think push ups won it???
To be fair from standing those things are the devil!!

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Try Turkish get-ups.

seanmitchell12

Awards
My coach advised me to do bicycle exercises for abs, I started with 10 reps daily, but now i can easily manage 60 reps. This is due to my routine and diet plan.