Best shoes for Deadlifting?

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been dead lifting barefoot for a couple years. Great at first, but now my foot is starting to hurt pretty bad.

So for the last few months I've switched to my Adidas powerlift shoes. These made my foot feel a LOT better, but the elevated heel isn't the greatest for DL's. Sometimes pushes me too far forward.

Any advice for a shoe that offers good stability for a DL without interfering with form?

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Possibly not a very good recommendation but I use £3.50 chuck knock-offs from Primark for deadlifting, which I replace every few months. Adidas Sambas for squats.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Regarding Adidas powerlift shoes, my training partner uses those for almost a year now and swears they are the best for both squats and DLs. I see they are more for squats as they have an arch and are not flat.

I am looking at shoes for squats. I still DL barefoot.Yeah it is sore sometimes.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anything with a flat, preferably thin and hard, sole. Deadlift slippers, wrestling shoes, Sabo deadlift shoes, or similar is best but chucks, chuck knock offs, reebok's flat soled xfit shoes all work fine. No Bull shoes are supposedly flat too.

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Regarding Adidas powerlift shoes, my training partner uses those for almost a year now and swears they are the best for both squats and DLs. I see they are more for squats as they have an arch and are not flat.

I am looking at shoes for squats. I still DL barefoot.Yeah it is sore sometimes.
Yea the soles are great cause they are solid and stable, but the elevated heel is a problem. Kind of pushes you forward a bit. Can be dangerous on the heavier DLs.

Anything with a flat, preferably thin and hard, sole. Deadlift slippers, wrestling shoes, Sabo deadlift shoes, or similar is best but chucks, chuck knock offs, reebok's flat soled xfit shoes all work fine. No Bull shoes are supposedly flat too.
Ok so like the basic canvas chuck taylor high tops?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIHGMRG/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yup. Those will work fine. I prefer a thinner sole than what the chucks offer but theres a reason they've been a staple in powerlifting for decades. Plus, theyre the much more affordable option. I think you can find wrestling shoes fairly cheap too if you wanted a thinner sole but ive never looked into buying any so cant say for certain.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Chucke taylors or Air Force ones. Timbs are good as well, best for squats, but you may loook extra meatheadish

cycle

Awards
Chucke taylors or Air Force ones. Timbs are good as well, best for squats, but you may loook extra meatheadish
Nike Air Max LTD real leather and durable I've had mine for 5 years Squat and deadlift. Casual cross trainer. Just like the Nike Air Max 95 that's all around shoe for the gym in my opinion.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’d say just buy converse

Simple cheap does the job

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nike Air Max LTD real leather and durable I've had mine for 5 years Squat and deadlift. Casual cross trainer. Just like the Nike Air Max 95 that's all around shoe for the gym in my opinion.
I have actually been told by a few sports doctors and therapists that air maxes are horrible because of the way it positions your feet. I am guilty of wearing them, which is how I was told more than once, I love my air maxes lol. The reason why the ones I listed are optimal for weight training is because they are flat. The boots are raised in the heel, which is why I think they are good for squats, and they are sturdy. But all in all I guess whateve you are most comfortable in. I really like chuck taylors. Cheap and effective. As far as anything cardio related, running shoes are the way to go, at least for what I’ve experienced

Ps. I forgot to mention...

The best options are probably squat shoes for squat, the ones with the raised heel, dead lifting shoes or deadlift slippers for dead’s, running shoes for cario, and otomix for weight lifting. Personally I’m not have four types of foot wear though..

JackNBox

Awards
I've been dead lifting barefoot for a couple years. Great at first, but now my foot is starting to hurt pretty bad.

So for the last few months I've switched to my Adidas powerlift shoes. These made my foot feel a LOT better, but the elevated heel isn't the greatest for DL's. Sometimes pushes me too far forward.

Any advice for a shoe that offers good stability for a DL without interfering with form?
I was worried about this with the Addidas, I always wanted to buy a pair but didn’t want to spend $200 only to face plant while trying to deadlift lol

How do they feel as far as comfort? Are they pretty sturdy? Did they break in at all or do they hold true to form?

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was worried about this with the Addidas, I always wanted to buy a pair but didn’t want to spend $200 only to face plant while trying to deadlift lol

How do they feel as far as comfort? Are they pretty sturdy? Did they break in at all or do they hold true to form?
So the Adipower's are around 200. Look up the Powerlifts. They are about half that price.

Very sturdy and have broken in just a bit since I first got em. The heels are solid and make a difference especially for squats. Good shoe. Just not the greatest for DL's.

Juggernaut AM

Juggernaut AM

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
None. Thankfully, my gym lets me. :)

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup. Those will work fine.
I’d say just buy converse

Simple cheap does the job
Always Converse
Thanks all. Picked up a pair of converse all-stars. One last question...
There is ZERO arch support. Should I add a Dr. Scholl insert w/arch support? Or would that defeat the purpose of a flat, solid sole?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks all. Picked up a pair of converse all-stars. One last question...
There is ZERO arch support. Should I add a Dr. Scholl insert w/arch support? Or would that defeat the purpose of a flat, solid sole?
Dr. Scholls is cookie cutter garbage sold at Walmart. Take it from someone with flat feet, unless an insole is custom made, it isn't worth it. If your have good arches in your feet, lift without arch support. If you don't, get custom insoles.