Best Research for "Time Under Tension"

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hello Everyone,

What is the latest research on "Time Under Tension" say?

1. Body for Life, Hypertrophy Max, Mi40, have it as their focus, with 40-60 seconds of tension per set...no less, no more.

2. Some other studies say that time under tension is over-rated.

Is there a clear answer, for this point on progressive overload?

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
For me when I start hitting plateaus tension training and extreme negative motion focusing always helps me to start feeling sore the next day again.

But like any routine, after 8-10 weeks my gains start to slow down and the soreness stops coming.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hello Everyone,

What is the latest research on "Time Under Tension" say?

1. Body for Life, Hypertrophy Max, Mi40, have it as their focus, with 40-60 seconds of tension per set...no less, no more.

2. Some other studies say that time under tension is over-rated.

Is there a clear answer, for this point on progressive overload?
Going to be honest, wasn't sure if I wanted to pop into one of your threads again, but here we go.

You have to put some qualifiers on these questions. What does the latest research say for TUT on WHAT? You can't just leave it vague. The answer is going to be different depending on the purpose you are looking for. You'll also have to define what TUT means in the way you are asking.

Feel free to search databases like NCBI yourself if you are really interested in the research.

Any program that is over focused on one aspect is probably not worth following (at least for the long term).

It is going to vary depending on exercise, goal, etc.

IMO it doesn't seem the most important aspect, but there can be merits to keeping certain aspects of TUT in mind.

For me when I start hitting plateaus tension training and extreme negative motion focusing always helps me to start feeling sore the next day again.

But like any routine, after 8-10 weeks my gains start to slow down and the soreness stops coming.
Just keep in mind soreness doesn't necessarily indicate improved progress. Increased TUT with a long eccentric is going to increase muscle damage so it makes sense focusing on that will make you more sore.

Does sound like a good way to get a good change of pace and possibly decrease staleness and improve compliance with training to kick start some progress.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I went through a phase of incorporating TUT into my routines with the goal of hypertrophy without the joint killing high reps. What I found is that while it increased soreness, it was killing my joints as well and with little benefit from my perspective. The worst was normal concentric pace and slow eccentric phase.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
From my understanding, TUT is good for safe lifting/less risk of injury/less jarring on joints and ligaments.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

Hypertrophy Max seemed liked a well-designed system. A focus on Tension was the first month, followed by a month on density, etc.

Granted, we see the focus was musle hypertrophy, not strength of fat loss. If nothing else, Hypertrophy Max set a clear goal, and periodization changed again every month, with wave loading involved. A lot of guess work was taken out.