Best Rear Delt Exercises

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Compound and isolation. I can't bend over very far bc of back surgery so that's taken out a few exercises.

I do a lot of rows and reverse cable flies but still feel like my delts are lacking.

Ideas/suggestions?

-If I have to bend, I probably can't do it.-

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Search "Rear Delt Destroye" by Meadows. You'll pay prone on an low incline bench

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
facepulls are fantastic and massively underrated.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Another vote for rear delt destroyers.

Also, breezy11 just introduced me to the yoga ball flyes. You basically setup between a dual cable station as you would for flyes and lay back on the ball to support your back then just do normal reverse flyes. The support is nice and allows real focus on the delts without worrying about keeping your back straight or bending over

KidIcarus

KidIcarus

Awards
Face pulls, reverse flyes lying on an incline bench, reverse flyes on pec dec, cable reverse flyes, behind the neck shoulder press

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
High wide face pulls on a dual pulley…just tried it the other day and LOVE the contraction

[video=youtube;NYmKZptz7jQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYmKZptz7jQ[/video]

KidIcarus

KidIcarus

Awards
Awesome! I'm going to try those out tomorrow for my shoulders work-out!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For rear delts and mid-traps I like to superset with band pullaparts after all pulling movements (except deadlifts).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
High wide face pulls on a dual pulley…just tried it the other day and LOVE the contraction

I've done similar before but didn't have the cable machines, so I was doing bent over barbell rows, rowing into your upper chest/neck with a lower weight. Very similar movement for those with a limited setup.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm going to end my leg day tomorrow with a rear delt destroyer set.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm going to end my leg day tomorrow with a rear delt destroyer set.
They're my absolute favorite! They're awesome and quite brutal!! They look much easier than they are! Let us know how you like them!

jake1986

Awards
Just done shoulders this morning. Tried those facepull things with the rope. I never have really liked those. Lateral raises on an incline bench is where its at. Progressively going heavier over time

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

jake1986

Awards
I've built up my rear delta pretty good doing standing (bent over) lateral raises ...sometimes using a little body english

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've built up my rear delta pretty good doing standing (bent over) lateral raises ...sometimes using a little body english
I can't bend enough to have good form for bent over rows/lat raises.

Aesthetic2.0

Awards
Face Pulls and Reverse Pec Dec are good rear delt exercises that don't require bending over

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I can't bend enough to have good form for bent over rows/lat raises.
Have you tried just laying in an incline bench? That would eliminate any back involvement.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Props to this move right here. Tried it yesterday after seeing it in here, and combined with a couple sets of reverse pec deck, my rear delts have some nice DOMS going on.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Props to this move right here. Tried it yesterday after seeing it in here, and combined with a couple sets of reverse pec deck, my rear delts have some nice DOMS going on.
I don't have a dual pulley like that in my gym

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another vote for rear delt destroyers.

Also, breezy11 just introduced me to the yoga ball flyes. You basically setup between a dual cable station as you would for flyes and lay back on the ball to support your back then just do normal reverse flyes. The support is nice and allows real focus on the delts without worrying about keeping your back straight or bending over
Here's the exercise and an explanation as to why the ball is used. Basically it helps you keep your scapulae from retracting, which is ideal when trying to isolate the rear delts.

https://instagram.com/p/8zYZYLwmpw/